[patch+binaries] Disable/ignore local authorities

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

p0358
Engineer
Engineer

[patch+binaries] Disable/ignore local authorities

Post by p0358 »

I rewrote an older patch for this (from here). Local authorities are sometimes so annoying, when they disallow various things when your reputation is low, you can make a bribe, but local investivators may catch you and you won't be able to make any action for the next 6 months... So there it is, enjoy.
Functions:
- an option in advanced settings called "Ignore local authorities"
- when enabled, you can destroy cities' buildings, roads etc. as long as you have money for it, however, it will still affect your reputation
- this option has SLF_NO_NETWORK_SYNC and SGF_NO_NETWORK flag, so it shouldn't work in multiplayer, you cheaters :)
- it does NOT save the option to the game saves, so you can remove/stop using the patch at any time without any harm
- cities will still dislike you for removing things (should I add an option to change that?), but they won't prevent you from building stations
- it also saves you from bribes (you probably won't need them with this patch anyways) as you can see on the screenshot below:
2016-06-11 (4).png
(2.06 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Let me know if you would like to see that kind of feature (unlimited bribes) in a separate patch (and either with that informational "error" window [which doesn't stop the bribe] or without it, just disable the "local investigators" if patch was enabled).

The patch is based on OpenTTD 1.6.1-RC1 source code.
There you have git patch file:
no_local_authorities.patch
(11.44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
I'm also giving you precompiled binaries with installer for Windows (version ga0e70051M-no_local_authorities). Links to installers are below, because I can't upload it as attachments here (I can't upload an exe, but I could upload a zip with an exe inside... does that make sense?):
openttd-1.6.1-RC1-win32.exe
openttd-1.6.1-RC1-win64.exe
Please note that these installers are named "1.6.1-RC1", but they actually contain version "ga0e70051M-no_local_authorities" which is 1.6.1-RC source + my patch - this won't let you play on multiplayer with people on 1.6.1-RC1 version (or any other than "ga0e70051M-no_local_authorities"), so you may want to install my version into some separate folder. These are installers built with original NSIS scripts for it, but you can always apply patch yourself if you don't trust me.

I hope you enjoy it. :) Let me know about your thoughts on it.
This is my first patch ever btw, so let me know if it works at all when you patch the source yourself :D
Last edited by p0358 on 12 Jun 2016 03:10, edited 5 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [patch+binaries] Disable/ignore local authorities

Post by Eddi »

i strongly urge you to NOT call these binaries "1.6.1-RC1" (or anything resembling an official release)

people WILL confuse them with official releases, and the WILL go on multiplayer games with them, and they WILL desync, and they WILL blame this on the openttd team and they WILL be annoyed.
p0358
Engineer
Engineer

Post by p0358 »

Eddi wrote:i strongly urge you to NOT call these binaries "1.6.1-RC1" (or anything resembling an official release)

people WILL confuse them with official releases, and the WILL go on multiplayer games with them, and they WILL desync, and they WILL blame this on the openttd team and they WILL be annoyed.
That's just auto-generated installer name, it shows different version in-game (ga0e70051M-no_local_authorities exactly) and it does not and won't let you enter any servers until you or someone creates one with this particular version from these 2 installers (but you can't have fun with a friend on multiplayer with limitless city destroying on the ga0e70051M-no_local_authorities version, because ignoring local authorities is disabled on network play). I can add some warning to the main post though.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that's better, then, but you still should rename the files.

also, the naming routine of the installer should probably be reviewed.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Magic bulldozer

CTRL+ALT+C
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The Growl wrote:Magic bulldozer CTRL+ALT+C
Even if you use this, though, it won't save you from a bad reputation. You can destroy things, but you won't be able to build them unless your reputation is sufficient. That's why this patch makes sense. At least if you're playing for eyecandy and sandbox purposes and you're not playing against the game itself.
p0358
Engineer
Engineer

Post by p0358 »

kamnet wrote:
The Growl wrote:Magic bulldozer CTRL+ALT+C
Even if you use this, though, it won't save you from a bad reputation. You can destroy things, but you won't be able to build them unless your reputation is sufficient. That's why this patch makes sense. At least if you're playing for eyecandy and sandbox purposes and you're not playing against the game itself.
From what I've seen in the code, magic bulldozer prevents you from getting bad reputation by destroying things (uploaded proof in attachment :D), this patch doesn't. But it lets you build stations whenever you want, whatever reputation you have, which is something magic bulldozer doesn't do. + magic bulldozer usage saves in gamesave forever.
Attachments
2016-06-13 (2).png
(131.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Bulldozing isn't the only reason you would get a bad reputation, though. Buying too much city land and not using it, building railroad tracks too close to too much city land, building stations that are underutilized, poor delivery schedules, using vehicles that are too old are all sources of bad reputation.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

kamnet wrote:Bulldozing isn't the only reason you would get a bad reputation, though. Buying too much city land and not using it, building railroad tracks too close to too much city land, building stations that are underutilized, poor delivery schedules, using vehicles that are too old are all sources of bad reputation.
That's bulls***.
Only rating decreases not affected by magic bulldozer are from failed bribes and inactive stations (for at least 50 days).
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Magic bulldozer + tree planting = Good enough for me
milek7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by milek7 »

I don't know if you have seen this, but there is my patch which I wrote in January: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6416 (savegame numbers propably needs updating to 1.6)
Unlike this, it stores ignore setting in save file and can be enabled on server.
p0358
Engineer
Engineer

Post by p0358 »

milek7 wrote:I don't know if you have seen this, but there is my patch which I wrote in January: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6416 (savegame numbers propably needs updating to 1.6)
Unlike this, it stores ignore setting in save file and can be enabled on server.
Well, haven't seen that, but when I wrote my patch, I wanted it to not store any info in savegame to not make it harm savegame and let it be removed in future harmlessly.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”