JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by acs121 »

As for OzTrans' wishlist, I'm mainly okay with Snow in Temperate - there already are patches for this, and I think it would be a great implementation, especially fot those trying to imitate Scandinavian climates. Although one could tell another to use OpenGFX+ Landscape's AlpineClimate, i'd say no for multiple reasons :
- some GRFs such as DBSetXL or TempSet disable themselves in the arctic climate. Sure, oberhümer has made a GRF "Mock AlpineClimate" for DBXL to think AlpineClimate is enabled, but that takes up another GRF in the list.
- again with GRFs, there are graphic issues, especially with UK Road Set, which become quite ugly with arctic grass beneath the roads, surrounded with Temperate grass.
- Some may just want to play with the Temperate industries.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

OzTrans wrote:BTW, where can I find a Win32 executable of the latest 'trunk-master' ?
Do you mean this?
I don't know if this has been superseded with the move to github. 2018-04-06 seems to be quite a long period since a last nightly release.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The compile farm currently isn't functioning, there isn't any official compiled versions of the latest release since the move to github. You'll have to compile it on your own.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:The compile farm currently isn't functioning, there isn't any official compiled versions of the latest release since the move to github. You'll have to compile it on your own.
Thanks. I'll crank up my MinGW and get a copy for OzTrans in the morning.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MichalSoldat wrote:And finally i found bug with using "through load" feature:
If you use timetable for example, through load time 60 ticks, every time the train moves to load new wagons ticks resets again to 60. I think it shoud be set to whole through load to 60. So that would be more transparent. Now it ruins my whole timetable.
I can't find any issue of ticks being reset when loading a new set of wagons, however I've fixed a related bug in through load timetabling which could cause timetabling problems. This will be in the next release.
In the meantime, if you can send a savegame which shows the problem I can can check whether this fully fixes the issue.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

@OzTrans, regarding Temperate with snow; you can "simulate" it in the Arctic climate by combining some NewGRFs:

- OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 to get "Alpine" climate
- Smooth snow transition for much nicer snow with the green Temperate grass
- OpenGFX+ Industries 0.3.5 to force Temperate industries in Arctic climate

It looks like this (note I have a bunch of other NewGRFs also active):

Variable snow line is fully functional, and provided you use snow-aware NewGRFs and tweak their settings a bit, it only has minor quirks with some objects. If you're interested I can also post my NewGRFs and OpenTTD settings.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Gliptal wrote:@OzTrans, regarding Temperate with snow; you can "simulate" it in the Arctic climate by combining some NewGRFs: ...
Thank you for the info. That is exactly what I have now done. The player is given a parameter to select temperate or sub-arctic landscape in an arctic game, including variable snowline. All buildings, stations, industries, rivers, road and rail etc will match the landscape rather than the climate with everything being snow-aware.
Temperate Landscape in sub-arctic.png
(281.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Yes but no. Because, for example, the UK Road Set will match the climate's grass. And that's just an example. This being said, many other GRFs will do the same thing. I tried, even with these 3 GRFs. Thing is, the patch forces other GRFs to simulate temperate grass.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm leaning against "snow in temperate", because it should be fairly easy to adapt the NewGRFs to change the grass type (e.g. via GRF parameter), wheras the patch just increases the maintenance madness of managing parallel features...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

It takes much less time to code a patch forcing all NewGRFs to use the temperate grass than to recode all NewGRFs so that they use temperate grass instead.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:It takes much less time to code a patch forcing all NewGRFs to use the temperate grass than to recode all NewGRFs so that they use temperate grass instead.
Says the person who doesn't contribute code. :?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Hello JGR,

I don't know if you remember the docking buoy from TTDPatch, but cirdan has this implemented in New Map Features such that if one builds a dock over water, one gets a docking buoy. Any chance of adding this most useful feature to your patch?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:It takes much less time to code a patch forcing all NewGRFs to use the temperate grass than to recode all NewGRFs so that they use temperate grass instead.
Honestly, the "you haven't created anything" argument became more of an attack over the years it seems. While i see no problem to be on the forums and not contributing code. I could contribute some, but especially since what happened recently i don't think i'm going to contribute any code.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:
kamnet wrote:
Honestly, the "you haven't created anything" argument became more of an attack over the years it seems. While i see no problem to be on the forums and not contributing code. I could contribute some, but especially since what happened recently i don't think i'm going to contribute any code.
It's not an attack, it's speaking truthfully about the circumstance. You cannot speak credibly about how much time it takes to code one thing or another when you have never actually done such things. You frequently speak about things as if you know, when you factually do not. There is no problem being on the forums and not contributing code, but you can't tell people who actually work on and contribute code about things which you have never done.

