JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by MagicBuzz »

JGR wrote: 22 Jul 2021 16:48 It's not a replacement generator, it's an adjustment of the existing one. See here: https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-patches/pull/275
Oh, that explains why it doesn't works as rainfall then :D

Thank you ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i was working on alternative river generators at least twice in the past, and always arrived at the point of "well, this won't ever look right, unless we get rivers along arbitrary slopes"...
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Is there any way how to defaultly allow trees along the city roads with all types of them?
Attachments
WITHOUT PALMS
WITHOUT PALMS
kvsqKKF - Imgur.png (95.23 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
WITH PALMS
WITH PALMS
svmoinE - Imgur.png (12.22 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
bugreporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bugreporter »

Auge wrote: 21 Jul 2021 12:26 Hello
bugreporter wrote: 21 Jul 2021 01:07 how do i turn on inter-city roads and wide rivers in editor please?
Go to the settings, set the category and type selection at the top of the settings window to all and type "road" respectively "river" into the search bar below.

Tschö, Auge
i found the road option but not the river option? thank you
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

This new player/companies window is upstream thing?
I dislike lack of easy accessible "goto spectate" button.
Going spectate is frequently used function in multiplayer servers and should not be hidden.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
WalkedBy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WalkedBy »

That is fantastic patch, just fantastic!
Please keep in mind that among players who use high day length both types of players exist, ones who combine it with cargo generation factor > 0 to just slow down pace without radical gameplay changes (meh),
and others who use day length << 0 to change gameplay radically to be more realistic and immersive and hard. I'm trying to balance combined effect of these options to as small as possible value (1/100 to 1/1000) and how this changes nature of game is fashinating!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

May I request a feature, s'il vous plaît?

Would it be possible to add to the list of stations, to order list of stations by '# of trains calling at' or similar?

In case there are any doubts, I am referring to this box;

I generally play my games for years at a time (like real life years, my current dates back from Jun, 2019) as time goes by, I alter trains, delete routes, change routes etc. Sometimes this causes stations to lose a lot of trains over a large amount of time, but sometimes it is a semi-rural station so sorting by waiting cargo isn't that accurate of a measure at a quick glance to find those sorts of stations, same for rating quite often.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 19 Aug 2021 04:04 May I request a feature, s'il vous plaît?

Would it be possible to add to the list of stations, to order list of stations by '# of trains calling at' or similar?

I generally play my games for years at a time (like real life years, my current dates back from Jun, 2019) as time goes by, I alter trains, delete routes, change routes etc. Sometimes this causes stations to lose a lot of trains over a large amount of time, but sometimes it is a semi-rural station so sorting by waiting cargo isn't that accurate of a measure at a quick glance to find those sorts of stations, same for rating quite often.
This sounds like it would be useful.
The only potential issue is performance, as sorting would involve iterating all orders of all vehicles. There isn't any index of stations to individual vehicles at the moment.
I'll take a look a this.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
LoSboccacc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LoSboccacc »

hi! are you still open to feature request?

I'd like an option to turn off paying infrastructure costs for all AIs, as it allows players to generate money out of [ town cars / street traffic / city life ] AIs
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

The bug where ship graphics don't update has come back (or it never left? Either way, it's become very noticeable when I'm coding and testing my own ships)

-Tested in 0.42.3, Win 64 build
-Ships update their graphics when they turn, but not when they spin around at a dock in a tight space
-This is especially apparent with FISH hydrofoils as they will not lift up out of the water
-I've also seen ships moving sideways but this is quite rare
Attachments
A FISH hydrofoil at max speed, still displaying the sprite for when it's docked
A FISH hydrofoil at max speed, still displaying the sprite for when it's docked
hydrofoil.PNG (37.09 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Emperor Jake wrote: 28 Aug 2021 04:49 The bug where ship graphics don't update has come back (or it never left? Either way, it's become very noticeable when I'm coding and testing my own ships)

