JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Captain Rand »

Kruemelchen wrote: 25 Jul 2020 00:30 .....
I'll be setting up a Linux machine soon. I'll try it then. Thanks!

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Kruemelchen wrote: 25 Jul 2020 00:30
Captain Rand wrote: 24 Jul 2020 20:36 Is this all the code needed to compile JGRPP in Linux?
Is anything else needed?
Compiling should be the same as regular OTTD. So here are the packages you need. They are all in the repository and can be installed automatically.

After dependencies are installed, you can simply compile it with:
cd path/of/the/unzipped/directory
./configure
make
sudo make install

(though I always run a "make bundle" and then just run the game from there)
That wiki page and this list of commands are out of date.
Upstream OpenTTD (and consequently, this branch) has moved to CMake.

I'd suggest following this document: https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... MPILING.md
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

JGR wrote: 25 Jul 2020 11:09

I'd suggest following this document: https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... MPILING.md
Thanks. I think. I've looked at your link, and quite honestly don't know where to begin.
I have ZERO experience with C++
I've never compiled anything before - don't know where to start - don't know what to use.
I've never used the shell in Linux.

Kruemelchens instructions looked simple. Yours, I'm afraid, do not.
So. bearing in mind I haven't yet installed Linux, so I can't look myself (I'll be going with a flavour of Ubuntu), do you know if all of the following (from your document) are available in the repository?

zlib: (de)compressing of old (0.3.0-1.0.5) savegames, content downloads, heightmaps
liblzo2: (de)compressing of old (pre 0.3.0) savegames
liblzma: (de)compressing of savegames (1.1.0 and later)
libpng: making screenshots and loading heightmaps
libfreetype: loading generic fonts and rendering them
libfontconfig: searching for fonts, resolving font names to actual fonts
libicu: handling of right-to-left scripts (e.g. Arabic and Persian) and natural sorting of strings (Linux only)
libSDL2: hardware access (video, sound, mouse) (not required for Windows or macOS)

And, is this the complete set of instructions for compiling:-

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

Because it doesn't look like it. How does it know what to compile?

Also, what compiler (from the repository) should I use? And how?
I really would like to learn how to do this myself, but need a head start. I really don't know where to begin.
I just need a clear, simple, up to date, step by step, set of instructions.

Pete.

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Captain Rand wrote: 25 Jul 2020 20:11
JGR wrote: 25 Jul 2020 11:09

Thanks. I think. I've looked at your link, and quite honestly don't know where to begin.
I have ZERO experience with C++
I've never compiled anything before - don't know where to start - don't know what to use.
I've never used the shell in Linux.

Kruemelchens instructions looked simple. Yours, I'm afraid, do not.
So. bearing in mind I haven't yet installed Linux, so I can't look myself (I'll be going with a flavour of Ubuntu), do you know if all of the following (from your document) are available in the repository?

zlib: (de)compressing of old (0.3.0-1.0.5) savegames, content downloads, heightmaps
liblzo2: (de)compressing of old (pre 0.3.0) savegames
liblzma: (de)compressing of savegames (1.1.0 and later)
libpng: making screenshots and loading heightmaps
libfreetype: loading generic fonts and rendering them
libfontconfig: searching for fonts, resolving font names to actual fonts
libicu: handling of right-to-left scripts (e.g. Arabic and Persian) and natural sorting of strings (Linux only)
libSDL2: hardware access (video, sound, mouse) (not required for Windows or macOS)

And, is this the complete set of instructions for compiling:-

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

Because it doesn't look like it. How does it know what to compile?

Also, what compiler (from the repository) should I use? And how?
I really would like to learn how to do this myself, but need a head start. I really don't know where to begin.
I just need a clear, simple, up to date, step by step, set of instructions.

Pete.
Try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake git
sudo apt-get build-dep openttd
git clone https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-patches.git jgrpp
cd jgrpp
git checkout jgrpp-0.35.1
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
./openttd
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

JGR wrote: 25 Jul 2020 11:09 That wiki page and this list of commands are out of date.
Thank you!
And I sillily thought it was a bug with version 35.0 that I cannot compile it anymore! :lol:

Anyways, it compiled like a charm with cmake. But is there a way to make a bundle, or has this been removed? (sorry to ask this unrelated question)
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

JGR wrote: 25 Jul 2020 22:28 ......
Thanks. I'm hopefully setting up my Linux machine in the next few days and will try then.
I even think I understand what parts of the code actually do, which is great. It's a jumping off point to learning more (always helps when you have a context).
Kruemelchen wrote: 25 Jul 2020 23:25 .....sillily.....
I'll be adding this to my vocabulary. :D
Kruemelchen wrote: 25 Jul 2020 23:25 ..... But is there a way to make a bundle.......
Bundle?

Pete.

ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

You don't need to do make bundle anymore: the build directory is the complete bundle. (Unless you want to build macOS .app, which I am not sure how to do other than make package and extract that from .dmg generated)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

ino wrote: 26 Jul 2020 07:14 You don't need to do make bundle anymore: the build directory is the complete bundle. (Unless you want to build macOS .app, which I am not sure how to do other than make package and extract that from .dmg generated)
Thank you for the clarification! Now I see it. I think the cmake files in the build directory did confuse me. I'll wrap my mind around it :)
Captain Rand wrote: 26 Jul 2020 06:07 I'll be adding this to my vocabulary. :D
It's been a pleasure :D
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Kruemelchen wrote: 25 Jul 2020 23:25 But is there a way to make a bundle, or has this been removed? (sorry to ask this unrelated question)
No problem.
Running `cpack` after building should generate a bundle zip.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
d0mi3l
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d0mi3l »

I have problem with language options. New version of your pack (35.1) has fewer languages to choose.
Attachments
OTTD 35.1 vs 35.0.jpg
(457.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

d0mi3l wrote: 28 Jul 2020 15:39 I have problem with language options. New version of your pack (35.1) has fewer languages to choose.
Looks like another CMake issue. Try the attached language files instead (replace your existing language files with the ones in the zip).
This will be resolved in the next release.
Attachments
jgrpp-0.35.1-lang.zip
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

d0mi3l wrote: 28 Jul 2020 15:39 I have problem with language options. New version of your pack (35.1) has fewer languages to choose.
With Visual Studio I have this issue times to time when "Build all".

If I use "Clean up" then "Rebuild All" this works again.
d0mi3l
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d0mi3l »

JGR :bow:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Found a bug with the "load/unload by cargo type" menu. if you are using a GRF with a large amount of cargos, the list goes off the bottom of the screen and you can't select the ones at the bottom. See screen shot, there is one more cargo off the bottom. (ignore the the undefined strings, this is a bug with another GRF).
Attachments
Arctic Trucks, 24th Apr 1881.png
(169.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Diesel Power wrote: 08 Aug 2020 22:34 Found a bug with the "load/unload by cargo type" menu. if you are using a GRF with a large amount of cargos, the list goes off the bottom of the screen and you can't select the ones at the bottom. See screen shot, there is one more cargo off the bottom. (ignore the the undefined strings, this is a bug with another GRF).
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll see what I can do.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
mrbeanisgood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrbeanisgood »

Is it possible to add this patch to my install of the pack? I have never attempted adding patches, compiling before. It would be super helpful to have this as I am trying to recreate the UK as accurately as possible and regular town generation doesn't give the "neighborhoods" of similar buildings look that I want to achieve.

viewtopic.php?t=68894

Thanks for any help!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

mrbeanisgood wrote: 15 Aug 2020 18:03 Is it possible to add this patch to my install of the pack? I have never attempted adding patches, compiling before. It would be super helpful to have this as I am trying to recreate the UK as accurately as possible and regular town generation doesn't give the "neighborhoods" of similar buildings look that I want to achieve.

viewtopic.php?t=68894

Thanks for any help!
This patch is already available in JGR Patch Pack. You have to use it from the Scenario Editor.
mrbeanisgood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrbeanisgood »

kamnet wrote: 15 Aug 2020 23:30
mrbeanisgood wrote: 15 Aug 2020 18:03 Is it possible to add this patch to my install of the pack? I have never attempted adding patches, compiling before. It would be super helpful to have this as I am trying to recreate the UK as accurately as possible and regular town generation doesn't give the "neighborhoods" of similar buildings look that I want to achieve.

viewtopic.php?t=68894

Thanks for any help!
This patch is already available in JGR Patch Pack. You have to use it from the Scenario Editor.
I realize that now. Now my issue is with zoning/era restrictions. I think I may just give up and try to find object sets that have houses in them as I don't care about passenger generation for what I am doing.

Basically all I need are object sets that can be placed through the landscape menu or a way to place buildings from sets such as total town renewal as though they were objects. I don't need the population, I just can't find a method of overcoming the restrictions nor have I found any houses as objects besides Auz houses
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

mrbeanisgood wrote: 16 Aug 2020 00:20 I realize that now. Now my issue is with zoning/era restrictions. I think I may just give up and try to find object sets that have houses in them as I don't care about passenger generation for what I am doing.

Basically all I need are object sets that can be placed through the landscape menu or a way to place buildings from sets such as total town renewal as though they were objects. I don't need the population, I just can't find a method of overcoming the restrictions nor have I found any houses as objects besides Auz houses
Settings for turning off house zoning and other such restrictions have been added recently, they will be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Timetable based separation suggestion

posting this here because the original patch thread seems to be dead.
i would love it if there was a setting in the timetable based separation that basically ignores the wait time if the load is 100%.

so a vehicle that should be waiting at a stop because its caught up with the one in front will go anyway if its full but will then wait at the next stop (unless its also full there)
and a vehicle that is half way through its separation wait will automatically leave as soon as its full too

Return to “OpenTTD Development”