JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Argus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Oct 2018 08:31

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Some Joker patchpack games experience a sudden drop in earnings. Some inconsistency in the length of the day maybe ....
Attachments
VAustraliancontinentxxl01joker.sav
(4.32 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Argus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Oct 2018 08:31

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Isn't there a plan to adjust desert generation? I'm really tired of playing games with the bare minimum of rainforests and unrealistically large deserts....
User avatar
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5807
Joined: 27 Nov 2004 15:05
Location: Canada

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by wallyweb »

Argus wrote: 08 Jan 2021 15:13 Isn't there a plan to adjust desert generation? I'm really tired of playing games with the bare minimum of rainforests and unrealistically large deserts....
/me echo! 8)
User avatar
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5316
Joined: 31 Mar 2007 14:23
Location: Lost in Music

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by andythenorth »

See upstream https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/8513

This is an improvement, not a revolution.

Tropic maps have issue with TerraGenesis (too flat, too much desert) which would require bigger changes.

But there will be more rainforest with this incremental change.
Argus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Oct 2018 08:31

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Hooray, it's finally moving :D The Joker patchpack included a patch that allowed you to set the maximum height for the desert area. That's the only thing I miss from him. However, the desert often resides on elevation maps, and I say that it also climbs above altitude 4 :( The maximum altitude is 120 and the rainforest of the desert is very small, while there are mountains that normal map generation will not do in a dream.
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 07 Jan 2021 11:53 Some Joker patchpack games experience a sudden drop in earnings. Some inconsistency in the length of the day maybe ....
It's a bit difficult to say without the original to compare it with.

Taking a quick look though, the most obvious issue is that your passenger vehicles (ships in particular) seem to be primarily transporting fresh air around.
You've got passenger generation set to -2.0. I'd suggest turning it up a bit.

Your game has a day length of 1, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
Argus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Oct 2018 08:31

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Thanks :) I haven't played with these settings yet :) I don't understand how it got there, I didn't move with it.
Lw25
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 13:41

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Lw25 »

JGR wrote: 08 Jan 2021 18:19
Argus wrote: 07 Jan 2021 11:53 Some Joker patchpack games experience a sudden drop in earnings. Some inconsistency in the length of the day maybe ....
It's a bit difficult to say without the original to compare it with.

Taking a quick look though, the most obvious issue is that your passenger vehicles (ships in particular) seem to be primarily transporting fresh air around.
You've got passenger generation set to -2.0. I'd suggest turning it up a bit.

Your game has a day length of 1, so that shouldn't be an issue.
I have the same issue, even though my trains are not empty. I didn't reported it earlier because I was experimenting on that save, updating grfs, changing date back and adding money. Although it wasn't in red for ~150 ingame years. Now my trains generate two times more of debt than profit even when I changed everything to lowest possible upkeep. Inflation and crisis are turned off.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDO1Sp ... sp=sharing
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 08 Jan 2021 18:42 Thanks :) I haven't played with these settings yet :) I don't understand how it got there, I didn't move with it.
Lw25 wrote: 09 Jan 2021 08:14 I have the same issue, even though my trains are not empty. I didn't reported it earlier because I was experimenting on that save, updating grfs, changing date back and adding money. Although it wasn't in red for ~150 ingame years. Now my trains generate two times more of debt than profit even when I changed everything to lowest possible upkeep. Inflation and crisis are turned off.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDO1Sp ... sp=sharing
It seems that KeldorKatarn changed the cargo payment curves in his patchpack.
I can only assume that he made an error, as some of the journeys in the river valley savegame from Argus as paying nearly 280x in JokerPP as they do in trunk and my branch.
That is clearly not right as some other very similar journeys are paying quite ordinary quantities and not silly money.

Lw25: Your Google drive link seems to be private.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
Lw25
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 13:41

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Lw25 »

Sorry, repaired that. Is there anything we can do about it?
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Lw25 wrote: 09 Jan 2021 10:54 Sorry, repaired that. Is there anything we can do about it?
Probably you will need to do some in game rebalancing to return to profitability.

