[patch] Terminus Airports v1.49 (OpenTTD 1.10.3)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [patch] Terminus Airports v1.10 (r27410)

Post by Eddi »

uhm, as only the state machine (currently) really needs hardcoding, the whole building-and rotating stuff could be done purely in NewGRF.
Diamond42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Diamond42 »

Hey Vetteman06,

I've been playing this patch non stop for the last few weeks, and have two bugs for you. Both concern airports becoming clogged so no aircraft can move.

The first is in the city airport, that one you can fix by deleting the aircraft that's in the hangar, the rest will then move.

The second is in the small airport, and that happens with one aircraft in hanger and one on bay and one just landed. It stops everyone moving and you can't stop the one in the hangar and even if you give the two that aren't in the hangar go to hangar orders they won't budge. You then can't delete the aircraft or airport :-(

Again, amazing work! This is really a great patch, keep at it and keep designing new airports, these are awesome!

Ps. I'm a pilot and overseas at the moment but when I get home I can send you my save game?
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

Diamond42 wrote:Ps. I'm a pilot and overseas at the moment but when I get home I can send you my save game?
Please do.
Savegames really help me find the issue faster as I can look at the aircraft orders and placement and figure out what happened.

If you have any airports you would like modeled, let me know, I'll see if I can get them added.
2 Airports are on my list... Gibraltar (Highway goes across the runway) and Macau (Runway is an island.)
I Also want to change the Leipzig airport to use bridges instead of tunnels. (Maybe more than I can do... Will see)

Right now I am working on adding all the airport rotations in.
Most airports will have 8 rotations... N,E,S,W with buildings and N,E,S,W without buildings.
Won't need to have to separate compiles.

The issue is all those previews...
20 airports, 8 rotations = 160 preview sprites...
I am working on an alternative for that so they are not needed.
HackaLittleBit
Director
Director

Post by HackaLittleBit »

Vetteman06 maybe this little program can help you.
fs5833
see attachment in last post. 'airport_movement.7z (39 KiB) '
It is a svg file that shows you all the points in the state machine.
Included is a perl file to extract the data.
It is almost 2 years old so you may have to make some adjustments.
:)
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Hi all,

Am I maybe the only one doing something wrong? My airports don't show up. Put the Newgrf in the folder, where it belongs, added the newgrf in the game, applied... And they don't show. I must mention that I did not know what to do with the patch. Is the patch really necessary to even get it to work?

I read the page on openttd wiki, on patches, but this doesn't help me one bit with what to exactly do with the patch. Can someone help out maybe?

Thanks a bunch, can't wait to get it. These look really awesome and effective :D

MrRB
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

MrRB wrote:Hi all,

Am I maybe the only one doing something wrong? My airports don't show up. Put the Newgrf in the folder, where it belongs, added the newgrf in the game, applied... And they don't show. I must mention that I did not know what to do with the patch. Is the patch really necessary to even get it to work?

I read the page on openttd wiki, on patches, but this doesn't help me one bit with what to exactly do with the patch. Can someone help out maybe?

Thanks a bunch, can't wait to get it. These look really awesome and effective :D

MrRB
All the provided NewGRF does is provide a different style of artwork. The patch is the essential part of changing OpenTTD. If you're not knowledgeable enough to set up and compile the patch yourself, you should instead download the pre-compiled version posted earlier. If one doesn't yet exist for your operating system, post your info here and somebody else may be willing to create one (no promises).
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

kamnet wrote:
MrRB wrote:Hi all,

MrRB
All the provided NewGRF does is provide a different style of artwork. The patch is the essential part of changing OpenTTD. If you're not knowledgeable enough to set up and compile the patch yourself, you should instead download the pre-compiled version posted earlier. If one doesn't yet exist for your operating system, post your info here and somebody else may be willing to create one (no promises).

Hi Kamnet,

Thanks for your reaction. Where is this precompiled version? I can't seem to find it in this topic. The only download is the one I got from this topic in vetteman's first post. There are a (less recent then mine) version of openttd, the newgrf and the patch... Maybe it's just me and a lack of technical knowledge on my part, but what am I missing here?

Thanks so much for all your help :)
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

kamnet wrote:Thanks for your reaction. Where is this precompiled version?
It is in the zip file...

Basically 3 steps...
1) Need to copy the Openttd.exe over to your install directory... (Backup the original first.) It is in the Terminus Airports_v1.10 directory in the zip file
2) Need to copy the language files to your install... again backup originals first... It is in the Terminus Airports_v1.10\lang directory.
3) Need to copy the NewGRF over and after you start the game, add it into your NewGRF list.

