Patch reviews

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Patch reviews

Post by planetmaker »

Have you ever asked yourself how we work on our patches and discuss about them?
Do you wonder how we come to the solutions which then are finally submitted to svn?
Do you want to see how we address tasks from our bug tracker?
Or you have a patch prepared, either in our bug tracker or under discussion in this forum's development section and want to see our whole review process and maybe discuss it live?

To these questions and similar we now have an answer, we created a new patch review channel:
[url=irc://irc.oftc.net/openttd.dev]#openttd.dev[/url]

We decided to make our usual internal code discussions more public there. It may help to understand how we review and view patches and design decisions in general.
Everyone is free to join. In that channel only patch and core developers will be able to talk, though, so that the focus stays on the actual patches under review. We'll grant voice in that channel upon request to people who contribute or have proven to contribute to the actual code bases.
You'll find the logs of the channels here, so that you can also read up on what has been said.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch reviews

Post by Lord Aro »

so #openttd will now get even more off-topic ;)

either way: /me adds #openttd.dev to autostart list
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
ic111
Director
Director

Post by ic111 »

A very nice idea.

One question / suggestion: Is there any way of keeping track of what has been discussed when? Currently, there are four log pages for four days, there will quickly be some hundreds of them, and each of them contains discussions about maybe several topics.

So, assume one doesn´t read them regularly, but comes across some particular change, how can one find out if / where that change was discussed? Ok, commit dates might be a hint, but not necessarily.

Regarding the more heightlevels patch, if it makes sense from your side, I would be open for discussions in that channel, and would probably have some time for it during the next months if necessary. In other words, I have no (functional) todos left regarding it except adjusting it to changes in trunk occasionally, so from my side this is a quite finished project which may be discussed / reviewed --- or not.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

You can search all logs on coop (including #openttd.dev) by adding "site:webster.openttdcoop.org" to your google search term. I don't think it can specifically search for #openttd.dev though.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁

Return to “OpenTTD Development”