JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

Cannot download from Bananas. The file is still being requested.
Nrgte
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nrgte »

wallyweb wrote: 20 Apr 2021 22:45 Just a thought. It's been a year or two since I compiled. It seems to me that there was an option to compile a debug version which adds a lot of overhead to the binary. Might this be your problem? How big is your product compared to vanilla or jgrpp?
I've set the compile mode to release in the settings of the solution, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, the executable is the same size. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My .exe is 36718kb compared to 54696kb of the jgrpp.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Nrgte wrote: 25 Apr 2021 21:13
wallyweb wrote: 20 Apr 2021 22:45 Just a thought. It's been a year or two since I compiled. It seems to me that there was an option to compile a debug version which adds a lot of overhead to the binary. Might this be your problem? How big is your product compared to vanilla or jgrpp?
I've set the compile mode to release in the settings of the solution, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, the executable is the same size. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My .exe is 36718kb compared to 54696kb of the jgrpp.
My builds have some supplementary debugging information which yours will most likely not, so you should expect to get a smaller binary whether or not you are producing a debug build.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

BTW, is this setting 'inflation from 1920' working properly?
Didn't tested for 1.11.1, but I'm running JGR 0.41.0 server with this setting on and scenario starting from 1800,
and I see inflation effect immediately.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Aischri
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aischri »

Quick question, but is there a reason to limit the "Day Length Factor" setting to 125 and below. I was wondering if it would be able to have it scale up to be 1:1 with the "Show time in minutes rather than days" setting.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

McZapkie wrote: 25 Apr 2021 23:18 BTW, is this setting 'inflation from 1920' working properly?
Didn't tested for 1.11.1, but I'm running JGR 0.41.0 server with this setting on and scenario starting from 1800,
and I see inflation effect immediately.
It looks like changing the date in either the scenario editor or in game doesn't undo previously added inflation.
This should be simple enough to fix when starting a new game from a scenario.

For your existing server you can use the cheats window to reset the values. (Use settings_access if it's a dedicated server).
Aischri wrote: 25 Apr 2021 23:50 Quick question, but is there a reason to limit the "Day Length Factor" setting to 125 and below. I was wondering if it would be able to have it scale up to be 1:1 with the "Show time in minutes rather than days" setting.
Setting it to too high a value would require that some date-related fields are further widened. Additionally many game events are driven from non-scaled ticks (i.e. 1/74 of a day), and making these too far apart would likely have a negative impact on gameplay.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

JGR wrote: 25 Apr 2021 17:56
McZapkie wrote: 25 Apr 2021 17:51 Is there any reason why inflation modifiers are in cheat menu, instead of settings?
It is nice feature to balance economy of any scenario.
It's not a setting in the usual sense as the inflation values change as the game progresses according to the actual inflation settings.
How does inflation work currently in the game? The value should be somewhat sticky, but still random.
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

OK, I get it - there was no problem with inflation, it didn't started yet. Different (larger) maximal loan and prices then these expected are just because I changed inflation cost and income factor. I thought there are settings for changing cost/income gap when inflation starts, but these are just variables.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

How custom town zones works?
MasterOktagon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterOktagon »

Until Next Time

MasterOktagon
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

gravelpit wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:09 How custom town zones works?
It's a bit weird to explain, even though I wrote it :oops: , when using custom town zones, the multipliers change the weighting against the five different town zones that TTD towns/cities can have; Zone 0 is the outer most zone (a concentric ring around the town), these are the roads with no sidewalks. The next zones, 1 and 2 are the next two concentric rings working inwards. These have sidewalks (except in deserts). Next is Zone 3 (tree lined road) and the innermost zone is Zone 4 (streetlights). The outer most zones benefit the most from BIG multipliers, the inner most zones only need smallllll changes. 0 Disables a zone entirely.

The amount you have to change numbers to get different results can vary, and I suggest going into scenario editor and fiddling with the settings while you go and see what it does and whether you like the outcome.

For instance, my favorite settings are for towns:
Zone 0: 255
Zone 1: 3
Zone 2: 2
Zone 3: 1
Zone 4: 0

This produces big suburbs, and allows (in most newgrfs) flats and townhouses to appear in the centre, but for most newgrf's, no skyscrapers.

