JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by JGR »

Doorslammer wrote:Loving the patch pack, absolutely thrilling to have network sharing back again.

Quick question though. Is there any plans to have an option to disable the Income/Transfer/Loss figures that rise from the trains as they finish unloading. It seems that when there is enough vehicles on screen to do so, it does cause a monumental slowdown on the system.
Approximately how many vehicles do you have unloading/receiving income on screen at once?
Which platform are you running on?
Text effects should not cause that much of a problem.
Adding a setting to turn them off is not technically difficult, if it is overly slow on some systems/circumstances, but ought not to be necessary really.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

JGR wrote:Approximately how many vehicles do you have unloading/receiving income on screen at once?
In vanilla, when I play at 2x UI zoom, vehicle payment animated texts cause a noticeable lag sometimes.

Or they're a symptom of something else lagging, not the cause.

Or it's just a coincidence.

But eh. Empiricism :P
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I generally have about 15 (sometimes 60) vehicles at the same time loading/unloading in some areas, and i never lagged out because of the income...
ecolortest
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ecolortest »

JGR wrote:
ecolortest wrote:Crash in wine

ERROR>fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
ERROR>err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x5f4d6f

so how to fix it?

My device is mac book pro earlly 2011 13-inch
Version macos High sierra Version 10.13.4
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8gb 1600 mhz ddr3
grphics Intel hd Graphics 3000 512 MB
Can you post the crash.log file?
Redirect Left wrote:another suggestion i realised would be quite handy playing today;
As you know, if you click a train, it will give a quick GUI overview of where it calls, with little numbers over all its stops.

Is it possible, that when you click on a station, it gives a similar overview, but for all trains that call there - this would quickly help me identify where this station has direct links to, and spot any missing useful links for passengers to get to and from there.
Isn't this more or less what the cargo dest link graph overlay does?
The departure boards can also be quite useful here.
My todo list is currently very long, so developing this sort of feature is not likely to occur soon.
If you/someone else can develop a reasonable quality patch to implement it that may be a more pragmatic way to go.
the game dint make a crash.log
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote:another suggestion i realised would be quite handy playing today;
As you know, if you click a train, it will give a quick GUI overview of where it calls, with little numbers over all its stops.

Is it possible, that when you click on a station, it gives a similar overview, but for all trains that call there - this would quickly help me identify where this station has direct links to, and spot any missing useful links for passengers to get to and from there.
uhm, that button already exists? at every station at the lower right you have little icons that open a list of all vehicles of that type that stop there (this has been in the game for years now)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote:
Redirect Left wrote: [...] Is it possible, that when you click on a station, it gives a similar overview, but for all trains that call there - this would quickly help me identify where this station has direct links to, and spot any missing useful links for passengers to get to and from there.
uhm, that button already exists? at every station at the lower right you have little icons that open a list of all vehicles of that type that stop there (this has been in the game for years now)
viewtopic.php?p=1206213#p1206213

regards
Michael
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote:

That isn't a quick overview of everything, and exactly which trains stop where, without clicking on each one. It's merely a list of all the trains that stop there, not the stations accessible directly from the station you clicked on.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ok, i see the difference, but that seems a very specfic usecase for yourself, it might be problematic to integrate that without overloading the GUI.

also, if you have Cargodist enabled, you can switch the cargo view into "next hop" mode, and it will list you all the directly accessible stations for outgoing cargo (either currently waiting or planned)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote: also, if you have Cargodist enabled,
I do not use Cargodist - I found it had a negative impact on CPU usage.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
vazoun51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vazoun51 »

Maybe I've found a small bug. Autoseparation doesn't work when vehicles have go through order in their list and autotimetabling is toggled on. Timetable is said to be incomplete although it doesn't seem like. My trams use dummy stations to find the right way but this prevents me from using said options. Could it be missing wait time at the go through station what makes timetable incomplete?
Attachments
Autoseparation bug.sav
(9.46 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

vazoun51 wrote:Maybe I've found a small bug. Autoseparation doesn't work when vehicles have go through order in their list and autotimetabling is toggled on. Timetable is said to be incomplete although it doesn't seem like. My trams use dummy stations to find the right way but this prevents me from using said options. Could it be missing wait time at the go through station what makes timetable incomplete?
Thanks for letting me know, I've added a fix which will be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

andythenorth wrote:
JGR wrote:Approximately how many vehicles do you have unloading/receiving income on screen at once?
In vanilla, when I play at 2x UI zoom, vehicle payment animated texts cause a noticeable lag sometimes.

Or they're a symptom of something else lagging, not the cause.

Or it's just a coincidence.

But eh. Empiricism :P
acs121 wrote:I generally have about 15 (sometimes 60) vehicles at the same time loading/unloading in some areas, and i never lagged out because of the income...
If I were to add a setting/toggle/transparency option/etc. for this, are there any suggestions for where it ought to go in the UI?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote:
Eddi wrote: also, if you have Cargodist enabled,
I do not use Cargodist - I found it had a negative impact on CPU usage.
i have some vague memory that the linkgraph is also built up if cargodist is disabled, so this could be an angle to display the information you seek
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

JGR wrote:If I were to add a setting/toggle/transparency option/etc. for this, are there any suggestions for where it ought to go in the UI?
In my opinion such a setting should be placed next to the one that toggle on/off the loading indicator on vehicles

So that s in Interface/View
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

JGR wrote:
ino wrote:Now, I just realised this feature was added in trunk, and I am unable to figure out what it is so please JGR enlighten me. What is "through-load" ?
Really this needs an explanatory GIF. I will look into making one next week perhaps.
In short it's a different way of handling load/unload of long freight trains in short through platforms.
In my opinion it's more realistic and useful than the default behaviour.

You can try it out by turning on the advanced loading mode features setting. It adds an extra platform stop location/mode for freight trains.
I've attached an example gif which shows the feature in use.
Attachments
through-load.gif
through-load.gif (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3117 times
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

How would this work in a terminus station?
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

KeldorKatarn wrote:How would this work in a terminus station?
It actually works as you might expect. The terminus need an overhanging track for train to through-load, and once it's completed, the train would just reverse and go out of the station.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

What if there is no such track?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

KeldorKatarn wrote:What if there is no such track?
Load/unload is aborted and the train switches to the next order if it is not possible to advance due to a lack of track, or if the train enters a depot.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

JGR, is there still any chance of large depots being added?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”