How to fix Issue #5998?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

How to fix Issue #5998?

Post by Andrew350 »

So about four years ago I posted this to FlySpray: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/5998

As you can see there was hot debate on how to implement it :P I see now that andythenorth eventually offered to discuss it over IRC, but being on the opposite side of the world from everyone makes that a somewhat difficult medium to spark a useful discussion, not to mention my complete ignorance of OpenTTD's code. However it still stands out to me as an oversight of the original implementation of NewGRF Cargoes, and I really think it should be addressed.

So I post this here for discussion: Is there a good solution for at least displaying NewGRF-modified cargo names in the town information window? And while we're on the subject, is there the possibility of also expanding it to more cargoes, giving it some flexibility similar to the way the industry info window works?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: How to fix Issue #5998?

Post by Andrew350 »

Here's a screenshot of the town information window:
Unnamed, Jan 1st, 1995#1.png
(736.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The "MAIL" cargo in the active NewGRF (Wasteland) has been renamed to "Wastelanders", but the name "mail" still persists in the town information window. In addition, the houses in the selected town have been modified to accept cargoes other than "passengers" and "mail", however there is no support for showing this behavior to the player like there is for modified industries.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”