Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheNewGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by TheNewGuy »

Hey.

As mentioned in my post from 2018 (viewtopic.php?p=1205780#p1205780) I (and we) really enjoy(ed) OTTD.
However, I really would like to have a way more in depth economic mechanics and other challenges in OTTD.
The base mechanic in OTTD is: Have a train waiting at a station at all times and you're fine.
For me it was fun while figuring out the game but I really would love to have a bit more economical depth to it.

And as I am actually too busy to do it (I started it, but couldn't stick to it). Therefore I wanted to ask if anyone here is
interested in realizing and implementing that. Don't laugh at me, I know that the chance for something like that is minuscule,
but I thought I give it a try. So if someone is here who would like to program something but lacks ideas and would be happy to realize
and work on a project like that. Let me know. I'd be happy to share the ideas.
(Originally I was hoping for Art of the Rail but that might still take a long time if it will be ever finalized)
kamnet

Re: Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by kamnet »

Based on what you reported then, a GameScript should be able to do everything you want. We already have:

Neighbors Are Important: a script where a town won't grow unless its neighboring towns are also getting good service for cargoes, which thus emphasizes servicing closer routes rather than long distance routes.

Bee Reward/Busy Bee: A script that replaces subsidies (which are disabled under some circumstances) and usually encourages you to transport certain cargoes between close destinations.

GSCashDrain: You get paid a flat rate for delivering cargo, no matter how long or short the distance.

You just need somebody to combine them into one thing.
TheNewGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Anyone interested in developing/implementing a different economic model in OTTD?

Post by TheNewGuy »

Hey kamnet.

Thanks for the reply...
So...where do I start.

I know theses scripts (except the Bee Reward/Busy Bee) and we've played all of them (more or less).

What I miss in OTTD is a 'challenge' or deep(er) economic mechanics (with mb random events).
I really dislike the mechanic: A train waiting at a station is the most important and relevant aspect. Everything else...is kinda optional.
Don't get me wrong. It is not that I say that it is bad. I just would really enjoy a different mechanic, based (e.g.) on supply and demand.
Also maybe sometimes some random events: E.g. 'Lumberjacks are on strike and therefore the output of wood is severely limited.'. So, if your
network and income solely relies on wood-transport, you might have a problem for a while. But especially more rewarding intermediate goals
that you can try to achieve. To increase production at 'Factory A' you need to do 'this and that'. I know that OTTD has that ofc as well, but for me,
it feels to 'limited' and random.

A 'more alive' environment. I guess, it basically is the wish for a different game, thus the idea of programming.
I was asking here because, first of all I and we love OTTD and, in addition, it already provides loads of stuff (~90%?) that should/could be the basis for the other game.

For me OTTD feels like a sandbox-transportation game, and I think that I, by now, would rather play a transportation based economy simulation, if that makes any sense.
But it is 100% ok if no one is interested in (doing) that, because I thought I just give it a try and know how tough it is to have spare time etc..
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

TheNewGuy wrote: 18 Apr 2024 15:31For me OTTD feels like a sandbox-transportation game, and I think that I, by now, would rather play a transportation based economy simulation, if that makes any sense.
But it is 100% ok if no one is interested in (doing) that, because I thought I just give it a try and know how tough it is to have spare time etc..
the "problem" is that all these "tycoon"-style games almost always devolve into sandbox-style because the more you build you "win more", so that after some initial scarcity phase, you practically have infinite money. "fixing" that requires a whole new layer of simulation that can't possibly be modeled correctly and realistically, that would also incentivise continuing to expand and is fun to play.

in any case, this is more of a gamedesign challenge and involves very little actual programming.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”