Looking at your savegame, your passenger cargodist link graph is currently a sea of red.
If your network is that excessively overloaded passengers will be dropped and you will lose money.

I'd suggest:
* Reduce passenger generation (decrease the value of the town cargo generation factor).
* Turn on "Station cargo capacity and rating tolerance depend on station size".
* Consider switching from quadratic to linear passenger generation
* Consider changing passengers from asymmetric to symmetric.
* Consider increasing the effect of distance on demands setting a bit.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
Argus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Oct 2018 08:31

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Probably an error will occur because I sometimes earned an absurd amount while playing in the Joker patchpack.
23m5
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 09:16

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by 23m5 »

STD wrote: 20 May 2016 06:06 Hi, JGR. Thank you for patchpack. I really like to play it. You please add the patch calculate the rating at the stations as in spring patchpack. Personally, I like this patch. Convenient :) .
Calculation or rating on the station (spring patch pack).png
Calculation of rating on the station always to 100% would be a good thing for some games.

I would like to join this request. Is it possible to integrate this patch?

Thank you very much.
Lw25
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 13:41

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Lw25 »

JGR wrote: 09 Jan 2021 11:33
Lw25 wrote: 09 Jan 2021 10:54 Sorry, repaired that. Is there anything we can do about it?
Probably you will need to do some in game rebalancing to return to profitability.

Looking at your savegame, your passenger cargodist link graph is currently a sea of red.
If your network is that excessively overloaded passengers will be dropped and you will lose money.

I'd suggest:
* Reduce passenger generation (decrease the value of the town cargo generation factor).
* Turn on "Station cargo capacity and rating tolerance depend on station size".
* Consider switching from quadratic to linear passenger generation
* Consider changing passengers from asymmetric to symmetric.
* Consider increasing the effect of distance on demands setting a bit.
Thank you very much for help. Distance should be lower of higher than 100%?
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Lw25 wrote: 09 Jan 2021 17:49 Thank you very much for help. Distance should be lower of higher than 100%?
If you have too much cargo, going higher can help reduce the distance that cargo has to travel and so reduce the load on the network.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6737
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Redirect Left »

I suggested an idea here for openTTD overall. But it'd also be a neat thing to see in this patchpack, given this is actually what I use myself most of the time;
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=88339
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 11 Jan 2021 11:40 I suggested an idea here for openTTD overall. But it'd also be a neat thing to see in this patchpack, given this is actually what I use myself most of the time;
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=88339
An equivalent feature which does this is already implemented. Turn on the "Show go to depot/hangar and sell feature" setting.

You can then send a group to a depot for immediate sale, do so for individual vehicles via the go to depot button, or do so via vehicle orders.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6737
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 12 Jan 2021 19:35
Redirect Left wrote: 11 Jan 2021 11:40 I suggested an idea here for openTTD overall. But it'd also be a neat thing to see in this patchpack, given this is actually what I use myself most of the time;
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=88339
An equivalent feature which does this is already implemented. Turn on the "Show go to depot/hangar and sell feature" setting.

You can then send a group to a depot for immediate sale, do so for individual vehicles via the go to depot button, or do so via vehicle orders.
Ah, sweet. I'd have never found that hidden in the settings!
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!
McZapkie
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1242
Joined: 18 Jan 2014 18:10

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by McZapkie »

I got some desync error in 39.2, is it known issue?
User avatar
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2205
Joined: 08 Aug 2005 13:46
Location: Ipswich

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

McZapkie wrote: 15 Jan 2021 10:27 I got some desync error in 39.2, is it known issue?
If you can post the logs/saves/etc, I'll take a look.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Dad-Coder since April 2018

Avatar by MoonsongWolf
Post Reply

Return to “OpenTTD Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: leeus and 3 guests