remember to update the changelog for each new feature

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

add a line in the changelog for use in the next release and include that one in your patch. We have forgotten too much in the changelog so far.

I added the two lines about the new OSes and ludde had no problem in remember to include that when we made a quick release due to the Czech language problem (pasky, the rest of us can't understand it :? )
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Didn't we simply update the changelog for every release so far? That's easier than commiting the changelog each time.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Doesn't ludde take care of the changelog anyway? It looks like he wants it this way, considering that when commiting his fixes lately he didn't update the changelog neither. :)

I think it would be more efficient to update the changelog each time you commit stuff, but it's up to the one who maintains it.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

dominik81 wrote:Didn't we simply update the changelog for every release so far? That's easier than commiting the changelog each time.
That is what we have done so far and we have forgotten something in each release. That's my point
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: remember to update the changelog for each new feature

Post by Darkvater »

Bjarni wrote:remember to update the changelog for each new feature

add a line in the changelog for use in the next release and include that one in your patch. We have forgotten too much in the changelog so far.
I agree. Whilest it is easy to just do an "svn log" you would still have to filter through it and copy/paste the relevant ones. If we update changelog with each update, there will be no such problems.

Of course we don't want any updates to changelog like "update makefile for morphos" "fixed makefile for morphos" "fixed again" "hopefully last time". So be a bit selective and critic of your own patches and only update if you think it is really relevant :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: remember to update the changelog for each new feature

Post by pasky »

Darkvater wrote:Of course we don't want any updates to changelog like "update makefile for morphos" "fixed makefile for morphos" "fixed again" "hopefully last time". So be a bit selective and critic of your own patches and only update if you think it is really relevant :)
The primary rule should be: List only things which changed from the last release. That means add entry for a fix of a bug which was already in previous release (or you think so) but not entry for a fix of a bug which appear after the last release.

So if you added a MorphOS support to Makefile, it's fine, list it in the Changelog. But when you then fix it before the next release twice, you are fixing bugs which weren't in the previous release so it doesn't get into the Changelog. The users peek to the Changelog to see what changed between two releases, in-release plays do not interest them.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I of course forgot to update the changelog, but want to make up for it. But where should I put it? The changelog now looks like:

Code: Select all

0.3.2.1 (2004-05-23)
- Fix: use english.lng by default
- Fix: No bridges available in 1920
So I put it like this?

Code: Select all

- Newfeature free beer every 2 hours

0.3.2.1 (2004-05-23)
- Fix: use english.lng by default
- Fix: No bridges available in 1920
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

that would be ok, and thanks :lol:
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Head developers decided not to do this....so I think this sticky is obsolete.

I think I got my point through though for more descriptive SVN commit messages :lol:
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Darkvater wrote:Head developers decided not to do this....so I think this sticky is obsolete.
:cry:
I do it and will continue to do so
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

where is the feature and bugfix list for nightlies?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

dominik81 wrote:It hasn't moved an inch

Return to “OpenTTD Development”