JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by vincentkoevoets »

Hey there JGR! I have two requests for additional patches:

- ChillCore's patchpack has a speed signal. A train that would pass the signal, would get the speed of the signal as max speed, until it passes a signal that allowed another speed. The result was the simulation of a stretch of track with a maximum speed. I found a previous post in this thread asked and awnsered by yourself:
There have been many attempts at speed signals, why specifically that one? What do you want to do that can't be done with assigning speeds to orders as per trunk?

Well, it is much easier to configure just one signal, instead of changing all the order speeds for all trains that pass the bit of track you want a maximum speed for (and having to use waypoints to achieve this for a short bit of track). I have an example: I want my trains to slow down before they enter the station, because of crossings, realism, etc. It would be ideal to just put a signal before the station that slows down every train that passes it, instead of having to put in a waypoint, and setting the lower speed between the waypoint and the station for each train seperately. I hope you understand the gist.

- Spring patchpack has a copy/paste function for copying an amount of tiles and pasting them somewhere else. Very handy for building lots of detailed stations along a train line. It is found here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45488&hilit=[patch]. I imagine you have heard of it. Could it be implemented in your own patch pack?

Thanks A LOT for the good work, I still love playing the game and appreciate your efforts to keep it alive!
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

What happened to the running costs from 0.27.0 to 0.27.1 and 0.28.0? Incomes, infrastructure costs, etc, are all the same, but the vehicle running costs have multiplied by large amounts. No settings have been changed, and this applies to all save games.
Attachments
PRV, 6th Nov 1960.png
(230.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

Mizari wrote:What happened to the running costs from 0.27.0 to 0.27.1 and 0.28.0? Incomes, infrastructure costs, etc, are all the same, but the vehicle running costs have multiplied by large amounts. No settings have been changed, and this applies to all save games.
Day length multiplies the running costs, if it's too high It's better to adjust the running costs with basecosts mod (you can change for every type of vehicle/train/air/ship) or newgrf setting if there is one to get a better gameplay.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Mizari wrote:What happened to the running costs from 0.27.0 to 0.27.1 and 0.28.0? Incomes, infrastructure costs, etc, are all the same, but the vehicle running costs have multiplied by large amounts. No settings have been changed, and this applies to all save games.
Between 0.27.0 and 0.28.0 some upstream changes/additions to the NewGRF interface were merged.
There weren't any changes specifically around running costs as far as I am aware.

Perhaps the vehicle set NewGRF which you're using was affected somehow.
If you can post a savegame I'll take a look.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

The daylength was always set at the same (15), but that was not it. It seems that the ability to configure costs in settings to detail was removed (trunk change?), and this was what affected the running costs. I haven't needed to use the base costs grf before, as there used to be a setting to adjust costs, but this is now gone. I guess I'm using that base cost adjustment grf now.
wiser212
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wiser212 »

Just found the JGR patch and really enjoy it. Thank you! I have this running flawlessly on my Windows machine. However, I am trying to get Mac (High Sierra) version working and can't seem to compile. I went through this post and read how others have compiled it and followed what was done but still can't seem to compile. So the question I have is, is there precompiled Mac version out there I can download?

Thanks
vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

wiser212 wrote:Just found the JGR patch and really enjoy it. Thank you! I have this running flawlessly on my Windows machine. However, I am trying to get Mac (High Sierra) version working and can't seem to compile. I went through this post and read how others have compiled it and followed what was done but still can't seem to compile. So the question I have is, is there precompiled Mac version out there I can download?

Thanks
I have a compiled bundle, but I'm not sure how to share it, if I am allowed to do so at all. Maybe JGR can give some directions for that?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

vincentkoevoets wrote:
wiser212 wrote:Just found the JGR patch and really enjoy it. Thank you! I have this running flawlessly on my Windows machine. However, I am trying to get Mac (High Sierra) version working and can't seem to compile. I went through this post and read how others have compiled it and followed what was done but still can't seem to compile. So the question I have is, is there precompiled Mac version out there I can download?

Thanks
I have a compiled bundle, but I'm not sure how to share it, if I am allowed to do so at all. Maybe JGR can give some directions for that?
Just upload the file here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

vincentkoevoets wrote:I have a compiled bundle, but I'm not sure how to share it, if I am allowed to do so at all. Maybe JGR can give some directions for that?
just make sure you adhere to the license, particularly
  • the COPYING file must be there
  • if you made any modifications, please state them
vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

just make sure you adhere to the license, particularly
  • the COPYING file must be there
  • if you made any modifications, please state them
I just compiled for private use, so I have no idea if this is good. If it isn't, I will remove it again immediately.
Attachments
openttd-custom-jgrpp-0.28.0-macOS.zip
Openttd macOS
(7.37 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

vincentkoevoets wrote:I have a compiled bundle, but I'm not sure how to share it, if I am allowed to do so at all. Maybe JGR can give some directions for that?
If you compiled using make bundle then the bundle folder contains all the documentation required for an unaltered distribution.
Looking inside your zip I would say that you got it right. 8)
vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

wallyweb wrote:
If you compiled using make bundle then the bundle folder contains all the documentation required for an unaltered distribution.
Looking inside your zip I would say that you got it right. 8)
Yes, that's exactly what I did. Should be fine then!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

vincentkoevoets wrote:Hey there JGR! I have two requests for additional patches:

- ChillCore's patchpack has a speed signal. A train that would pass the signal, would get the speed of the signal as max speed, until it passes a signal that allowed another speed. The result was the simulation of a stretch of track with a maximum speed. I found a previous post in this thread asked and awnsered by yourself:
There have been many attempts at speed signals, why specifically that one? What do you want to do that can't be done with assigning speeds to orders as per trunk?