The last step is optional right now... But maybe come required later if I remove all the color from the airport buildings.

Rotations are coming...

Teaser of Airport placement...
This is NOT a station yet but would be if you click...
Teaser.png
Teaser.png (283.78 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Thanks for your explanation Vetteman06!

Nice.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Vetteman06 wrote:If you have any airports you would like modeled, let me know, I'll see if I can get them added.
Indianapolis International Airport
Attachments
IND.png
IND.png (567.64 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Vetteman06 wrote:
kamnet wrote:Thanks for your reaction. Where is this precompiled version?
It is in the zip file...

Basically 3 steps...
1) Need to copy the Openttd.exe over to your install directory... (Backup the original first.) It is in the Terminus Airports_v1.10 directory in the zip file
2) Need to copy the language files to your install... again backup originals first... It is in the Terminus Airports_v1.10\lang directory.
3) Need to copy the NewGRF over and after you start the game, add it into your NewGRF list.

The last step is optional right now... But maybe come required later if I remove all the color from the airport buildings.

Rotations are coming...

Teaser of Airport placement...
This is NOT a station yet but would be if you click...
The attachment Teaser.png is no longer available

Hi Vetteman06,

Thanks for your advice, it worked!

However 2 questions that I'm left with:

1. I seem to have 2 different colors asphalt and different buildings than on the pictures (Check added pic). How can this be fixed?

2. Should there be a rotate option or is this in its entirety not possible?

Thanks very much for your time and effort!
Attachments
Airport different asphalt.jpg
(745.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

MrRB wrote:1. I seem to have 2 different colors asphalt and different buildings than on the pictures (Check added pic). How can this be fixed?
That depends upon which base graphics set you are using.
I use the Zbase graphics set. It is 32bpp and much nicer graphics.
When you first start the game, click "Game Options". About half way down is where you select the base graphics set.
Not sure Zbase shows up there, might have to look it up and download it manually.

The interesting thing in your picture is that one depot is offset incorrectly.
That should not have happened.
I didn't change any graphic placements for depots/hangars.

MrRB wrote:2. Should there be a rotate option or is this in its entirety not possible?
Rotate option is not there yet.
I have finished all the airports I intend to rotate. Doing testing/QA right now. It will be released very soon.
3 airports will not rotate right now, Country, City, and Metropolitan
Terminus2 will only rotate NORTH and EAST.
Terminus4 will not rotate, but layout 2 will be no buildings.

The No building option will be more rotations.
For Instance...
Layout 1-4 with buildings N,E,S,W
Layout 5-8 will have no buildings N,E,S,W
That way only one compile needed and people can play the way they want.
Also makes it friendly for multi-player.
Last edited by Vetteman06 on 08 Dec 2015 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

kamnet wrote:Indianapolis International Airport
So I am analyzing the possibility for this airport...

The way you have it laid out, there will be a lot of taxing...
Layout #2 below would use all 4 runways for landing an R2 and R4 would be takoff.
From Runway 1 to Terminal13 is 15 tiles of taxi.
From Terminal 13 to takoff is 12 tiles.
etc...

Taxing is way more costly in performance that runways or flying...
So I usually spend a great deal of time trying to cut down the taxi levels.

The top layout...
All 3 runways would be land and takeoff.
R1 Would service Terminal 1 through Terminal 8 and Cargo 5 through Cargo 8... Furthest Passenger taxi is 7 tiles to Terminal1.
R2 Would service Terminal 17 through Terminal 24 and Cargo 1 through Cargo 4... Furthest Passenger taxi is 7 tiles to Terminal 24.
R3 Would service Terminal 9 through Terminal 16 and all Cargo spots... Furthest Passenger taxi is 11 tiles to Terminal 12.

The number of tiles used by either airport is roughly the same.
Anyway, Let me know your thoughts...
Indianapolis.png
Indianapolis.png (47.65 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I was looking more to trying to make them look like real-world equivilents, but building it for more efficiency isn't bad either. i like having the two runways next to each other.
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

kamnet wrote:I was looking more to trying to make them look like real-world equivilents
:shock: Wow, I wasn't expecting that...

I took a Google Maps screen shot of the real airport...
Rotated it in Gimp...
Boxed it in Paint...
Yellow are the terminals.
Red are the Runways.

Which layout is closer to the real thing?
Indianapolis2.png
(1.75 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

See I thought about trying to put all of that on there, but that REALLY makes things complicated, possibly too complicated for OpenTTD standards.

