[Patch][WIP] YAAM - Yet Another Acceleration Model

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [WIP] YAAM - Yet Another Acceleration Model

Post by Diesel Power »

supermop wrote:An observation: diesels produce a ton of smoke while braking - hopefully they are not trying to use thrust reversers!
I think they kinda do! Correct me if im wrong (my knowledge of trains isn't that extensive), doesn't the dynamic brakes on a diesel loco use the engine power to slow the train? If this is the case, the smoke is accurate.

Great patch idea. This has also bugged me for ages.
Quick question: does the patch recognise the "slope steepness for trains" and "freight cargo multiplier" settings and adjust the breaking distance accordingly?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch][WIP] YAAM - Yet Another Acceleration Model

Post by jfs »

Dynamic braking works by letting the wheels run the motor. In diesel-electric locomotives this means the electric motor will function as a generator, and generally those locomotives will have resistive heating elements installed to consume the generated power. These heating elements require cooling, and too much dynamic braking can in fact overload them. This does not run the diesel motors so there is no combustion smoke, though there could be some condensation on the radiators that would release as steam when they first heat up.

In contrast, diesel-hydraulic or diesel-mechanical locomotives can't have dynamic braking since they don't have an electric motor that can be run as generator. Instead they could use a compression release brake similar to some semi-trucks, but this does not involve running the motor in reverse either.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Are yellow signals included in this patch?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”