JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by SimYouLater »

JGR wrote: 11 Jul 2019 23:30...the merge is on github already in a separate branch if you want to try it out pre-release/pre-testing.
Visual Studio 2015 spits out a bunch of errors when I try to build the github project.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

SimYouLater wrote: 14 Jul 2019 22:42Visual Studio 2015 spits out a bunch of errors when I try to build the github project.
There are binaries linked from the first post, I'd suggest using them instead.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oh yeah, just thought I'd let you know I compiled (in visual studio 2019) your NRT branch and so-far it's been rock-solid. Only thing that hitched was the sprite-sorter dealing with an epic edge case of an NRT roadtype bridge with custom bridgeheads, and a station underneath... and even that was fine until a train and a tram were occupying the same tile. Otherwise apart from the disco flickering mess I've not managed to break it.

Any particular parts you need stress-tested?

Edit: I didn't notice you pushed a prerelease out, looks like it went out the same night I did my own compile.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Aegir wrote: 15 Jul 2019 09:38 Any particular parts you need stress-tested?
Multiplayer with NRT is something that I've done zero testing of so far.
In general I'm not aware of anything that doesn't work, but statistically there is probably a bug somewhere.
Aegir wrote: 15 Jul 2019 09:38Only thing that hitched was the sprite-sorter dealing with an epic edge case of an NRT roadtype bridge with custom bridgeheads, and a station underneath... and even that was fine until a train and a tram were occupying the same tile. Otherwise apart from the disco flickering mess I've not managed to break it.
The sprite sorting mechanism is quite unsatisfactory even without these extra features. Realistically there is too much legacy to replace it with something different/better though. I will see if I can tweak this particular case a bit.
Were you using the default stations or a NewGRF station set?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

JGR wrote: 15 Jul 2019 14:00
Aegir wrote: 15 Jul 2019 09:38 Any particular parts you need stress-tested?
Multiplayer with NRT is something that I've done zero testing of so far.
In general I'm not aware of anything that doesn't work, but statistically there is probably a bug somewhere.
Cool. Not yet had a chance to try out MP as I normally play solo. Might do some shenanigans with infrastructure sharing again though with a local server so I'll see how I go.
JGR wrote: 15 Jul 2019 14:00
Aegir wrote: 15 Jul 2019 09:38Only thing that hitched was the sprite-sorter dealing with an epic edge case of an NRT roadtype bridge with custom bridgeheads, and a station underneath... and even that was fine until a train and a tram were occupying the same tile. Otherwise apart from the disco flickering mess I've not managed to break it.
The sprite sorting mechanism is quite unsatisfactory even without these extra features. Realistically there is too much legacy to replace it with something different/better though. I will see if I can tweak this particular case a bit.
Were you using the default stations or a NewGRF station set?
Hah, I only really mentioned the sprite sorter glitch in jest. I think anyone who's been around more than a few days has realized what a mess it is. And yes, the Industrial Stations Renewal station tiles were beneath, however just straight platforms no silly business. Bounding boxes for those should have been the same as the default sprites although I've yet to take a peek under the hood of it.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

In 0.31.3, when building a station, if you are extending a station, the entire previous station is highlighted as if you had it selected, it's very easy to lose track as to which tile you're actually on.

In the below image i am trying to extend the station at the bottom right (you can see a tile highlighted), and doing that has highlighted the rest of the station.
2019-07-16 03_55_30-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.31.3.png
2019-07-16 03_55_30-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.31.3.png (153.43 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
I'm not sure if this is intentional or a glitch, but it's a bit frustrating to work with at times. I tried to look for a setting to disable it, incase it was a feature, but couldn't find one.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote: 16 Jul 2019 02:56 In 0.31.3, when building a station, if you are extending a station, the entire previous station is highlighted as if you had it selected, it's very easy to lose track as to which tile you're actually on.
that's a trunk feature. it came along with the rewrite of how catchment area works.
Bounding boxes for those should have been the same as the default sprites although I've yet to take a peek under the hood of it.
if you're using newgrf developer tools, you can press Ctrl+B to see bounding boxes. generally, if they overlap, you've basically lost.

