Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheNewGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by TheNewGuy »

Hey.

As mentioned in my post from 2018 (viewtopic.php?p=1205780#p1205780) I (and we) really enjoy(ed) OTTD.
However, I really would like to have a way more in depth economic mechanics and other challenges in OTTD.
The base mechanic in OTTD is: Have a train waiting at a station at all times and you're fine.
For me it was fun while figuring out the game but I really would love to have a bit more economical depth to it.

And as I am actually too busy to do it (I started it, but couldn't stick to it). Therefore I wanted to ask if anyone here is
interested in realizing and implementing that. Don't laugh at me, I know that the chance for something like that is minuscule,
but I thought I give it a try. So if someone is here who would like to program something but lacks ideas and would be happy to realize
and work on a project like that. Let me know. I'd be happy to share the ideas.
(Originally I was hoping for Art of the Rail but that might still take a long time if it will be ever finalized)
kamnet

Re: Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by kamnet »

Based on what you reported then, a GameScript should be able to do everything you want. We already have:

Neighbors Are Important: a script where a town won't grow unless its neighboring towns are also getting good service for cargoes, which thus emphasizes servicing closer routes rather than long distance routes.

Bee Reward/Busy Bee: A script that replaces subsidies (which are disabled under some circumstances) and usually encourages you to transport certain cargoes between close destinations.

GSCashDrain: You get paid a flat rate for delivering cargo, no matter how long or short the distance.

You just need somebody to combine them into one thing.
TheNewGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by TheNewGuy »

Hey kamnet.

Thanks for the reply...
So...where do I start.

I know theses scripts (except the Bee Reward/Busy Bee) and we've played all of them (more or less).

What I miss in OTTD is a 'challenge' or deep(er) economic mechanics (with mb random events).
I really dislike the mechanic: A train waiting at a station is the most important and relevant aspect. Everything else...is kinda optional.
Don't get me wrong. It is not that I say that it is bad. I just would really enjoy a different mechanic, based (e.g.) on supply and demand.
Also maybe sometimes some random events: E.g. 'Lumberjacks are on strike and therefore the output of wood is severely limited.'. So, if your
network and income solely relies on wood-transport, you might have a problem for a while. But especially more rewarding intermediate goals
that you can try to achieve. To increase production at 'Factory A' you need to do 'this and that'. I know that OTTD has that ofc as well, but for me,
it feels to 'limited' and random.

A 'more alive' environment. I guess, it basically is the wish for a different game, thus the idea of programming.
I was asking here because, first of all I and we love OTTD and, in addition, it already provides loads of stuff (~90%?) that should/could be the basis for the other game.

For me OTTD feels like a sandbox-transportation game, and I think that I, by now, would rather play a transportation based economy simulation, if that makes any sense.
But it is 100% ok if no one is interested in (doing) that, because I thought I just give it a try and know how tough it is to have spare time etc..

Return to “OpenTTD Development”