JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by kamnet »

First you complain about NewGRFs because of licenses and copyrights, then you complain about modifying other people's works, then you complain about not writing your own code and drawing your own sprites because you get permission to use other people's stuff.

*sighs*

Seriously. I don't think even you understand what you want. Not that it matters, you're not coding it anyhow, by your own words.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I guess you should read my post again. I'm not forcing you to respond to it in 2 minutes, just take time to read what i said.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:I guess you should read my post again. I'm not forcing you to respond to it in 2 minutes, just take time to read what i said.
Let me see if I have this correctly...

1) A person blocked another person's NewGRF (everyone should know who those to people are by now), so you refuse to code or draw because your stuff might get blocked by someone else.

2) You have been as calm and reasonable as you can but the laguage barrier has gotten in the way and irritated some people.

3) You claim it would be faster to recode OpenTTD than the NewGRFs, while others claim recoding the GRFs is faster. I personally think making a Static NewGRF out of OpenGFX+ is the best solution.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

acs121 wrote:I'm no moderator, but please, refrain from using capital letters. We don't want it going too far.
What's 'too far' here?

Your absolute drivel went too far a long time ago acs121.

You regularly make absolutely no sense.

You spread nonsense and misinformation.

You get into pointless arguments about absolute crap.

You are one of the key reasons I took a break from tt-forums.

People like you poison threads with drivel.

Mods don't and won't act.

So the only option for some of us is to vote with our feet and quit tt-forums.

It destroys a productive community.

Why don't you just stop?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:I guess you should read my post again. I'm not forcing you to respond to it in 2 minutes, just take time to read what i said.
Let me see if I have this correctly...

1) A person blocked another person's NewGRF (everyone should know who those to people are by now), so you refuse to code or draw because your stuff might get blocked by someone else.
Exactly what i said. I already had copyright issues with someone, and learnt from my errors. I thought about creating a NewGRF, but honestly what happened with you and the other guy just threw out the window any tiny sliver chance of me creating NewGRFs and sharing them, and same for patches. And i'm no victim either. I may change my mind one day, but not today.
SimYouLater wrote:2) You have been as calm and reasonable as you can but the laguage barrier has gotten in the way and irritated some people.
I don't know if we could say all those words but somewhat yes.
SimYouLater wrote:3) You claim it would be faster to recode OpenTTD than the NewGRFs, while others claim recoding the GRFs is faster. I personally think making a Static NewGRF out of OpenGFX+ is the best solution.
There are multiple solutions to the problem. It isn't a question of the way you do it (Patch or NewGRF), it's the real way you do it (Code). Now that you're saying it, i haven't thought about this before, but i guess the static NewGRF is the best way to do it.
MichalSoldat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MichalSoldat »

Gliptal wrote:@OzTrans, regarding Temperate with snow; you can "simulate" it in the Arctic climate by combining some NewGRFs:

- OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 to get "Alpine" climate
- Smooth snow transition for much nicer snow with the green Temperate grass
- OpenGFX+ Industries 0.3.5 to force Temperate industries in Arctic climate

It looks like this (note I have a bunch of other NewGRFs also active):

Variable snow line is fully functional, and provided you use snow-aware NewGRFs and tweak their settings a bit, it only has minor quirks with some objects. If you're interested I can also post my NewGRFs and OpenTTD settings.

Could You please post your OpenTTD setting? Because i've this 3 grfs active and it isn't snowing :( Even on new scenario and no other grf's active
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

MichalSoldat wrote:Could You please post your OpenTTD setting? Because i've this 3 grfs active and it isn't snowing :( Even on new scenario and no other grf's active
You probably have a too high snow line with too flat terrain, try roughing it up a bit in the generation settings and lowering the snowline both in the NewGRF and the general settings. The "Arctic tree range" setting is also quite important, I have mine at 3. In any case:

- OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 "Landscape type": alpine (temperate grass in arctic climate)
- OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 Snow line in mid January: 6
- OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 Snow line in mid July: 12
- Smooth Snow Transition Parameter 1: 0

OpenGFX+ Industries impacts only what industries spawn and supply chains are available, so it's entirely up to you.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

remember that you still have to start the game in the Arctic climate.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

acs121 wrote:i guess the static NewGRF is the best way to do it.
a static GRF won't really help you with GRFs that incorporate grass into other sprites, like tunnel entrances and sea-/river-shores
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Eddi wrote:
acs121 wrote:i guess the static NewGRF is the best way to do it.
a static GRF won't really help you with GRFs that incorporate grass into other sprites, like tunnel entrances and sea-/river-shores
Hmmm... yeah, forget what i said. Although... do you know if there is a way to have a GRF forcing others to behave like it was the temperate climate ?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, only by editing that GRF itself.
MichalSoldat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MichalSoldat »

Eddi wrote:remember that you still have to start the game in the Arctic climate.
Ouuuu.... I thought i can run it on temperate. So there is no way i can work this grf's for existing save on temperate?
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

MichalSoldat wrote:
Eddi wrote:remember that you still have to start the game in the Arctic climate.
Ouuuu.... I thought i can run it on temperate. So there is no way i can work this grf's for existing save on temperate?
No that I know of, at least not without tampering with savegames and risking undefined behaviour down the line.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Well, if a Static NewGRF is no good, then an OpenGFX Alpine baseset is the way to do it, right?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

We're talking about the issue, for example with UK Road Set or Total Town Replacement Set, to have roads or buildings within a temperate grass environment, but with arctic grass within the tile. It sure isn't game-breaking, but still an issue somewhat.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

a base set and a static NewGRF is effectively the same thing.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Not sure which patch the Slot function lives in but now that I have found a explanation for how it works and have played with it a bit I have a suggestion,

in train conditional orders we have Slot X has capacity or Slot X is full as conditional statements
please can we also have Train is in slot X / Not in Slot X

for example then I could have train orders like

1 Go to station A
2 Go to Waypoint B (signal before B has Try to aquire slot X )
3 Jump to order 7 when train not in slot X
4 Go to station C
6 Jump always to order 1
7 Go to Station D
loop
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kind of like an overflow mechanic? sounds useful
mrjack2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrjack2 »

Doesn't jump to order 7 when the slot is full have the same effect? (because if the slot is full, it won't be acquired)

Probably still a good idea, though.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there are a few issues with that alternative approach:
  1. you must check whether a slot is free before you try to reserve it, whereas you can check whether you actually acquired the slot at a later time
  2. the slot might get released between the check whether a slot is available and trying to actually acquire it, leading to inconsistent results

Return to “OpenTTD Development”