Reccomendation for gameplay improvements to the Dev's

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hattyfatner
Engineer
Engineer

Reccomendation for gameplay improvements to the Dev's

Post by Hattyfatner »

Just a couple of simple suggestions I wanted to make for the dev's to consider at some point.

1) Right click cancels the tool your using.

2) Windows open up in the center of the screen.

3) A button for organising the windows on screen.

4) Tab button displays number of passengers in stations whilst pressed.

Just a few very simple improvements to an almost perfect game!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Reccomendation for gameplay improvements to the Dev's

Post by Alberth »

<sigh/>
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Hattyfatner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hattyfatner »

Oh sorry, has this been suggested before? Are they bad suggestions?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Just two things:

1. How do you know these are simple extensions? Have you written a patch for them? If not, do you have any programming experience? If not, why do you think you can judge complexity of a subject you know nothing about?

2. What makes you think we need suggestions? Please look at the openttd suggestions forum. Please look at bugs.openttd.org and sort on "feature request".

Sorry, sometimes I just get enough of people trying to shove work on my plate.

In short, your ideas are not going anywhere unless you start to work for your ideas. It's an open source game, everybody can make changes, and add features. I have seen people of 68 start making graphics for the game. I have seen teenagers starting learning to program due to the game. You can do it too, if you put your mind to it.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

In addirion to what Alberth said, by posting this in the Development subforum (instead if the Suggestions subforum) you are expected to post a patch or at least work on it.
Here are some pointers for you:
1. Right click is already used for map scrolling (by dragging) - it would be pretty annoying if the build tools are disabled every time you scroll that way. You'd have to find a way to trigger your action (disabling the build tools) on button release instead of button press (which is how all other actions are triggered), and only if the mouse wasn't moved (or at least: wasn't moved a lot). I think the Android port has some work in that direction as part of its touchscreen-friendliness improvements.
2. That way new windows are guaranteed to overlap, which is BAD. You might want to tweak the existing window placement procedures instead. Be warned: this is a hard task, partly because there is no optimal solution. There are at least as many solutions to this as there are graphical operating systems, some better, some worse, some just different. Some may even be better for one person and worse for another.
3. I prefer arranging them manually. ("Grr, where did window <xyz> go again? ... Oh, found it, it was moved to the top right corner this time.") But if you want to have your windows shuffled, try it by removing all windows from the screen and adding them back one by one using the same placement routines as when opening new windows.
4. The Tab button does fast-forward already. It is one of very few buttons (or maybe the only button?) with a hardcoded keybinding due to some special behavior: it does fast-forward only as long as the button is pressed. To avoid annoying other players by obscuring their stations with the passenger count (and perhaps other cargo count as well?) every time they use the Tab button for fast-forward, you could either make an option for it (similar to the loading indicators in the transparency options; probably disabled by default), or if you don't want to couple it with fast-forward you could use another key instead (but check what it does in the default keybindings to avoid other conflicts) and either duplicate Tab's special behavior or make it a toggle key like the transparency option hotkeys.

Happy coding!
Hattyfatner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hattyfatner »

Well that was a friendly and positive experience.

I am very encouraged by you guys.

Obviously if I can't actually code it myself I'm wasting everyone's time.

Maybe if you could actually develop you would have less time to write long responses or dismissive rude replies to anyone who would try and contribute even an idea.

They are simple suggestion. My theory is you just suck at programming.

PS. If tab button is used for FF maybe another button? Caps-Lock?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Hattyfatner wrote:Well that was a friendly and positive experience. I am very encouraged by you guys. Obviously if I can't actually code it myself I'm wasting everyone's time.
Not to be rude, but you are wasting everyone's time. The purpose of this forum is very clearly lined out in a post that is pinned at the top of the forum that was meant for you to read before your started posting. It's very short and to the point.

As was mentioned, if your purpose was only to make a suggestion, then that goes over in the OpenTTD Suggestions forum.
Hattyfatner wrote:Maybe if you could actually develop you would have less time to write long responses or dismissive rude replies to anyone who would try and contribute even an idea. They are simple suggestion. My theory is you just suck at programming.
So, let me understand this. You're new to these forums. You don't bother to read any of the rules of the community, you don't bother to read very important information that is pinned at the top of the forum, you don't bother to post in the correct forum, and you don't even bother to read any of the other posts to see if your "simple suggestions" have even been suggested before. But when one of our senior members of these boards, and also a developer, point this out, it isn't you being rude, it's them?

You are getting off entirely on the wrong foot here. You should step back and re-consider your attitude if you ever expect to have a polite response - or any further responses - from other members of the community.

And as for your suggestions, yes, they are simple to suggest. As Alberth pointed out, they're not simple to program. Alberth spends a lot of time and many years here contributing to improving OpenTTD, fixing bugs and working on new features. You, quite frankly, haven't done anything. If you think what Alberth does is so easy, then I encourage you to start learning how to code, and then learn how to code to OpenTTD's standards, and start contributing some work. You can work on your own ideas, of course, but there's certainly a nice long list of other requests that players would like to see implemented that you might find more beneficial to work on.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Hattyfatner wrote:Obviously if I can't actually code it myself I'm wasting everyone's time.
It's never too late to learn new things.
Hattyfatner wrote:They are simple suggestion. My theory is you just suck at programming.
Alright, so it's even easier to prove me wrong eh?

So please show you mean business, and starting coding. I know it's a great way to spend your time.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Hattyfatner wrote:Maybe [...] you would have less time to write long responses or dismissive rude replies to anyone
well, we did try short dismissive responses first...
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

"Hey guys please do this stuff for me for free, in your spare time. What do you mean it's not that simple, you guys SUCK"

What a brilliant way to introduce yourself.
Hattyfatner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hattyfatner »

<sigh/>
...and this is a none rude and welcoming way to treat new members?

Obviously "Please post suggestions in the Suggestions forum" wasn't kurt or dismissive or rude enough for you and you had to use super clever html dove emotes to explain exactly nothing about where I'd gone wrong so soon in my hopeful foray nto the forums only to met by the smuggest and condescending and not to mention childish response form someone who claims to be upoholder of etiquette on those very message boards!

I put it to you sir, that are a bad coder if you don;t understand how to bind a right click function to a cancel selected tool operation.

You are doing it for free but don't expect me to be impressed because you can change a few lines of code in a database to change the acceleration speed of a 1990's coal truck.

I wasn't demanding anything of you either and I don't know where you got that from. I called you a bad developer because you went no way whatsoever of explaining in any way exactly why these things were so very impossible and complex and too confusing for me to understand which makes me think your talking completely out of your arse.

All hail the selfless god of programming in C++ for giving up his valuable time for us greedy simpering sod's, endlessly hectoring you and demanding more!

You really are super up yourself young man.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

Just consider that maybe not everybody around are wrong but it is you who is wrong.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This topic is already getting ugly and will only deteriorate more. I will close it. If somebody objects, please send me a PM with your explanation as to why this should remain open and I will consider that. Thank you.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”