It would be like me lecturing on how easy it is to fly an airplane when I've never even ridden on one.

So, contribute code, don't contribute code, I care neither way. But, please, don't tell others how to do something that you cannot and do not even do yourself. That's just silly.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Listen. I clearly know what i'm saying. I never told anyone to do anything. I simply said that i know it had gone faster to code the Snow in Temperate patch than it would have to recode all NewGRFs not using the correct graphics when using the Alpine Climate from OpenGFX.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:Listen. I clearly know what i'm saying. I never told anyone to do anything. I simply said that i know it had gone faster to code the Snow in Temperate patch than it would have to recode all NewGRFs not using the correct graphics when using the Alpine Climate from OpenGFX.
Again, says the person who doesn't contribute code. Not to this project, not to any project. I realize that you believe that you clearly know what you're saying, but speaking as a person who has coded and contributed code to projects, I'm agreeing with Eddi here. While you believe it's faster to add a patch, the only thing a patch will do here is make the code more bloated and create more lines of code to manage. We have a system in place that already addresses this issue quite perfectly. If you're not happy with how a particular NewGRF displays itself, you're free to write your own. Further, it's not incredibly difficult to do and you'll likely accomplish what you want faster by writing your own code via NewGRF than you will writing a patch and expecting JGR to include it.

You're also free to fork JGR into your own patch pack, provide your own patch, and prove us wrong.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

There's a difference : while JGR could allow me to fork his patchpack, not all GRFs are under a public license (some use All Rights Reserved, and others like SilverSurfer allow no modification or copy of any element whatsoever) and thus cannot be publicly released.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:There's a difference : while JGR could allow me to fork his patchpack, not all GRFs are under a public license (some use All Rights Reserved, and others like SilverSurfer allow no modification or copy of any element whatsoever) and thus cannot be publicly released.
JGR can't stop you from forking his patchpack. It's under GPL. As for NewGRFs, it doesn't matter what their license is. That has no bearing on YOU WRITING YOUR OWN CODE and doing what you want it to do. You can't copy their sprites and code, but you can can certainly create your own version with your own sprites and your own code.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you read carefully, i didn't write about the time to write the code, but to maintain the code, which is, usually, an order of magnitude more.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:There's a difference : while JGR could allow me to fork his patchpack, not all GRFs are under a public license (some use All Rights Reserved, and others like SilverSurfer allow no modification or copy of any element whatsoever) and thus cannot be publicly released.
JGR can't stop you from forking his patchpack. It's under GPL. As for NewGRFs, it doesn't matter what their license is. That has no bearing on YOU WRITING YOUR OWN CODE and doing what you want it to do. You can't copy their sprites and code, but you can can certainly create your own version with your own sprites and your own code.
I'm no moderator, but please, refrain from using capital letters. We don't want it going too far.

Sure, for NewGRFs, it is somewhat easy (depending on your NFO / NML level) for just one GRF to modify it as you want not caring about the license. Although that means keeping our activities secret : no share, and no one tells anyone.

Now, about creating my own content : sure, i could create my sprites and code. However, you should know a NewGRF has expectations from people, and will want something this specific. Yes, i could create my own sprites instead of those of SAC, as an example. But if i want my roads to have the same sprites as the ones SAC has, i don't see why the hell i would code a NewGRF and drawing sprites for it.
SimYouLater has been authorized to use sprites from UKRS. Why the hell would he create his own sprites if he wants the sprites from UKRS ?

As for Eddi : I was talking about writing the code. I do agree that maintaining it is much harder than it looks.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”