Translating company manager surnames / company names

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Translating company manager surnames / company names

Post by GunChleoc »

Is it possible for translators to provide a list of localised company manager surnames / company names?

The only info I could find on the subject is this: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Te ... 000_-_E7FF
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Translating company manager surnames / company names

Post by frosch »

Nope, it's not possible to change them. They are in the source.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

is there a specific reason they cannot be localised (sources can be changed as was done to allow other translations?)
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

You cannot just put the names into the translation system: Every client would translate them using the local language, and the companies and managers would have different names on different clients, which would be confusing.

One can imagine multiple ways to solve this:
  • Make the client which starts a company generate the names using its language (i.e. the names would come from the lang files), and transfer the name as raw text to the server and all clients. (must be raw, because not every client has every language pack)
  • Extent the NewGRF TownName mechanism to also allow supplying company/manager names. This would allow setting up a game-specific name-schema for all clients, i.e. when playing on a map with Latin town names, you could also add Latin company/president names ("Curri Carri Caii" :p)
These two options already give you a hard design decision between making names depend on players or depend on game setup.

Personally I would prefer game-specific names like town names. I guess people who would prefer more player-specific names, would also rather want to set up their personal company/president name and face and make them the same for all games. But well... this would result in three player-specific names (company name, manager name, player/client name). So likely only stuff for competitive try-hards :p

Anyway, all of that is likely quite a lot of work for a questionable benefit. How often do you look at your company name or even manager name?

Edit: Oh, and don't forget AIs in the equation :p I believe most of them come with a custom not-translatable list of of company/manager names.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

frosch wrote:How often do you look at your company name [...]?
every time i save or load a game.

Anyway, i think the original Transport Tycoon had localised company names, while Transport Tycoon Deluxe had unified ones.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Ah true, I guess I just hit enter or click the top one :p

Return to “OpenTTD Development”