The main international runways (1, 2) are used by the main terminal (3). The auxiliary runway (4) is left over from the original airport that was built on the property, which is now razed and occupied by several FBOs (6), and is also used by FedEx WorldHub (7) and a few other cargo transporters (5).
indy3.png
indy3.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1726 times
I feel that you already have airports that resemble using 4/6, and if you also have your T-shaped 6-runway airport that effectively resembles Indianapolis in that functionality. So I focused on just runways 1 & 2 with main terminal 3 for passenger service. I like the main terminal being on just one side of the airport and having the two runways wrap around the sides.

But, if it's possible within OpenTTD to have large passenger jets use 1/2 and only go to 3, and have all cargo and small planes use 4, with small passenger only going to 6, and cargo only going to 5 and 7... that would be really wicked. :) But, like you mentioned, trying to mimic the original airport involves a lot of taxi time and perhaps making airports more efficient is better. And if that's the case, I like the bottom airport you laid out in your previous post.
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

kamnet wrote:But, if it's possible within OpenTTD to have large passenger jets use 1/2 and only go to 3, and have all cargo and small planes use 4, with small passenger only going to 6, and cargo only going to 5 and 7... that would be really wicked. But, like you mentioned, trying to mimic the original airport involves a lot of taxi time and perhaps making airports more efficient is better. And if that's the case, I like the bottom airport you laid out in your previous post.
Ok I will go ahead and work on the bottom layout after the next release... I am too far into testing/QA for the next release to put it in there.

So here are my thoughts on Runway lengths...
I never understood why the runways got longer but there wasn't any restrictions on the planes...
Commuter - 5, City - 6, International - 7, and Intercontinental - 8
I eventually would like to implement 3 different lengths...
Short - 4 tiles for small planes.
Normal - 6 tiles for average planes. Mid sized planes...
Long - 8 tiles for big planes... Say more than 400 Passengers (747, 380, etc...)

So there are 2 problem airports...
Commuter has a runway of 5... I would probably upgrade it to a runway of 6 and make a modern replacement for the Country airport with a 4 Short runway.
I already built a CommuterL with a runway of 8 to extend that line of airports...
End result - CommuterS, Commuter, CommuterL.

The other is International with a length of 7.
Given that both City and Metropolitan are very inefficient, I would probably shorten the International to a 6 runway.
Leave it exactly the way it is just make the runway's shorter.
For Normal runways you would have...
City, Metropolitan , International.

Then for Long runways...
Intercontinental, Leipzig, SanFran, Indy, etc would be in this category.

Terminus airports are extremely optimized for efficiency...
So they are in a different class.

On Terminals:
I have already separated out the cargo.
I hadn't thought of making small passenger terminals... But it is entirely possible to do so...
There are 36 terminals so making 6 of those dual purpose would be very easy to do.
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Vetteman06 wrote:The interesting thing in your picture is that one depot is offset incorrectly.
That should not have happened.
I didn't change any graphic placements for depots/hangars.
Yes, indeed I didn't even notice that. That's weird.

Thanks so much for your tips, I´ll check out Z-base, but I´ll miss the "old school" version I guess... however weird that may sound.

Nice, great work doing the rototations! Keep it up :wink:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Again great work you are doing!! :bow:

Thanks for clearing up the issue with the base graphics, I also wondered why the airports didnt have the graphics like your screenshot.
And you noticed yourself already that the depots are offset incorrectly, but I also noticed some strange behaviour with the no-buildings airports:
AirportIssue01.png
AirportIssue01.png (74.96 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
The planes land on the grass next to the runway and they (un)load next to the terminal tile. This also looks like an offset problem.
Havent checked that with other airports, might happen with others too.

I used the precompiled version you provided in the first post, didnt apply the patch myself.

I hope this can be fixed, because I am really interested in this development and I hope it makes it into trunk!!

Keep up the great work!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Vetteman06
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vetteman06 »

Quast65 wrote:The planes land on the grass next to the runway and they (un)load next to the terminal tile. This also looks like an offset problem.
Havent checked that with other airports, might happen with others too.
I hope this can be fixed, because I am really interested in this development and I hope it makes it into trunk!!
Already fixed in next rev...
It was a one line code fix...
Basically it was mis-calculating the Orthogonal value for the airport.
I just moved one line of code so it would calc correctly.

I seriously doubt it will ever make it into trunk.
Dev's want the airports to be moved to NewGRF.
After 2+ years of waiting for someone to make the airports into NewGRF, I gave up and just decided to do it in code.
Parts might make it... like the airplanes pushing back from terminals...
But otherwise, it will always be a patch.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”