-Tested in 0.42.3, Win 64 build
-Ships update their graphics when they turn, but not when they spin around at a dock in a tight space
-This is especially apparent with FISH hydrofoils as they will not lift up out of the water
-I've also seen ships moving sideways but this is quite rare
Thanks for reporting this.
I found one issue related to ships rotating in place using the final direction instead of the current direction for the image, which was introduced in 0.41.2.
A second issue where ships did not update their image on speed changes when the sprite depended on the current speed (but not on other unpredictable variables) was introduced in 0.36.0.
These should both be fixed now and will be in the next release.
LoSboccacc wrote: 21 Aug 2021 20:21 hi! are you still open to feature request?

I'd like an option to turn off paying infrastructure costs for all AIs, as it allows players to generate money out of [ town cars / street traffic / city life ] AIs
I'll take a look into the feasibility of this in due course, thanks for the suggestion.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
WalkedBy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WalkedBy »

We've tried to balance costs with high day length, and the way it just raises running costs now is quite wrong - it creates running costs much higher than purchase. Instead of this, all payment costs better be dropped with length increase.
It's sometimes not possible with grf's because they may not cover all the cargo's.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the problem with lowering income is that 1£ is the lowest denomination of currency, you'd first have to introduce pennies.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

WalkedBy wrote: 30 Aug 2021 10:37 We've tried to balance costs with high day length, and the way it just raises running costs now is quite wrong - it creates running costs much higher than purchase. Instead of this, all payment costs better be dropped with length increase.
It's sometimes not possible with grf's because they may not cover all the cargo's.
Running costs do not change with day length.
However as the effective length of an in-game year is changed, the cost per in-game year also changes proportionally.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I have a somewhat obscure request:

Would it be possible to add a new instruction for restricted signals that prevents trains from reserving beyond them? This only became needed with the realistic braking feature because heavy trains will often reserve 2-3 signals in advance, blocking the mainline. Thnaks :)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Emperor Jake wrote: 30 Aug 2021 11:54 I have a somewhat obscure request:

Would it be possible to add a new instruction for restricted signals that prevents trains from reserving beyond them? This only became needed with the realistic braking feature because heavy trains will often reserve 2-3 signals in advance, blocking the mainline. Thnaks :)
You can use the "Wait at PBS signal" instruction for that. Despite the name, this works the same way when the train hasn't reached the signal yet, in that the train may not reserve beyond it.
You can use "Reserved tiles ahead" and/or other conditionals to control when this is applied.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, the even simpler method is to just use a "Cancel long reserve" action.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 19 Aug 2021 04:04 May I request a feature, s'il vous plaît?

This is implemented now, it'll be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
lukas737
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lukas737 »

Hi guys,
I just downloaded jgrpp 0.42.3 since I want to start a new game. Previously I played on version 0.25.x. This has been bothering me - in the old version I was used to configure simple route restrictions in some stations using PBS and the "long reserve" function and it seems to work differently now. I found out that it still worked "the old way" until 0.39.2, see picture jgrpp-0.39.2. The goal is to let the express train that doesn't stop there reserve path ahead of the station so that the slow train doesn't block the way. Since 0.40.0 it doesn't work the same anymore - see picture jgrpp-0.42.3_01 - the train that's stopping at the station performs long reserve even though it shouldn't:
0.42.3 - same setup, doesn't work as intended
0.42.3 - same setup, doesn't work as intended
jgrpp-0.42.3_01.png (197.16 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Some time in April, Valdez (viewtopic.php?p=1243322#p1243322) talks basically about the same problem and JGR mentions:
JGR wrote: 04 Apr 2021 14:23The train's "current order" is advanced as the pathfinder moves past the target.
In this case, once the pathfinder/reservation has gone past the platform, the "current order" becomes the next item in the order list, and the "last visited station" becomes Okayama.
This is the same as in vanilla and is so that PBS works reasonably when you have a junction or similar on the far side of the target station or waypoint.
The signal is green because a long reservation is being made, because "current order is not Okayama" is true. A long reserve reservation would not normally occur because the train is stopping at the station. Turning on "show path reservations" should show this. Using "last visited station" instead ought to resolve this.
OK, so the problem might be in the "current order" part. So assuming now that "the pathfinder moves past the target" actually, which - OK, makes kinda sense; I use the "last visited station" instead aaand... it still doesn't work :( See picture jgrpp-0.42.3_02.

