JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by kamnet »

BW89 wrote:
kamnet wrote:
BW89 wrote:Could you make the OpenGFX + Airports Seaplane Airport usable in your Patchpack like in the Joker Patchpack?
Download the latest nightly version of OpenGFX+ Airports, it includes the seaplane airport now.
I am using the latest nightly but i cant place the seaplane Airport in the Water.
Yes, and that's noted in the discussion thread for OpenGFX+ Airports. I looked over Joker's patch pack and I didn't see anything which would have permitted this.
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Crazy.
The seaplane Airport only works as seaplane Airport when i use ogfx+ Airports v5584 in Jokers Pack but with v6200 its the same problem like in JGR's Patchpack.
EDIT: And the 5584 crashes in JGR's Pack
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

BW89 wrote:Crazy.
The seaplane Airport only works as seaplane Airport when i use ogfx+ Airports v5584 in Jokers Pack but with v6200 its the same problem like in JGR's Patchpack.
EDIT: And the 5584 crashes in JGR's Pack
Can you clarify what the problem is? A crashlog would be useful. v5584 does not appear to be available for download.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

I am not at my PC but the older grf is getting deactivated after loading a new map.
You can download the old GRF in the linked grf pack under Jokers season 3 openttd lets play.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

BW89 wrote:I am not at my PC but the older grf is getting deactivated after loading a new map.
You can download the old GRF in the linked grf pack under Jokers season 3 openttd lets play.
I still cannot find it. Can you please upload it here? (It's allowable under license).
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Here is the GRF
Attachments
seaport6.grf
Open GFX + Airports v5584
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

I tried the v5584 copy of the newgrf.
It does not appear to be valid and is therefore disabled (Unknown Action 0 property 0x12 (sprite 15734)). No crash occurred.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

JGR wrote:I tried the v5584 copy of the newgrf.
It does not appear to be valid and is therefore disabled (Unknown Action 0 property 0x12 (sprite 15734)). No crash occurred.
BW89 wrote:Here is the GRF
Aha. That's not OpenGFX+ Airports, that's Roslav's patched version of Native seaplane airports. If that's included in his patch pack I'm guessing it's mislabeled as "Airport upgrade".
bedrok123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bedrok123 »

I would like to report a bug. Recently, while on an online server, a crash had happened between 2 of my trains, an HST and a 158 express sprinter from the BRTrains Set v0.3.5. After that, the path reserved by the 158 set remained, clogging up a junction, and covers an integral part of it in such a way so that no trains can pass, is it an issue on my end or on the packs end?

I am currently on the Windows binary version 0.20.1. If any further information is required, can you PM me?

Attachments
Great Western Railway, Dec 26th, 2055.png
(136.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hector-Lavoe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hector-Lavoe »

Hi,

Just some (maybe stupid) questions because I'm new to the idea of patches.

I'm currently running OTTD on its own latest patch, I reported a bug prior to 1.7.0 and I understand that it was fixed I think in the patch prior to 1.7.0, is this JGR based fully on each OTTD version or is it it's own thing? If I install this on 1.7.1 would it be basically 1.7.1 with extras or would it be say 1.6.0 with extras (covering the 1.7.1 files, meaning the bug would still be there)?

Say I have a save in 1.7.1 and then I run it in JGR and keep playing then how would it impact the save if I went back to 1.7.1 or is the save now unable to be opened on 1.7.1 due to the fact that the save is from JGR?

Am I able to add my own patches and remove them from saved games in the same way I can with .grf files? While I know it is not advised to remove .grf I do it anyway as I always backup and I am yet to face a problem because of it.

Finally is this patch compatable with all .grfs in the same way that standard OTTD is or will some be broken by it?
Hej allesammen.
Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Cadde »

Hector-Lavoe wrote:I'm currently running OTTD on its own latest patch, I reported a bug prior to 1.7.0 and I understand that it was fixed I think in the patch prior to 1.7.0, is this JGR based fully on each OTTD version or is it it's own thing? If I install this on 1.7.1 would it be basically 1.7.1 with extras or would it be say 1.6.0 with extras (covering the 1.7.1 files, meaning the bug would still be there)?
Latest trunk version of OTTD is...

