Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Hello, I am new here but I have been playing OTTD for quite some time now :-)

I love this feature!

I have a question:

Is it possible to create a template that would replace only wagons for all trains in a given group? Let's say I have a train that has an obsolete engine which is not available anymore and I want to keep that engine and just remove or add wagons according to the template. Is it possible to do that somehow?

Thank you!

Best regards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:23 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Generally good idea, to have possibility of cloning consist regardless of any vehicles accessibility.
Sometimes I need to make action similar to HapticTactic, or opposite (keep wagons, change locomotive, or just add/rearrange wagons), but it is not possible to create new template.

My experimental openTTD server: 149.156.194.203:3979 non-standard client, now testing: JGRPP http://tiny.pl/ggnch
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, preindustrial houses, wired, ECS industry extension.
Addicted to freeciv longturn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

HapticTactic wrote:
Hello, I am new here but I have been playing OTTD for quite some time now :-)

I love this feature!

I have a question:

Is it possible to create a template that would replace only wagons for all trains in a given group? Let's say I have a train that has an obsolete engine which is not available anymore and I want to keep that engine and just remove or add wagons according to the template. Is it possible to do that somehow?

Thank you!

Best regards

Hi!

that is possible, but you need to have an existing template which contains this obsolete engine.
You can always create a new template from an existing train by cloning it, so if you have some train with the old engine, you should be able to create a template containing the old engine.
You can then modify it to contain the new model wagons. Just select the template from the list and click "Delete last engine" to remove the old wagons from the template, select a new type of wagon from the engines list on the left and click "Add engine" to add it to the selected template.
With that template you can keep the old loco around.

I just tried to test it but couldn't because the old engines wouldn't expire when I cheated the date from 1900 to 2050... I tried with the default engine set and with the UKRS 2.0 train set. Do you have an example of a newgrf where the engines are set to expire?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

ffpp wrote:
You can always create a new template from an existing train by cloning it, so if you have some train with the old engine, you should be able to create a template containing the old engine.

Actually it is not possible (at least for patch version implemented in JGRPP) to make new template by cloning existing train with expired vehicles.
The question is, if it is possible to fix it, or maybe such assertion is deeply build into copy function?

My experimental openTTD server: 149.156.194.203:3979 non-standard client, now testing: JGRPP http://tiny.pl/ggnch
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, preindustrial houses, wired, ECS industry extension.
Addicted to freeciv longturn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:27 am 
Engineer
Engineer

McZapkie wrote:
ffpp wrote:

Actually it is not possible (at least for patch version implemented in JGRPP) to make new template by cloning existing train with expired vehicles.
The question is, if it is possible to fix it, or maybe such assertion is deeply build into copy function?

Ah I see, JGRPP is using an older version of the patch. I reworked a lot of things for version 2.0.0. In that version what you described works just fine.
For 2.0.0 I had made a pull request into the openttd's master branch. I am working on this integration at the moment. But I can also try to see with JGR whether an update of tbtr in his PP would be an option as well.

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

ffpp wrote:
McZapkie wrote:
ffpp wrote:

Ah I see, JGRPP is using an older version of the patch. I reworked a lot of things for version 2.0.0. In that version what you described works just fine.
For 2.0.0 I had made a pull request into the openttd's master branch. I am working on this integration at the moment. But I can also try to see with JGR whether an update of tbtr in his PP would be an option as well.

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out.

Excellent. Thank you for your time. I will try my lobbying skills with JGR to include the latest version of your patch in his pack! :-)))))