Graphics for double/quad sized-UI

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Graphics for double/quad sized-UI

Post by Zephyris »

I noticed there's now an option to double the UI size, which is epic! I've got a few technical questions for how to develop graphics for it...
1. How are the 2x graphics encoded in the base graphics? As alternate sprites for extra zoom levels, as for map extra zoom level sprites?
2. How do pixel fonts work now? Would 2x zoom pixel fonts give the expected result?
3. Can 2x sprites be provided for the main menu UI too, eg. the climate selection?

And a couple of feedback things:
1. The Game Settings window is too tall to be useful on typical resolutions with doubled UI. Wasn't there a policy on window sizes to always fit on the screen at 1x zoom 800x600 px, which I think this now breaks?
2. With doubled UI wouldn't it make sense for the viewport windows (expecially vehicles, also the extra viewport) to display the map at double zoom? And quad for quad?
3. Would it make sense to change the default map zoom when changing UI scaling (though this is a purely cosmetic thing).
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Graphics for double/quad sized-UI

Post by andythenorth »

AFAIK it's just run-time scaling to 2x or 4x. There might be something I don't know.

Multiple windows don't work right at 2x zoom, including settings. Station building is also a gong show (the station tile window fills the area where you need to build) :D .

UI zoom is awesome though ;)
Last edited by andythenorth on 18 Nov 2017 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I noticed the 2x UI uses vehicle sprites from the 2x zoom level... It also looks like my 2x zoom UI sprites are somehow used, even without the GRF installed...
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Looking at the changelog for OpenGFX it appears that your 2x gui sprites were added in 0.5.2 back in 2015. I assume that was to support this feature, but I'm very much out of the loop on this stuff.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”