Development of bus stations in OpenTTD

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Development of bus stations in OpenTTD

Post by STD »

Hello to all forum members. I have not found where to ask about a bus station, so I decided to create a new topic. :)

I have a question - is it possible in OpenTTD to create a one-way bus station like in real life? How hard can it be to make the game developers? I dream that the game could be build in addition to the standard stations on the roads, and even a one-way station. Why I decided to ask about it? If the city build a three-lane highway (using the roads), and want to build a bus station on these roads. And the current bus station is not very suitable.
11.png
11.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
02_big.jpg
02_big.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Thank you for your attention to my question.

Regards

STD.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Development of bus stations in OpenTTD

Post by Eddi »

STD wrote:How hard can it be?
somewhere between "very hard" and "impossible"

also, the correct place would be the "suggestions" forum, if you're not posting code yourself.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Eddi wrote:
STD wrote:How hard can it be?
somewhere between "very hard" and "impossible"

also, the correct place would be the "suggestions" forum, if you're not posting code yourself.
Actually, not impossible. Perhaps some new graphics could be of aid, it wouldn't be totally functional, but would give the illusion of oneway stops. Like with the single sided stations in the Dutch station set.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

It would completely replace all bus stops though, you cant have an option for which stop you place.

Also why are you building bus stops on the motorway???
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The only thing that could work at the moment is by making a GRF that replaces the busstop graphics with just a flat tile. Then you could use a new-objects set for the graphics of the station.
But, like Leanden said, the graphics replacement GRF would replace all busstops. So if you were planning on making and using this, only use it for your personal games.
Also the AI would make some strange things if it is allowed to make busstops...

An answer would be multiple roadtypes with busstops available/working like the railstations, but that is not being worked on if I am correct.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I think the answer in this forum is to develop one-way traffic first, then introduce a second bus-stop graphic, which gets selected based on the road. The latter comes with the problem that the one-way arrows may be elsewhere than the station tile, so you would have to search and update all bus stations on every modification of any road tile. (The latter can be improved probably).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Leanden wrote:It would completely replace all bus stops though, you cant have an option for which stop you place.

Also why are you building bus stops on the motorway???
I currently don't build the bus stop on the highway, but in cities there is a single two-lane road, on which it would be possible to build a stop for public transport, e.g. for buses and trolleybuses. In this regard, I asked the question in the first post :) .

Thank you all for the answers. I thought this project was possible as the railway stations, said The Growl. But in reality it is very difficult and almost impossible.

Is it possible to create a GRF that simulates a one-way stop visually? And how hard it is to make you developers different GRF?
Voice your opinion please on these issues.

If this project is not possible, the subject for discussion can be closed :) .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Making a GRF that replaces the graphics of the busstop with an empty tile and then provides the graphics via New-Objects is very easy.
However, some busstop-setups will not be visually possible anymore, like these:
Example38.png
Example38.png (39.61 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
As there are no empty tiles next to the stops for the Objects to be placed.
And these kinds of setups are very handy for stops that have a lot of bustraffic.

So it depends on your game-play. If you dont use these kinds of setups for heavy bustraffic and/or have enough room in your cities to leave space for the objecttiles (because the multiple stops dont have to touch each other, to be part of the same busstop), then it can be done via a GRF.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

When (if?) road stations will be GRFed then it will (should?) be possible to code NewGRFs in a way that graphics are based on underlying roads so "sideness" of a bus is automatic. GRFed road stations are not that dependent of (upcoming?) GRFed road types. Perhaps development of GRFed stations could be started earlier.

The fact that I can't place a bus station on a road crossing doesn't bother me. It's a natural obstacle that actually brings fun and it's realistic.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

You make a good point actually, there is no reason that i can think of as to why road stations couldnt be coded without roadtypes.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

... that doesn't make them any less difficult to implement.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Train stations can look different (obviously). Is there a possibility to code that same feature over to bus and truck stops, and therefore allow a variety of bus designs?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Chrill wrote:Train stations can look different (obviously). Is there a possibility to code that same feature over to bus and truck stops, and therefore allow a variety of bus designs?
It is necessary to ask developers of the game or GRF''s about source code. I think they have something to say about it.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”