Well, it is much easier to configure just one signal, instead of changing all the order speeds for all trains that pass the bit of track you want a maximum speed for (and having to use waypoints to achieve this for a short bit of track). I have an example: I want my trains to slow down before they enter the station, because of crossings, realism, etc. It would be ideal to just put a signal before the station that slows down every train that passes it, instead of having to put in a waypoint, and setting the lower speed between the waypoint and the station for each train seperately. I hope you understand the gist.

- Spring patchpack has a copy/paste function for copying an amount of tiles and pasting them somewhere else. Very handy for building lots of detailed stations along a train line. It is found here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45488&hilit=[patch]. I imagine you have heard of it. Could it be implemented in your own patch pack?

Thanks A LOT for the good work, I still love playing the game and appreciate your efforts to keep it alive!
Speed signals have come up a few times before. I don't really see the use case myself, but I can see why it has been asked for.
Forgetting to place a "remove speed restriction" signal, and useful handling of non-plain line are key issues which don't seen to have been addressed.
I can see about looking into it again at some point though.

Copy and paste has many technical issues and bugs.
From a gameplay point of view it encourages spamming and only really works on fairly empty/featureless maps.
I'm not particularly keen on implementing it really.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

JGR wrote: Speed signals have come up a few times before. I don't really see the use case myself, but I can see why it has been asked for.
Forgetting to place a "remove speed restriction" signal, and useful handling of non-plain line are key issues which don't seen to have been addressed.
I can see about looking into it again at some point though.

Copy and paste has many technical issues and bugs.
From a gameplay point of view it encourages spamming and only really works on fairly empty/featureless maps.
I'm not particularly keen on implementing it really.
Thanks for looking into it someday, would be awesome! And too bad for the copy/paste feature, but I see what you mean there.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

Would it be possible to include a Copy/Paste patch in the game kit? Someone has recently repaired the patch to work for Openttd version 1.8.0.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45488&start=220
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

agentw4b wrote:Would it be possible to include a Copy/Paste patch in the game kit? Someone has recently repaired the patch to work for Openttd version 1.8.0.

Can you read two post above you????????
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

ino wrote:
agentw4b wrote:Would it be possible to include a Copy/Paste patch in the game kit? Someone has recently repaired the patch to work for Openttd version 1.8.0.

Can you read two post above you????????
The mention of this patch was hidden among a lot of other questions, I did not notice it. An English language is not my native language.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

this may be intentional, but it seems a bit illogical, so i'll report it as a bug.

If you open a train window, and then play about with the size of that window, then click the shade window button (the left button of the 3 buttons on the top right of the window), then if you click the middle of those 3 buttons to resize the window back to default, when you then open that back up to full size (reclick the left hand button of the 3), the window will reopen at the modified size you made earlier, instead of the default size you previously selected, and the shade bar was after clicking it.

edit: this also occurs in OpenTTD 1.8 default (i have JGR 0.28.0, plus a stock OTTD 1.8 install)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ro(V)eO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ro(V)eO »

vincentkoevoets wrote: I just compiled for private use, so I have no idea if this is good. If it isn't, I will remove it again immediately.
Thanks Vincent, great idea sharing a working patched OTTD version for Mac!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work without the libraries. Is there any way around this problem, or do i have to install these whole compiling stuff myself?

I am not THAT into compiling (not at all to be exact) and at the first few tries, it didn't work..
xCode - check
Fink - error while installing :-/
vincentkoevoets
Engineer
Engineer

Ro(V)eO wrote:
vincentkoevoets wrote: I just compiled for private use, so I have no idea if this is good. If it isn't, I will remove it again immediately.
Thanks Vincent, great idea sharing a working patched OTTD version for Mac!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work without the libraries. Is there any way around this problem, or do i have to install these whole compiling stuff myself?

I am not THAT into compiling (not at all to be exact) and at the first few tries, it didn't work..
xCode - check
Fink - error while installing :-/
Hmm.. it is possible that I did not compile with the libraries included. I will compile again with
--enable-static and upload the file again.

EDIT
I compiled again with --enable-static, but it comes out the same size as before. I suggest you try the attached file, and see if it works. If it doesn't, maybe one of the more technical people here can help?
Attachments
openttd-custom-jgrpp-0.28.0-macOS.zip
(7.39 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”