Code: Select all

Latest release in trunk is r27892, released on 2017-07-28 18:01 UTC.
The version that JGRPP is built against is r27891.
What this means is, JGRPP is one revision behind trunk. Or on other words, it applies to an OTTD version of 1.7.1 and then some.
Say I have a save in 1.7.1 and then I run it in JGR and keep playing then how would it impact the save if I went back to 1.7.1 or is the save now unable to be opened on 1.7.1 due to the fact that the save is from JGR?
I would not recommend even attempting to load a standard save and continuing it in JGR.
Even if the notes in the first post says you should be able to, i would personally feel safer if it was a clean savegame for JGR.
And no, you cannot load a save that was saved with JGRPP in vanilla OTTD or any other patch pack that i know of. The save game has some very JGRPP (or rather, it's component patches) specific data in it that the vanilla game wouldn't know how to load.
Am I able to add my own patches and remove them from saved games in the same way I can with .grf files? While I know it is not advised to remove .grf I do it anyway as I always backup and I am yet to face a problem because of it.
If you know how to write a patch, then you should know what would break savegame compatibility when doing so. A patch is NOT a grf. And grf's will almost always affect the savegame in some way. The reason one shouldn't reload grf's is because it can leave the game in an irrecoverable state. Be it missing vehicles, missing objects, missing industries, missing cargoes etc etc etc. Basically, once you've added something to the game via a grf and it's being used, you shouldn't reload grfs carelessly. Even less should you report bugs with either the grf or the patch when you do.
I find myself reloading grf's quite frequently myself though. But then again, i think about what i am changing before doing so.

The same of course applies to a patch. If the patch affects the save/load routines then it's going to break if you change those save/load routines or remove them.
Finally is this patch compatable with all .grfs in the same way that standard OTTD is or will some be broken by it?
JGRPP (as far as i understand) is GRF feature complete just the same way trunk is. I don't even think JGRPP changes how grf's are handled in any way.
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

Cadde wrote: I would not recommend even attempting to load a standard save and continuing it in JGR. Even if the notes in the first post says you should be able to, i would personally feel safer if it was a clean savegame for JGR.
There really is nothing to be worry about here. Everything in the standard save can be loaded correctly and properly by JGR patch pack. I convert a lot of save game when I begin to use JGR patch pack without any problems at all. But if you feel better then there is no harm either.
Cadde wrote: And no, you cannot load a save that was saved with JGRPP in vanilla OTTD or any other patch pack that i know of. The save game has some very JGRPP (or rather, it's component patches) specific data in it that the vanilla game wouldn't know how to load.
Yes, the game won't even let you load the JGR save in vanilla.
To add/remove patch yourself you need to recompile the game, or change to another patchpack. Unless you manipulate the save game yourself (something I don't recommend at all), usually the load dialog will not allow you to load the save made with other patches at all. There might be some case where you can load, but you risk a crash by doing so.
Hector-Lavoe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hector-Lavoe »

Thank you both for quick replies and yeah I know about the risks tied to changing .grf files in a running game and take care with it.
Hej allesammen.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The savegame format for JGRPP games differs in a number of ways from trunk savegames.
By design, trunk and unrelated patch packs will not attempt to load JGRPP savegames.
In general, patchpacks/patched versions using my modified savegame format will only attempt to load games if the feature/version set listed in the savegame is equal to or a subset of the feature/version set supported by the version doing the loading. However some features may be marked in the savegame as non-essential and so may be discarded if the loading version does not support them, and some features may be only conditionally listed in the savegame when performing the save.

For example, loading trunk savegames in JGRPP is no problem, as is loading single-patch savegames which use my modified savegame format where the patch has been merged into JGRPP.

Modifying savegames is a non-starter, the OpenTTD savegame format is quite non-trivial.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I do know that saves from the Spring Patch Pack load in JGRPP, with is nice as I usually lpay with that for single player
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I've got another crash report! I know that it's the sound files for my class 313/314/315, but I don't know why it crashes. It works fine on vanilla.
Attachments
crash.dmp
(18.95 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
OpenTTD JGR Crash @ 0953 11-08-17.txt
(39.49 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

Not familiar with this part of the code, but the crash reason states that the sound file has more than 1 channel. Maybe if you convert your custom sound to Mono it will works.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Try it on a fresh game. You changed NewGRFs in that game, so warranty is void now.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

In which case...
Attachments
OpenTTD JGR Crash @ 1123 24-07-17.txt
How bout this?
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

So that eliminates one source of trouble :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”