Does anybody else find the new font bad?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Domsy_Womsy
Engineer
Engineer

Does anybody else find the new font bad?

Post by Domsy_Womsy »

Hi I am from Australia, and I think the new font in the beta releases really loses the sleekness and modernity of Version 13. I feel like it clutters the screen a lot and gets in the way. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place so if this is the wrong area please let me know. Maybe the font change is temporary but it honestly looks TERRIBLE and I really dislike it. I feel like the game is taking a huge step in the wrong direction here, please fix it. Thank you for your consideration! :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-01 113530.png
Soooo cluttery
(903.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot 2024-04-01 113617d.png
same here, I feel like this is such a step back
(3.37 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: Does anybody else find the new font bad?

Post by kamnet »

I don't think I can agree with that. Now, granted I don't play on modern high-resolution screens (all mine are 15-20 years old) but other than slightly more clean and clear compared to the default font, I don't see a huge improvement, but I'm told that players with higher DPI screens have seen much better scaling compared to the old.

In any case, if you don't like the included font, you can always set whatever font you desire by using the console or editing the openttd.cfg file directly.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Don't use it then?
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Are you comparing it with the sprite font? Because I don't see how "sleekness" and "modernity" can be applied to an ancient pixelated font.

But if you were using some other custom font in 13.0 sure, it may look better, especially since you're used to it. I myself am using DejaVU sans and won't be changing to the new font.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

There's a button in Options->Graphics to use the sprite font. No need to touch the console or config file. :wink:

https://www.openttd.org/static/img/post ... toggle.gif
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

There's also someone working on a feature for selecting any font within the game GUI, but it probably won't be in a release version until version 15.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The custom font does not have any hinting so at various sizes, especially smaller sizes between 1x and 2x (non-inclusive), it can be a bit blurry.

Not sure if hinting will be added to the fonts, as I understand it it is a pretty big task.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

2TallTyler wrote: 01 Apr 2024 13:46 There's a button in Options->Graphics to use the sprite font. No need to touch the console or config file. :wink:

https://www.openttd.org/static/img/post ... toggle.gif
That. One can just revert to the old font. I'd have to partly agree with the OP though. In the images he posted, the font seems a bit intense, attracting attention from the rest of the image. It seems a bit "too bold".
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”