JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by gebik »

JGR wrote: 05 Jul 2021 09:56 For now I'd recommend switching to the standard window in the settings.
The setting is "Separate locomotives and wagons in train purchase window".
Thanks, it works as before! Can't however wait for the new window...
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MLG wrote: 05 Jul 2021 11:10
MLG wrote: 04 Jul 2021 16:11 Hi, JGR,
is it normal that public roads don't show up in large area view? Town owned roads are showing up as black-ish, so maybe those roads could share same colour. Unless anything changed my settings, it should be that company ownership map version.
This would be really nice for planning.
This is fixed now.
MLG wrote: 04 Jul 2021 16:11 And a wish for ability to buy other companies in MP when everybody in that company agrees to sell it, and then merge that companies and players build together. Maybe also ability to buy infrastructure from other player company too, this would be only from a player company to prevent AI crashes.
This would be good for those friendly or cooperative games.
Buying companies with admin approval is something to look into some day. Buying individual bits of infrastructure probably is probably more trouble than it is worth, but perhaps some time.
MLG wrote: 04 Jul 2021 16:11 EDIT to avoid bumping: In addiction to public roads, I got an idea of selecting NewGRFs from active NewGRF list, game would then put their road (tram not) RVs in game as randomly roaming traffic. It would put x (x is user setting) RVs per town, they would use player roads even with infrastructure sharing off, would not use stops and not break down or break down and use company depots to repair for same amount of money as it would be player vehicle, which will companies earn from them. Italics would be a on/off switch. There is an AI for similar thing, however it is broken by NRT...
Neutral traffic would be nice add-on to public roads... If this would be implemented, road priorities and maybe traffic lights would be good too.
I still think that this is better suited to pluggable AIs or GSs. There's no technical reason why these cannot be made to properly handle NRT.

Traffic lights and other such are in DBPP's branch. In my own testing/opinion these are mostly a novelty and don't actually improve traffic flow or anything useful like that.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

JGR wrote: 05 Jul 2021 16:50 Traffic lights and other such are in DBPP's branch. In my own testing/opinion these are mostly a novelty and don't actually improve traffic flow or anything useful like that.
I tend to agree with JGR on the traffic lights.This actually mimics real life in that road authorities will not install traffic lights if the traffic volume does not warrant it. How many games have been played with 1000 vehicles in a town?
Regarding traffic flow, I do have an issue with drive-through road stops where a truck will take an exorbitant detour just to avoid a bus stop and similarly with buses avoiding truck stops.
The only exception is if there is no detour route available. One way roads can help but they are not always possible. Conclusion: we know that, if forced, one vehicle type will drive through another's road stop, so why don't we simply eliminate the restriction? I do realize we can use a "go via" order but it can be a real pain to organize.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

JGR wrote: 05 Jul 2021 16:50 I still think that this is better suited to pluggable AIs or GSs. There's no technical reason why these cannot be made to properly handle NRT.
Ok, Just a note, if I have infrastructure sharing on, then traffic AI vehicles will stop at my stops, messing with cargodist... This could be avoided by having those "sharing of road/rail etc. infrastructure" settings separate for each company.
I still have no clue how to make an OTTD AI... Maybe you could make one?

EDIT to avoid bumping: Maybe that AI could be fork of this: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=42393 I know this is old AI, however there is only one newer, actually fork of this AI, and which has not any URL linked in BaNaNaS nor in description...
Just decide if you want to create that AI from zero or if you want to fix an old AI...
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934

Formerly known as MLG.
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Hello JGR,
Here attached are two crash reports which occured on the same day (today) . I am using the most recent version of the patchpack.
Nothing to put here!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MLG wrote: 05 Jul 2021 20:56
JGR wrote: 05 Jul 2021 16:50 I still think that this is better suited to pluggable AIs or GSs. There's no technical reason why these cannot be made to properly handle NRT.
Ok, Just a note, if I have infrastructure sharing on, then traffic AI vehicles will stop at my stops, messing with cargodist... This could be avoided by having those "sharing of road/rail etc. infrastructure" settings separate for each company.
I still have no clue how to make an OTTD AI... Maybe you could make one?

EDIT to avoid bumping: Maybe that AI could be fork of this: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=42393 I know this is old AI, however there is only one newer, actually fork of this AI, and which has not any URL linked in BaNaNaS nor in description...
Just decide if you want to create that AI from zero or if you want to fix an old AI...
I have no plans to make my own GS/AI or NewGRF. There are plenty of others here who can do that.
SomeIndianGuy wrote: 06 Jul 2021 13:40 Hello JGR,
Here attached are two crash reports which occured on the same day (today) . I am using the most recent version of the patchpack.
These are from the new train purchase window, these have already been fixed.
You should set "Separate locomotives and wagons in train purchase window" to off for now.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

These are from the new train purchase window, these have already been fixed.
You should set "Separate locomotives and wagons in train purchase window" to off for now.
Noted.
Nothing to put here!
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

