Musings on 'snow in temperate'

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Musings on 'snow in temperate'

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

SwissFan91: It was a brief reference to something that used to run in 'MiniIN', which is no longer going (as of some time). It was called 'Snow in Temperate' by Richk67 I believe. The 2nd one, with multiple scenarios in one scene was also possibly being worked on by Richk67, although could well be mistaken there(?), and again I last heard of it some time ago. Google isn't working with me on this one. I don't mean to tangent off here; it was more just looking at other visual development in the past which was along a similar vein of awesomeness. Greater environmental extremes, encouraged by this patch, make for greater appeal in them I feel.
Last edited by planetmaker on 10 Oct 2012 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: as OT split off from http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40844&start=900
Ben
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: More height levels

Post by michael blunck »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:SwissFan91: It was a brief reference to something that used to run in 'MiniIN', which is no longer going (as of some time). It was called 'Snow in Temperate' by Richk67 I believe.
Yeah, Richk67´s "snow in temperate" was using the AlpineClimate snow sprites. I don´t think that "snow in temperate" is possible in current OpenTTD trunk, but it was in TTDPatch. Although AlpineClimate was actually arctic, because of the more mountainous landscape there.

regards
Michael
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Snow in temperate should be trivial to do, grf would replace brown arctic tiles by temperate ones, maybe also replace industries by temperate ones.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[OT]
Kogut wrote: Snow in temperate should be trivial to do, grf would replace brown arctic tiles by temperate ones, maybe also replace industries by temperate ones.
That´s exactly what AlpineClimate does - but that´s not "snow in temperate".

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

but because "temperate grass in arctic" is trivially possible by loading a newgrf, "snow in temperate" is effectively a rejected feature.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[OT]
Eddi wrote:but because "temperate grass in arctic" is trivially possible by loading a newgrf, "snow in temperate" is effectively a rejected feature.
There´s not only the grass tiles needed. And you often reported yourself this as a problem.

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ok, i reported lots of things that are "wrong" with alpine GRF in the past, and i probably don't remember all of them. but many of those things would apply in reverse to "snow in temperate"

but this leads kinda far from the topic.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[OT]
Eddi wrote: [...] but many of those things would apply in reverse to "snow in temperate"
I don´t think so. There´s a fundamental difference between "snow in temperate" (adding a snow line mechanism by the game for the temperate climate) and "temperate grass in arctic" (only exchanging graphics sprites, but keeping the arctic climate with all its features).
Eddi wrote: but this leads kinda far from the topic.
Hence the label provided.

regards
Michael
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Musings on 'snow in temperate'

Post by Terkhen »

I think that "Snow in temperate" should be possible already in OpenTTD. You just need to get some NewGRFs.
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape allows you to select "alpine" for subarctic, which gives you grass and snow for the terrain.
  • OpenGFX+ Industries can be used to select any combination of standard industries in any climate except Toyland. Therefore, it can be used to mimic the temperate industries, as long as you add a food providing industry chain too.
  • Since this NewGRF selection needs to use subarctic and it alters the available cargos, you will also need to get some vehicle NewGRFs that support all default cargos. If you want to keep things as close to the default temperate as possible, you can stick to other OpenGFX+ vehicle NewGRFs, although ships and aircraft are missing an OpenGFX+ set.
If you don't want the food cargo, things get more complicated. In this case you would need a NewGRF and a Goal Script that to my knowledge don't exist, but they should be doable.
  • A house NewGRF that changes house acceptance to remove the Food cargo from them.
  • A goal script that mimics the default town growth mechanism, avoiding the Food requirement.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Terkhen wrote: I think that "Snow in temperate" should be possible already in OpenTTD. [...]
Well, just use "AlpineClimate" (available since 2006) which addresses all items in your list.

Nevertheless, this approach has some known shortcomings, e.g. that you can´t add a custom industry set.

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote:
Terkhen wrote: I think that "Snow in temperate" should be possible already in OpenTTD. [...]
Well, just use "AlpineClimate" (available since 2006) which addresses all items in your list.

Nevertheless, this approach has some known shortcomings, e.g. that you can´t add a custom industry set.
It fails hard to provide decent snowy houses unless you use the commercial base set. Thus I only recommend it to TTDPatch users.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: It fails hard to provide decent snowy houses unless you use the commercial base set. Thus I only recommend it to TTDPatch users.
That "commercial base set" (aka original TTD graphics) is also available to OTTD users. No reason to settle for a lower quality substitute.

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote:
planetmaker wrote: It fails hard to provide decent snowy houses unless you use the commercial base set. Thus I only recommend it to TTDPatch users.
That "commercial base set" (aka original TTD graphics) is also available to OTTD users. No reason to settle for a lower quality substitute.
Nor for the very inadequate user support of your sets where installation requires fiddling on system-level of both, base sets and newgrfs and the lack of easy, automatic updates for them ;-)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: Nor for the very inadequate user support of your sets where installation requires fiddling on system-level of both, base sets and newgrfs and the lack of easy, automatic updates for them :wink:
There are no problems. Just copy the newGRFs into OTTD´s data folder, et voilà.

But o/c, AlpineClimate is only compatible with original TTD house graphics, by supplying fitting snowy roofs for them. Not to mention that at the time of its release there was no other "non-commercial base set" available.

Anyway, it´s very easy to acquire a "commercial base set" for TTD (if you don´t want to just "download" it). With the nice side effect of a small additional benefit for the original developers. :cool:

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote:
planetmaker wrote: Nor for the very inadequate user support of your sets where installation requires fiddling on system-level of both, base sets and newgrfs and the lack of easy, automatic updates for them :wink:
It doesn't work.for me. What do I do wrong?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote:
michael blunck wrote:
It doesn't work.for me. What do I do wrong?
"newGRF-Einstellungen" -> "Hinzufügen", see screenshot.
hinzufügen.png
hinzufügen.png (19.32 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
HTH
regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote: "newGRF-Einstellungen" -> "Hinzufügen", see screenshot.
Yes, that's the NewGRF dialogue which I usually use.
I copied the file into the data folder. But it doesn't show up in that NewGRF menu as you describe. What else could it be?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote:
michael blunck wrote: "newGRF-Einstellungen" -> "Hinzufügen", see screenshot.
Yes, that's the NewGRF dialogue which I usually use.
I copied the file into the data folder. But it doesn't show up in that NewGRF menu as you describe. What else could it be?
Check your folder structure (MacOS?), ask in the problems sub-section, or contact a developer for help.

HTH
regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I'm trying to play on windows 7. I just copied the downloaded grf to the data folder as advised:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\ingo\Documents\OpenTTD> dir data
alpine.zip  opengfx  sample.cat  trg1r.grf  trgcr.grf  trghr.grf  trgir.grf  trgtr.grf
Selecting the TTD baseset works, though only after running the installer, manually copying somehow didn't work.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I always thought manually d/l'd grfs went in OpenTTD/newgrf myself, and I wasn't aware it supported grfs in non-tar compressed archives.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”