Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Are we going to see 0.3.2 anytime soon? There're tons of bugfixes and updates in the SVN and it should be pretty stable too. The golden rule of opensource development: release early, release often! ;-)

ludde?
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I think we should make 0.3.2 as soon as the airports are included
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Bjarni wrote:I think we should make 0.3.2 as soon as the airports are included
Well that depends on how stable are they and how fast will they be merged, I think. ;-) Perhaps it would be easier and safer to release 0.3.2 and apply airports right after the release - so that we don't introduce bugs into OTTD right before a release.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I'll testify for the stability of the new airports :).

However, it would've been really nice if they were included in SVN some time ago, because then people would've had the chance to test it and report certain 'glitches'.

Ludde was still understanding the code and decisions I made for it. If he's done with that all we need is to include the graphics, new graphics perhaps, and solve 1 thing I couldn't.

Old savegames would be compatible with the new airports version. So you can keep playing your old games. But once you have 'upgraded', you cannot go back!
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

FYI, 0.3.2 was supposed to get off on Wednesday but ludde was too busy and now he's away until Saturday. So 0.3.2 is generally expected to arrive then. AFAIK the general consensus was to release 0.3.2 and then put new airports and perhaps the GRF codec to SVN.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Very well. Sorry for the people that won't get airports, or your great support for tempset/arcticset (or will that be included?) in 0.3.2.

IMHO after adding these 2 to SVN we should decide as soon as possible on the new graphics format to 1. change ottd's alleged gray-legal status, and 2. give the community what they want....a lot of customizations. Will network be officially supported in 0.3.2?

Next version should be released then when new vehicles/trains/airplanes (basically all TTDPATCH Action possibilities and maybe a few more) can be dynamically added at startup, and new airports can be added by users.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Darkvater wrote:Very well. Sorry for the people that won't get airports, or your great support for tempset/arcticset (or will that be included?) in 0.3.2.
Of course it depends on ludde, but I'd advise against it.
Darkvater wrote:IMHO after adding these 2 to SVN we should decide as soon as possible on the new graphics format to 1. change ottd's alleged gray-legal status, and 2. give the community what they want....a lot of customizations. Will network be officially supported in 0.3.2?
I never really got the (1) argument, how could using a specific graphics format affect copyright status of anything.
Darkvater wrote:Next version should be released then when new vehicles/trains/airplanes (basically all TTDPATCH Action possibilities and maybe a few more) can be dynamically added at startup, and new airports can be added by users.
Well just my 2 eurocents, but my personal experience says that a new version should be released as soon as a reasonable amount of changes accumulated. Waiting with a new version for specific features can prolong it by a *LONG* time without any gain. We could define a set of goals we would like to fulfill for 0.4, but I think new releases should appear freely inside of the 0.3 line. *shrug*
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I'd suggest we'd fix the known bugs first that are still on SourceForge and then release 0.3.2. I know bug fixing is boring but a necessity. :lol:
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

FYI, it has been released this afternoon.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”