Cannot open include files

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Roggin
Engineer
Engineer

Cannot open include files

Post by Roggin »

Hi, I've been looking into making my own build of OpenTTD with some minor game mechanics tweaks but I can't seem to make it work.

I've followed the visual studio compile guide from the wiki.
The issue Iam having is about 21 errors of cannot open include file.
Starting with unicode/coll.h
I think the issue could be with steps 2.9 and 2.10 of this guide.

I did add the lines to the VC++ configuration but the errors are exactly the same as if I didn't.

What could I be doing wrong?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Cannot open include files

Post by Alberth »

Listing all possible things that you can do wrong in all of the zillion steps, such that a compiler will fail to find one of the zillion files won't fit on the Internet.

So instead, please provide details. What files does it claim are missing?
Do you have those files?
Where are they?
What is the set directories that you gave as include search path to the compiler? (and pointing to the guide doesn't help, as your machine configuration is likely different in some minor way, like a missed typo or so, please give these things from your own install).

I am not a Windows user, so I cannot help you even if you would provide those details (other than the obvious "add that directory of the files to the include search path"), but the above details make it possible to point out a more directed search rather than "help, anything can be wrong, please guide me".
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Roggin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roggin »

[+] Spoiler
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\fontdetection.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\fontdetection.h 19
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\crashlog.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\fontcache.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\fontdetection.h 19
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'layout/ParagraphLayout.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\gfx.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\gfx_layout.h 23
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'layout/ParagraphLayout.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\gfx_layout.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\gfx_layout.h 23
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'png.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\heightmap.cpp 41
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\network\network_content.cpp 27
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'png.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\screenshot.cpp 231
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'layout/ParagraphLayout.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\openttd.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\gfx_layout.h 23
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\strgen\strgen_base.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/ustring.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\string.cpp 30
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\strings.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\fontdetection.h 19
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'layout/ParagraphLayout.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\townname.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\gfx_layout.h 23
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\genworld_gui.cpp 290
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\genworld_gui.cpp 338
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\genworld_gui.cpp 339
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\genworld_gui.cpp 898
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\genworld_gui.cpp 902
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\intro_gui.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\settings_gui.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\textfile_gui.cpp 25
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'lzo/lzo1x.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\saveload\saveload.cpp 1965
Warning C4334 '<<': result of 32-bit shift implicitly converted to 64 bits (was 64-bit shift intended?) openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\3rdparty\squirrel\squirrel\sqdebug.cpp 118
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\game\game_text.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\newgrf.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'unicode/coll.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file ..\src\newgrf_text.cpp) openttd c:\users\igor\desktop\openttd\src\language.h 17
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'dmusici.h': No such file or directory openttd C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\openttd\src\music\dmusic.cpp 27
All of the files mentioned appear to be in the OpenTTD essentials/shared/include folder.
[+] Spoiler
Those would be the directories I set up in VS. Which is where the files are.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Might also be, that the (correct) openttd-useful install is either missing or incorrectly installed.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

A thought - on the screenshot we can see that you set up the "Release - Win32" configuration, but perhaps you are building the "Debug" or the "Win64" configuration? Try building "Release - Win32" or try setting up other configurations.

Note that the library path you entered (...\OpenTTD essentials\win64\library) is for 64-bit builds but you put it into "Win32" configuration. This will fail while linking.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
Roggin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roggin »

Thanks for the tip, I noticed that while taking the screenshot, tried matching with 32 and 64, both result in the same kind of errors.
Roggin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roggin »

Seems like I managed to compile the thing in Ubuntu. I'll continue there. Thanks everyone.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i love topics like this.

"my country is flooded, please send help"
"ok, i solved it by moving to another country"

Return to “OpenTTD Development”