For Cities I like to use:

Zone 0: 0
Zone 1: 255
Zone 2: 3
Zone 3: 2
Zone 4: 1

This prevents 'rural' looking outskirts and makes sure Cities are always paved, it still keeps the centre most zone that skyscrapers appear in relatively small, which personally I like.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

Aegir wrote: 28 Apr 2021 11:43
It's a bit weird to explain, even though I wrote it :oops: , when using custom town zones, the multipliers change the weighting against the five different town zones that TTD towns/cities can have; Zone 0 is the outer most zone (a concentric ring around the town), these are the roads with no sidewalks. The next zones, 1 and 2 are the next two concentric rings working inwards. These have sidewalks (except in deserts). Next is Zone 3 (tree lined road) and the innermost zone is Zone 4 (streetlights). The outer most zones benefit the most from BIG multipliers, the inner most zones only need smallllll changes. 0 Disables a zone entirely.

The amount you have to change numbers to get different results can vary, and I suggest going into scenario editor and fiddling with the settings while you go and see what it does and whether you like the outcome.

This produces big suburbs, and allows (in most newgrfs) flats and townhouses to appear in the centre, but for most newgrf's, no skyscrapers.

This prevents 'rural' looking outskirts and makes sure Cities are always paved, it still keeps the centre most zone that skyscrapers appear in relatively small, which personally I like.
Cool, easy and fast :D :bow:
it would be cool if you could do each city separately
one question, these numbers are the multiplier and by what multiplier it multiplies if you figured it out
I understand that if we want to choose a zone, we give the max multiplier, and does the difference have to be big?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

gravelpit wrote: 28 Apr 2021 14:19

Cool, easy and fast :D :bow:
it would be cool if you could do each city separately
one question, these numbers are the multiplier and by what multiplier it multiplies if you figured it out
I understand that if we want to choose a zone, we give the max multiplier, and does the difference have to be big?
By default in-game without this feature there is a table that controls the multipliers to each zone based off how many houses are in the town, after 92houses total it uses a flat calculation for each zone. This patch just overrides that calculation (if turned on) and allows setting the numbers manually.

As for exactly what those numbers mean? That's probably ancient lore lost to the sands of time. I just put the numbers in your hands :P

I've found the only zone that benefits from big numbers is whatever you set to be the outer most zone; in my example that's either Zone 0 or Zone 1.

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

What is a difference between path signals and block signals?
Both are used to reserve 2 block forthcoming.

Maybe block signals should be able to reserve more blocks, than patch signals.
It will be useful for easy making of priority merge.
Also movement of fast trains sharing line with slow ones would be more smooth and safe,
if line is equipped with block signals, regardless of their density.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

McZapkie wrote: 30 Apr 2021 11:44 What is a difference between path signals and block signals?
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Signals

Also, if you want to use the realistic braking feature in JGRPP, you are required to use path signals. Block signals are not compatible with it.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

jfs wrote: 30 Apr 2021 12:02
McZapkie wrote: 30 Apr 2021 11:44 What is a difference between path signals and block signals?
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Signals

Also, if you want to use the realistic braking feature in JGRPP, you are required to use path signals. Block signals are not compatible with it.
Block signals are promoted to path signals in mostly the same way as trunk (e.g. in mixed type blocks).
Otherwise it would not be possible to convert an existing reasonably signalled savegame to use realistic braking.
Both are used to reserve 2 block forthcoming.

Maybe block signals should be able to reserve more blocks, than patch signals.
It will be useful for easy making of priority merge.
Also movement of fast trains sharing line with slow ones would be more smooth and safe,
if line is equipped with block signals, regardless of their density.
The only significant difference is the back of a block signal is not a safe waiting point, whereas the back of a one-way path signal is.

The number of blocks reserved is variable according to block size, train speed/properties, track speed/layout, etc.
The key factor is "sufficient braking distance" not "number of blocks".
There is a more complete description of the process here: https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... ic-braking
If you want to increase or decrease (with corresponding speed reduction) the reservation length on a per-signal basis you can do this with routing restrictions.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I see. I was using slow trains (yet, due to slow game pace with daylenght factor and start game of 1800 on my server :)
and only 2 blocks were reserved (current and next), thus I worried what will happen in case of dense blocks signals and fast trains. Thanks for explanation.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Is there any chance having Zone 0 for cities as 0 is stopping cities growing? Cannot for the life of me work out how to make a city grow, all the towns are fine

EDIT - Going back to defaults and reloading the save seems to suddenly make them all start growing so im guessing this was the issue
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Lordmwa wrote: 01 May 2021 20:08

Is there any chance having Zone 0 for cities as 0 is stopping cities growing? Cannot for the life of me work out how to make a city grow, all the towns are fine

EDIT - Going back to defaults and reloading the save seems to suddenly make them all start growing so im guessing this was the issue
Yeah this patch doesn't touch how cities actually grow. Might have had another setting affecting growth.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm an idiot. Disabling zone 0 does infact prevent a town from growing :oops:

Updated recommended settings: Towns: 255,3,2,1,0, Cities: 255,4,3,2,1

Return to “OpenTTD Development”