Taschi wrote: 04 Jul 2021 17:13 The juxtaposition of an asphalt road with pristine lane markings on a wooden bridge still looks kind of odd, even with that (very reasonable) gameplay justification.
´
It doesn't use that road necessarily. Depends on game start. it uses whatever the towns use. If you start in 1900 you tend to get dirt roads instead
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

wallyweb wrote: 05 Jul 2021 20:21 Regarding traffic flow, I do have an issue with drive-through road stops where a truck will take an exorbitant detour just to avoid a bus stop and similarly with buses avoiding truck stops.
The only exception is if there is no detour route available. One way roads can help but they are not always possible. Conclusion: we know that, if forced, one vehicle type will drive through another's road stop, so why don't we simply eliminate the restriction? I do realize we can use a "go via" order but it can be a real pain to organize.
That's simply caused by stations having a penalty for the pathfinder. That's true for trains as well. I don't agree that removing that is a good idea. It makes vehicles treat stops as regular roads and that can cause traffic jams since now ALL vehicles go through there if it's the shortest route. That's like saying it's ok for all vehicles in a city to drive through a big bus stop even if they don'T need to be there. yes technically thse are not big bus hubs but at the side of the road stops but usually in traffic areas in real life the bus can clear the lane on those.. here they cant so there'd be a traffic jam behind them.

Busses avoid bus stops that are not on their route too btw, that has nothing to do with it being a bus stop. ALL station tiles get a pathfinder penalty. And I think that should remain this way. In certain cases it might be annoying but in the general case it's the better behavior to avoid traffic issues.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Lt_Joker wrote: 06 Jul 2021 21:19 ...
You just gave me an idea. :idea:
Leave the road as is and build the stop beside the road as a turn out.
Thank you. :bow:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Is there something wrong with paying for cargo? I don't make money on things they used to make, I'll research further. It's similar to what I reported earlier when loading games from the Joker patchpack.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

wallyweb wrote: 05 Jul 2021 20:21why don't we simply eliminate the restriction?
you can do that yourself. all the necessary settings are there, even in vanilla.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

Hi JGR,
is it intented, that with U&RaTT those public roads have a 50kmph / cca. 30 mph speed limit. I know that they are what-towns-build roadtype, but isn't there a way to go around that? I also support fact, that player's task is to upgrade them, however this is too slow. :)

Thanks!

Formerly known as MLG.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
MLG wrote: 07 Jul 2021 11:46 is it intented, that with U&RaTT those public roads have a 50kmph / cca. 30 mph speed limit. I know that they are what-towns-build roadtype, but isn't there a way to go around that? I also support fact, that player's task is to upgrade them, however this is too slow. :)
Lt_Joker wrote: 06 Jul 2021 21:14 Depends on game start. it uses whatever the towns use. If you start in 1900 you tend to get dirt roads instead
If the NRT-set provides a specific road that towns are able to build at the specific time and this road type has a speed limit of 30 kph or 50 kph, that's it. I argued also to allow to build the fastest possible road (even it's not a road buildable by towns) but it seems to me that the road network will be build by the towns itself and those can only build roads that they allowed to build. So they can only build (mostly slow) town roads.

Tschö, Auge
Deicide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deicide »

I've found a problem: in arctic climate no trees spawn in snow areas regardless of tree placer algorithm; also choosing "Perfect" algorithm prevents the player from placing trees in snow areas manually.
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

That's the artic tree line. That's not a bug. Above a certain height there will be no tree growth as in real life there's no trees on moutain tops. If you want a more gradual treeline instead of a sudden stop you need to activate the tree line range in Environment settings.
Deicide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deicide »

Lt_Joker wrote: 09 Jul 2021 06:18 That's the artic tree line. That's not a bug. Above a certain height there will be no tree growth as in real life there's no trees on moutain tops. If you want a more gradual treeline instead of a sudden stop you need to activate the tree line range in Environment settings.
Huh, weird. Apparently my "Arctic tree range" setting went from deafult 8 to 1 without me ever touching it. Also, there is still an inconsistency, where I can manually place trees anywhere, unless I'm on "Perfect" algorithm. It makes little sense, that world generation setting also effects what the player can do.
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

I actually added that in the pull request for that new algorithm because I thought it made very little sense that the world generation algorithm clearly says there are no trees growing on mountain tops, AND the tree algorithm prevents them from naturally growing there, but the player is allowed to plant them there. Doesn't that seem like the bigger inconsistency? I mean I doubt it would work if you tried to plant trees on the top of a mountain in the alps ... just doesn't make sense. If plants don't grow there naturally then you also cannot plant them there. they'll die. It's frozen rock after all. Makes no sense for the player to take a tool and plant a forest on the top of a mountain while the game is prevented from spreading trees there.
Either they can grow there or not. If anything I consider that an inconsistency in the old algorithms, but I didn't want to touch those.
justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by justaplayer »

I just made a game with ''Extremely many'' rivers and this wierd genration happened:
Attachments
Riverade.sav
This is fine??
(44.7 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

justaplayer wrote: 11 Jul 2021 23:19 I just made a game with ''Extremely many'' rivers and this wierd genration happened:
What exactly is weird about it? Looks pretty standard to me

Return to “OpenTTD Development”