JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Hyronymus »

Nice catch JGR :). Is v0.17.2 backward compatible by chance?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

andythenorth wrote:If you're using git remotes for the patchpack, you could add it from https://github.com/andythenorth/NotRoad ... tram-types ...if you're not then this doesn't help :)

NRT is 'mostly' done and has been tested. The major 'todo' items are scenario editor and gamescript (nogo) support, and obviously any bugs ;)

That said, I know nothing about custom bridgeheads, but from your previous comment, NRT might well conflict with custom bridgeheads as the road/tram bridge code has changed.
That's basically what I'm doing already. In my have home openttd repo I have remotes setup for my home git server, my github, and several other patchpacks/forks including NRT.

There will be conflicts and additional interactions with custom bridge heads but they should not be overly problematic to resolve.
This is a somewhat non-trivial area however, there were an unpleasantly high number of bugs in 0.17.0/0.17.1 related to custom bridge heads.

I'd rather wait until more of the (potential) bugs in NRT are resolved before I start looking at merging it. I have a fairly long backlog of other things to look at/consider merging in the meantime.
Finding/fixing bugs in features which I merge takes up far more time than actually doing the merge in the first place.
Hyronymus wrote:Nice catch JGR :). Is v0.17.2 backward compatible by chance?
All my patchpack releases should have backwards savegame compatibility with previous versions of my patchpack, previous versions of trunk, and previous versions of a few other things (there's a section in the first post with details on this).
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Hello!

I just compiled the current version of the Patchpack against r27747 in Xubuntu. The game appears to run fine - the only problem I see is that English(AU) and English(US) are missing a lot of text strings. English(UK) is fine. Is this unusual, or an indication that I missed a step somewhere?

-Marc
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

AntoninKyrene wrote:Hello!

I just compiled the current version of the Patchpack against r27747 in Xubuntu. The game appears to run fine - the only problem I see is that English(AU) and English(US) are missing a lot of text strings. English(UK) is fine. Is this unusual, or an indication that I missed a step somewhere?

-Marc
This is normal. Any strings which are not translated in your locale are taken from the default locale: English(UK).
In general strings not in trunk will not have translations.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

BTW, how to participate in translations? Is this project supported by https://translator.openttdcoop.org/ or similar system, or I should edit lang file manually and send it to you?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

McZapkie wrote:BTW, how to participate in translations? Is this project supported by https://translator.openttdcoop.org/ or similar system, or I should edit lang file manually and send it to you?
I don't know about JGR but personally with a Github repositry, I would personally prefer to take pull requests from there (if you know how to do it). Although, GH does make it fairly easy to understand how to do checkout/commit/pull request.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

McZapkie wrote:BTW, how to participate in translations? Is this project supported by https://translator.openttdcoop.org/ or similar system, or I should edit lang file manually and send it to you?
burty wrote:I don't know about JGR but personally with a Github repositry, I would personally prefer to take pull requests from there (if you know how to do it). Although, GH does make it fairly easy to understand how to do checkout/commit/pull request.
Pull-requests generally make life easier. I'm happy to take pull requests from git repos hosted elsewhere as well though.
There are some German and Korean translations which were contributed by Auge and Kiwitreekor respectively by pull request on github.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einsteinyh »

When Using Template Replacement with 2cc trains in NML, New template vehicle window doen't show neither power nor tractive effort of any electric locomotive. In multi-engine trains (steam/diesel and electric together) it only shows Steam/Diesel TE and HP/Kw.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Would you consider adding viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75968 in order to better simulate the difference between Coaches (Greyhound-style busses) and busses (transit)?

Thanks again for the great work!
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

SimYouLater wrote:Would you consider adding viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75968 in order to better simulate the difference between Coaches (Greyhound-style busses) and busses (transit)?
You should be able to code that in NewGRF.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kaumi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaumi »

JGR patch is lower error rate than I ever played other versions. It's good.

but, i want to build tunnels crossing water for international railroad travel. (like korea-japan, engliand-france ect.)

would you make chunnel option (as link : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41775#p763432 ) in next version?