Is this a bug? Or a feature? I am a bit confused here :lol: Any idea how to achieve the same in the newer versions? Am I missing something? I searched in changelogs but I don't see any note regarding change of this behavior anywhere.

Tested with plain jgrpp, no NewGRF, default settings.

Thanks!
Attachments
0.39.2 - works fine, express train initiating long reserve ahead
0.39.2 - works fine, express train initiating long reserve ahead
jgrpp-0.39.2.png (479.74 KiB) Viewed 984 times
0.42.3 - the same with &quot;last visited station&quot; condition instead, still doesn't work
0.42.3 - the same with "last visited station" condition instead, still doesn't work
jgrpp-0.42.3_02.png (161.98 KiB) Viewed 984 times
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

How to set the signaling so that the faster train runs faster than the slower freight?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

lukas737 wrote: 09 Sep 2021 10:05 Hi guys,
I just downloaded jgrpp 0.42.3 since I want to start a new game. Previously I played on version 0.25.x. This has been bothering me - in the old version I was used to configure simple route restrictions in some stations using PBS and the "long reserve" function and it seems to work differently now. I found out that it still worked "the old way" until 0.39.2, see picture jgrpp-0.39.2. The goal is to let the express train that doesn't stop there reserve path ahead of the station so that the slow train doesn't block the way. Since 0.40.0 it doesn't work the same anymore - see picture jgrpp-0.42.3_01 - the train that's stopping at the station performs long reserve even though it shouldn't:
jgrpp-0.42.3_01.png

Some time in April, Valdez (viewtopic.php?p=1243322#p1243322) talks basically about the same problem and JGR mentions:
JGR wrote: 04 Apr 2021 14:23The train's "current order" is advanced as the pathfinder moves past the target.
In this case, once the pathfinder/reservation has gone past the platform, the "current order" becomes the next item in the order list, and the "last visited station" becomes Okayama.
This is the same as in vanilla and is so that PBS works reasonably when you have a junction or similar on the far side of the target station or waypoint.
The signal is green because a long reservation is being made, because "current order is not Okayama" is true. A long reserve reservation would not normally occur because the train is stopping at the station. Turning on "show path reservations" should show this. Using "last visited station" instead ought to resolve this.
OK, so the problem might be in the "current order" part. So assuming now that "the pathfinder moves past the target" actually, which - OK, makes kinda sense; I use the "last visited station" instead aaand... it still doesn't work :( See picture jgrpp-0.42.3_02.

Is this a bug? Or a feature? I am a bit confused here :lol: Any idea how to achieve the same in the newer versions? Am I missing something? I searched in changelogs but I don't see any note regarding change of this behavior anywhere.

Tested with plain jgrpp, no NewGRF, default settings.

Thanks!
This is in fact a bug, the "last visited station" test should work.
The last visited station was not updated in the case where the reservation ended within the target station, so checking the next signal for any long reserve action still had the old value of the last visited station in effect.
This is fixed now and will be in the next release.

I don't see a straightforward way to work around this before the next release unfortunately. However you could use slots, which is a bit less straightforward, if you wanted to make this work.
Screenshot_2021-09-09_23-04-26.png
Screenshot_2021-09-09_23-04-26.png (139.81 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
gravelpit wrote: 09 Sep 2021 18:51 How to set the signaling so that the faster train runs faster than the slower freight?
Signalling can't make trains go any faster.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “OpenTTD Development”