Patchpack, new patches & updated patches

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Patagonicus
Engineer
Engineer

Patchpack, new patches & updated patches

Post by Patagonicus »

A while back I got tired of patch packs like Chill and Hard which were slow to update with recent OpenTTD core improvements. I recognised that this is due to the complexity of merging everything together.

So, in an attempt to make a patch pack were everything could easily be updated to the latest versions, I started working on larger Git repository where each patch would be stored within it's own branch. The construction of the patch pack itself would then "easily" be accomplished by merging all the branches together. This actually works a lot better than I initially expected.

Just finished moving everything from my local Git repository to GitHub, so in the case anyone might be interested in (yet another) patch pack, it can be found here; https://github.com/eudyptula/OpenTTD

I plan on updating the patch pack regularly, as I have since 2015. If there's anything anyone would like in it, then let me know and I'll consider updating it.

I can also easily provide diff files for pretty much anything if need be. Might also consider providing precompiled releases if there's an interest for those.

Current list of branches:

master: OpenTTD as we know it :)
develop Just a few helping tools like .gitignore, CMakeLists (doesn't compile in cmake, but includes the files for my IDE to show syntax highlighting), and a configure script for cross-compiling. Theses are included in all branches below.

Feature branches (my own patches):
autoreplace_same: Removes a restriction to allow setting a vehicle to be autoreplaced with the same model. Useful for autoreplace when old, when you want to do it only for certain groups and vehicles.
improved_keys: No need to press 'change' when doing timetables - just press the number.
improved_station_lists: New sorting option 'Highest available waiting cargo', works a bit like 'highest cargo rating' but for available waiting cargo (per cargo type per next station).
improved_vehicle_lists: New sorting options and the values showed in the list now depends on the chosen sorting option.
last_travel_times: Shows the latest travel times in the timetable window - good for estimating times.
rebalancing: A (failed) attempt to rebalance OpenTTD, mostly in regards to time, speeds and distances. Not included in the latest patch packs.
reverse_orders: Easy method for doing routes like A-B-C-B-A, with settings for how to handle end stations. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=44766

Patch branches (patches by others, which I might have updated a little):
automated-timetables-and-separation-v0.8_trunk_svn_r26160: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=46391
departureboardswallclock25-r27218: Old version.
departureboardswallclock25-r27452: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49956
forecast_display-r24093-v0.02a: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59297
is2.1.2_r27462_160124: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42254
polyline_track_tool_v10b_ottd_r27095: Old version.
polyline_track_tool_v11_ottd_r27726: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=57080
signaltunnel_r27112: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41260
specific_group_names_v2_r26728: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64762
station_coverage.r27210: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44835
Station_Names_From_Industries_r25754: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35613
train_speed_control-r26383: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=52085
vehicle-group-info-r26383: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33148
wait_in_depot-v2-r26706: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70969

Patch pack branches:
Compilations of the above branches, the set of patches applied in each can vary - recommend only using the latest.

Aiming at ensuring that the patch packs are save game compatible with earlier versions. Should also work with vanilla versions until OpenTTD bumps the save game version number. Against everything else I wouldn't know.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Patchpack, new patches & updated patches

Post by frosch »

Patagonicus wrote:So, in an attempt to make a patch pack were everything could easily be updated to the latest versions, I started working on larger Git repository where each patch would be stored within it's own branch. The construction of the patch pack itself would then "easily" be accomplished by merging all the branches together. This actually works a lot better than I initially expected.
Also checkout JGR's patchpack. JGR currently maintains over 50 patches in git branches on https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-patches/branches
I did not check how much overlap there is with your branches, but it may save you some work.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Patagonicus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patchpack, new patches & updated patches

Post by Patagonicus »

Oh, thanks. Seen JGR's patch pack here on the forums, but didn't realise it had a git repository as well. Seen a couple of patches in it which I would like to integrate in my own though.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”