(it's too hard for me to compile...)

thank you~
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I propose to add patch for money transfer via company instead of player: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63899

This patch is very useful in case of infrastructure sharing provided by this patch pack.
Assume, that you are using someone tracks and stations, and he have temporary money problems, but player is not online.
You cannot save other company by sending some money, nor purchase it due to high company value, as result their track and stations would gone together with your trains, important links will be broken and your company also start to sink.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Alberth wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:Would you consider adding viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75968 in order to better simulate the difference between Coaches (Greyhound-style busses) and busses (transit)?
You should be able to code that in NewGRF.
xarick wrote:I was told to make a newGRF instead to achieve the same goal, but when I was testing NARS, which implements a similar approach, but for trains, the running cost per year in the detailed train information window was oscillating between the halved value and the non-halved value. Even if the running cost per year is based on the "current running cost", it's still quite misleading. If, for instance, the train is stopped inside a train depot, this "current running cost" is not 0. I'm also not sure if newGRFs can differentiate between standard and drive through road stations. Probably they could, but I'm not motivated enough to make a newGRF at the moment.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

einsteinyh wrote:When Using Template Replacement with 2cc trains in NML, New template vehicle window doen't show neither power nor tractive effort of any electric locomotive. In multi-engine trains (steam/diesel and electric together) it only shows Steam/Diesel TE and HP/Kw.
Thanks for reporting this, I've put in a change to address this which will be in the next release.

This seems a bit arbitrary to me, why should drive-in stops have this particular advantage?
Also, as stated above this can be done to some extent using the NewGRF interface.
kaumi wrote:JGR patch is lower error rate than I ever played other versions. It's good.

but, i want to build tunnels crossing water for international railroad travel. (like korea-japan, engliand-france ect.)

would you make chunnel option (as link : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41775#p763432 ) in next version?

(it's too hard for me to compile...)

thank you~
There's been a recent update to this patch which (claims to) address some of the earlier issues. I will take another look at it and see how things stand as time permits.
McZapkie wrote:I propose to add patch for money transfer via company instead of player: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63899

This patch is very useful in case of infrastructure sharing provided by this patch pack.
Assume, that you are using someone tracks and stations, and he have temporary money problems, but player is not online.
You cannot save other company by sending some money, nor purchase it due to high company value, as result their track and stations would gone together with your trains, important links will be broken and your company also start to sink.
It seems a quite reasonable change, I'll take a look at it.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

JGR wrote:

This seems a bit arbitrary to me, why should drive-in stops have this particular advantage?
Also, as stated above this can be done to some extent using the NewGRF interface.
As stated above it doesn't work properly when you do it with a NewGRF. What if the patch can be toggled on and off then?
Licenses for my work...
HackaLittleBit
Director
Director

Post by HackaLittleBit »

JGR wrote: There's been a recent update to this patch which (claims to) address some of the earlier issues. I will take another look at it and see how things stand as time permits.
I am just now downloading your work.
As long as you did not use m2 in tunnels there shold be no problems with my patch.

EDIT: You did't so, attachment is chunnel patch that applies to your current revision.(Only tunnel part)

Regards and thanks.
Attachments
jgr_chunnel.zip
(13.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Here's one that actually makes sense, provided it has no bugs.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75982

A patch which makes longer trains have higher running costs, provided a car in the train has no specified running cost.

Is this suitable?
Licenses for my work...
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
SimYouLater wrote:Here's one that actually makes sense

A patch which makes longer trains have higher running costs, provided a car in the train has no specified running cost.
If one wants to have vehicles with running costs, one should use a vehicle set, that provides vehicles with running costs. IMHO it's needless to do it with a patch.

Tschö, Auge
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Auge wrote:Hello
SimYouLater wrote:Here's one that actually makes sense

If one wants to have vehicles with running costs, one should use a vehicle set, that provides vehicles with running costs. IMHO it's needless to do it with a patch.

Tschö, Auge
Sometimes the NewGRF you want to use, whether you want it because of aesthetics or region theme, doesn't fit that requirement. It's easier to provide a toggleable feature to automatically apply it than to convince a NewGRF creator to add the feature by hand. Especially if said set is no longer being actively developed, or worse, the creator is gone. Also, some sets have licenses which don't even allow you to create a fork with running costs.
Licenses for my work...
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

HackaLittleBit wrote:I am just now downloading your work.
As long as you did not use m2 in tunnels there shold be no problems with my patch.

EDIT: You did't so, attachment is chunnel patch that applies to your current revision.(Only tunnel part)

Regards and thanks.
Thanks for this.

Reading through it, it looks very reasonable.

One thing which I have some slight concern with though is the hard limit of 64k tunnels.
Given the extra-large maps patch it does not seem inconceivable that that could be exceeded.

Having IsTunnelInWay be O(N) in the total number of tunnels seems potentially problematic, but that could be a non-issue in practice.
SimYouLater wrote:Sometimes the NewGRF you want to use, whether you want it because of aesthetics or region theme, doesn't fit that requirement. It's easier to provide a toggleable feature to automatically apply it than to convince a NewGRF creator to add the feature by hand. Especially if said set is no longer being actively developed, or worse, the creator is gone. Also, some sets have licenses which don't even allow you to create a fork with running costs.
It may be easier for you, but additional patches and settings just move the cost/effort onto me.
The benefit/cost ratio of this sort of niche feature looks poor to me.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “OpenTTD Development”