and station bounding boxes are probably too high, as nobody designed them with having anything above in mind.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote: 16 Jul 2019 05:30 that's a trunk feature. it came along with the rewrite of how catchment area works.
Criikey, I hope there is a way of disabling that in settings in the future. I've reverted back to 31.2 of the patch to avoid it until i can sort out how to disable it. It'd be slightly less confusing to use if the tile you were currently one wasn't coloured the same white highlight as the rest of it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 16 Jul 2019 15:10
Eddi wrote: 16 Jul 2019 05:30 that's a trunk feature. it came along with the rewrite of how catchment area works.
Criikey, I hope there is a way of disabling that in settings in the future. I've reverted back to 31.2 of the patch to avoid it until i can sort out how to disable it. It'd be slightly less confusing to use if the tile you were currently one wasn't coloured the same white highlight as the rest of it.
I'll see what I can do about this, adding a setting and/or changing the colours should not be too difficult.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

yeah, i'm sorry. it's just in its current state it is easy to confuse yourself as to what time you are editing or modifying on an already built station, if its the same colour as the rest, its easy to lose track of the mouse too.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

JGR wrote: 14 Jul 2019 22:45
SimYouLater wrote: 14 Jul 2019 22:42Visual Studio 2015 spits out a bunch of errors when I try to build the github project.
There are binaries linked from the first post, I'd suggest using them instead.
I just want to thank you for all your work. Release Candidate 1 has no bugs so far, and I've been testing it for a couple days. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

IMHO using different colors for the station tiles and for the tile with the cursor would be enough for distinction.

Tschö, Auge
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Auge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 08:03 Hello

IMHO using different colors for the station tiles and for the tile with the cursor would be enough for distinction.

Tschö, Auge
Yes, this would work very well just to add immediate obviousness to it all. I am surprised it wasn't done like this already by whoever committed it into trunk.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Auge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 08:03 Hello

Tschö, Auge
The main challenge for that is to add more palettes for swapping the tile highlight, currently there's only white, blue, and pulsing red. The red is reserved for errors, and the white and blue are already used in the visualisation.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
jfs wrote: 17 Jul 2019 14:42
Auge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 08:03 IMHO using different colors for the station tiles and for the tile with the cursor would be enough for distinction.
The main challenge for that is to add more palettes for swapping the tile highlight, currently there's only white, blue, and pulsing red. The red is reserved for errors, and the white and blue are already used in the visualisation.
Ok, thinking … thinking …

The red colour is reserved for errors, the blue is used for the station catchment area and white should be reserved for the cursor. So why not use the blue not only for the catchment area but also (when building or extending the station and only then) for the station tiles?

Tschö, Auge
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Auge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 16:55Ok, thinking … thinking …

The red colour is reserved for errors, the blue is used for the station catchment area and white should be reserved for the cursor. So why not use the blue not only for the catchment area but also (when building or extending the station and only then) for the station tiles?

Tschö, Auge
There are plenty of colours available. There are recolour sprites which originally came from the zoning patch, and more can be created if necessary.

The light blue colour is probably suitable.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

In 0.32-RC1, a friend tried to use the info tool on a rail bridge head and the game crashed.
Attachments
crash.png
(97.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
crash.dmp
(19.63 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
crash.txt
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 18 Jul 2019 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

only for clarification
JGR wrote: 17 Jul 2019 20:21
Auge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 16:55… why not use the blue not only for the catchment area but also (when building or extending the station and only then) for the station tiles?
There are plenty of colours available. There are recolour sprites which originally came from the zoning patch, and more can be created if necessary.

The light blue colour is probably suitable.
Please be aware of possibly mixing up the issue (in relation of JGRPP versus OpenTTD). I answered jfs who replied to the question about white borders for station tiles and cursor which is, as stated before by eddi, a trunk/OpenTTD feature. Even it would be possible to solve this inside JGRPP it would be preferable to solve it in trunk/OpenTTD for the whole audience. jfs stated that there are only white, blue and blinking red in trunk and not, as in JGRPP, additional colours from the zoning patch.

Tschö, Auge
Denswillow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Denswillow »

I don`t know if this is the right place but I had a weird issue with JGRPP 32-rc1. It seems like vehicles don`t follow the speed limits set by the road set.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

could you provide a savegame?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”