AI: Ships (Implementing?)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Steve2k4
Engineer
Engineer

AI: Ships (Implementing?)

Post by Steve2k4 »

Is anyone working on implementing this? I only ask because I was going to tackle it myself out of sheer boredom. Looks like there are only a handful or two of unfinished functions. Shouldn't be too complicated (I may have just jinxed myself).

I think it would be interesting to see how the AI would handle ships and boueys. I was also thinking of improving the AI some day. Speaking of which, why is it the AI not allowed to do cross over tracks like a + sign? Just seems a bit strange.

Anyways, if there are any suggestions you dev's have for this little project of mine or things I should watch out for, I'd appreciate them. :P
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: AI: Ships (Implementing?)

Post by dominik81 »

Steve2k4 wrote:Is anyone working on implementing this? I only ask because I was going to tackle it myself out of sheer boredom. Looks like there are only a handful or two of unfinished functions. Shouldn't be too complicated (I may have just jinxed myself).

Anyways, if there are any suggestions you dev's have for this little project of mine or things I should watch out for, I'd appreciate them. :P
No one is currently working on ship AI, so go ahead. :D Your code should be formated corretly, and be a simple and fast as possible. Sorry, I don't have any other advice than such basic stuff right now. :roll:
Steve2k4 wrote:why is it the AI not allowed to do cross over tracks like a + sign? Just seems a bit strange.
Good question. I assume there was a reason at some point in the development of TTD. But now in OpenTTD I don't see a point for it. Instead of those stupid bridges we might as well have a crossing with signals.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Steve2k4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steve2k4 »

Alright,

I will get started on this when the next release is out. Just a few things I need to take care of in my life first (blah, a social life is a real drain on my programming).

Also, I was thinking of expanding the amount of ships you can purchase and possibly even making spread-able docks (so you don't have a waiting queue that is 5 miles long). I'm not a real fan of ships, cuz they are slower than dirt, but if it is in the game, why not use it, eh?

So many ideas... guess I'll move my thoughts over to the suggestions board.

Thanx for your time,
Steve2k4
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Steve2k4 wrote:Also, I was thinking of expanding the amount of ships you can purchase and possibly even making spread-able docks (so you don't have a waiting queue that is 5 miles long).
Then this thread may be of interest to you.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

dominik81 wrote:
Steve2k4 wrote:why is it the AI not allowed to do cross over tracks like a + sign? Just seems a bit strange.
Good question. I assume there was a reason at some point in the development of TTD. But now in OpenTTD I don't see a point for it. Instead of those stupid bridges we might as well have a crossing with signals.
If the computer got the nice idea of adding signals, it will get confused if it adds more signals in such a place. Some clever thinking is needed here
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

Steve2k4 wrote:Is anyone working on implementing this? I only ask because I was going to tackle it myself out of sheer boredom. Looks like there are only a handful or two of unfinished functions. Shouldn't be too complicated (I may have just jinxed myself).

I think it would be interesting to see how the AI would handle ships and boueys...
The AI already uses ships I have seen it before they send multiple oil tankers on full load to an oil rig :roll: . As for boueys they don't use them. and for the AI crossings why not put two crossing tunnels like this:

I was going to post a screenshot but THE SERVER WON'T LET ME :evil:
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
Steve2k4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steve2k4 »

The AI already uses ships I have seen it before they send multiple oil tankers on full load to an oil rig . As for boueys they don't use them.
Is this in TTD or OpenTTD? Because in OpenTTD the code isn't there for the AI to buy ships (well, in my compilation there is, but it is still buggy).

All in all, I think the AI needs a major overhaul. I'm only doing one small thing and it is freaking out. I tried to have the AI put signals with a crossover, it crashed :roll:.

I'm gonna write up a guideline for AI that can be looked at and maybe even used. Something that will give the game a bit more challenge. Stuff like competitive construction or even efficient construction. None of this will be easy but, it will be worthwhile in the long run.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Dan wrote:

I think it would be interesting to see how the AI would handle ships and boueys...
The AI already uses ships I have seen it before they send multiple oil tankers on full load to an oil rig :roll: . As for boueys they don't use them. and for the AI crossings why not put two crossing tunnels like this:

I was going to post a screenshot but THE SERVER WON'T LET ME :evil:
Convert it to png and attach..
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

The colors get messed up when converting to png, mentioned that before in another topic.

Steve2k4: Oh I thought both OTTD and TTD did sorry :oops:
Last edited by Dan on 12 Jun 2004 17:50, edited 3 times in total.
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Try GIF or (if truly desperate) JPG then
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

It is JPG when I press add attachment to add it to my post it says:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

It didn't do this on the old server. :?
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

ok... i only saw a ship one of my tto...
afterwards i saw it in a few ttd scenarios... but i must say ai ships r very rare and appears only in scenarios.

with sum coding u can make em come out in random games..
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

One thing about ship emplementing. If you give AI the idea and allowability, not a word but okay, for canals then we might not be very lucky. I think we all know what the computer does with roads when its having a hard time? Canals would be sooooooo a disaster! Imagine it... and ph33r it...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Have you seen TrueLight's new road vehicle AI in the General OpenTTD forum? While it's not complete, it's already very good. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”