NewGRF Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF Airports

Post by TrainLover »

Can someone explain to me how one would create a NewGRF airport? I've been looking through the website, and the only way that people were able to get new airports in were through actual patches instead of NewGRFs. The devs want new airports through the NewGRF system instead of the patch system, so I am wondering if trunk has the ability to support NewGRF airports, as no one has tried making them yet.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF Airports

Post by Leanden »

You cant make new layouts, but you can change the graphics on exisiting ones
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Leanden wrote:You cant make new layouts, but you can change the graphics on exisiting ones
Also there are rotated versions of each default layout available. OGFX+ Airports includes all 4 rotations for each airport, it's spooky :D

I haven't looked how that's actually implemented, but there are airport layouts and tiles in the newgrf spec. I suspect they have limitations, but eh :) https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action0/Airports
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Well, you can also, of course, look at how OpenGFX+Airports does it. It adds rotations to all, new graphics to all. And, if memory serves me well, one or two additional versions for an existing layout (like a sea plane one of the usual small airport - if not, bug me and I can try to dig it up somewhere on my hard disks)

You can change the tile layout of the airports (add additional tiles or skip tiles unused by planes - but you cannot change the movement pattern of planes and helicopters). The movement pattern is tied to the top left tile of the airport in the default rotation.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:And, if memory serves me well, one or two additional versions for an existing layout (like a sea plane one of the usual small airport - if not, bug me and I can try to dig it up somewhere on my hard disks)
Yes, the latest nightlies (now nearly a year old) have them. Is there a reason that can't be pushed to BaNaNaS now? :)
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

So in this version (1.7.1) of OpenTTD someone can't make new airport layouts? One would need to make a patch to create new layouts? How come the devs then won't add larger airports to trunk?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

TrainLover wrote:How come the devs then won't add larger airports to trunk?
To speak plainly, there isn't anyone who can do it that wants to do it :)

Also it would be better done as newgrf airports, but the first point still applies :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Having tried all the various (read: two) of the airport patches, they're not good. They're huge, yes, but planes get snarled badly, there is poorly thought out plane movement and control. If we could change the movement of planes in the current airports, it would only take a small tweak to make them much more efficient.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

There is of course modular airports albeit in super slow development
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

So, why can't you change the layout of airport layouts? Would I need to change the pathfinder if I wanted to change the layout of the airports? Also I thought Modular Airports is dead.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:
planetmaker wrote:And, if memory serves me well, one or two additional versions for an existing layout (like a sea plane one of the usual small airport - if not, bug me and I can try to dig it up somewhere on my hard disks)
Yes, the latest nightlies (now nearly a year old) have them. Is there a reason that can't be pushed to BaNaNaS now? :)
I guess there's no real reason... the reason - back then and as far as I remember - was: it's not yet finished as in that it somewhat doesn't quite fit the theme... it's an odd airport which doesn't fit anything nor are there planes for it. But... maybe that's not enough of a reason
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

So, since one can't edit the layouts of the airports, is making it so that someone can join airports possible? For example I can stack two Intercontinental Airports near each other without a feeder system from the two airports? If yes, can someone point to me in the source code where I would probably be able to find it and play around with the values?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

TrainLover wrote:So, since one can't edit the layouts of the airports, is making it so that someone can join airports possible? For example I can stack two Intercontinental Airports near each other without a feeder system from the two airports? If yes, can someone point to me in the source code where I would probably be able to find it and play around with the values?
It is not yet possible to join airports together. It is a feature that many players want. You're free to work on the source code and develop a patch. Go here to learn about the guidelines and requirements for developing code for OpenTTD, how to set up your computer for development and how to to download the source code from the repository.

If you can find a way to implement NewGRF airports with new, independent state machines, that would be awesome. If you can find a way to join multiple airports, that would also be awesome. We need talented people like yourself who are willing to take a stab at it, and to keep working on it until it reaches a point that it can be permanently patched into trunk.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

You might even consider developing this further: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=74633

Code is on the 3rd page.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Don't know if this should be in another thread, but when I try and compile with Microsoft Visual Studio (newest version), I keep getting the C1090 error. By the way, this is my sister's computer, and here's a text file with all of the compiler problems.
Attachments
Compiling Problems.txt
All compiler problems.
(61.67 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:
kamnet wrote:
I guess there's no real reason... the reason - back then and as far as I remember - was: it's not yet finished as in that it somewhat doesn't quite fit the theme... it's an odd airport which doesn't fit anything nor are there planes for it. But... maybe that's not enough of a reason
There are a couple of planes in AV8 that can be refitted to look like seaplanes. The only thing is that OpenTTD itself doesn't have seplane as a specific type of vehicle, so with this "fake airport" you could technically have landplanes take off from the water. It would be nice if the developers did develop a specific class of vehicle for it, but I suspect it's not a priority at all. With that said, I think if the seaplane airport (with its limitations and issues) was released, you might see Pikkabird or another artist/coder decide to come along and make some. I've certainly got plenty of stats to help them get started.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:There are a couple of planes in AV8 that can be refitted to look like seaplanes. The only thing is that OpenTTD itself doesn't have seplane as a specific type of vehicle, so with this "fake airport" you could technically have landplanes take off from the water. It would be nice if the developers did develop a specific class of vehicle for it, but I suspect it's not a priority at all. With that said, I think if the seaplane airport (with its limitations and issues) was released, you might see Pikkabird or another artist/coder decide to come along and make some. I've certainly got plenty of stats to help them get started.
There are already a couple seaplane-only aircraft in AV8, in addition to the ones with amphibian refits. You just have to activate the "Seaplane Preview" NewGRF parameter to enable them, but that is off by default.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

Return to “OpenTTD Development”