New map features

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New map features

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:
HackaLittleBit wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:How do I get this as a .diff or .patch file?
Normally on the first page the author of a patch gives instructions how to get his work.
He provides a pre-compiled windows binary and a link to a site where, if I looked hard enough, had instructions to compile a working copy of OpenTTD with his patch.

I need the .patch/.diff file itself, or I need a .patch/.diff of NotRoadTypes which only provides pre-compiled versions as well. Why do you have to make it so difficult to compile several patches into a custom build for personal use?
I hope cirdan does not mind my replying to your excellent question. I hope I get it right.

New Map Features (NMF) is no longer a patch. It is a fork off of OpenTTD that cirdan has hosted on his GitHub account. Cirdan has cleaned up (debugged) and modified much of the OTTD trunk code with the result that the current crop of patches do not work with NMF. He has merged several patches that fit his vision of the game as well as developing and adding several features of his own. The amazing thing is that he has been able to do all this while preserving NewGRF functionality.

JGR has been kind enough to take cirdan's latest source and merge a modified version of his tracerestrict patch.

TrueSatan compiles the Linux versions and I use MinGW to do the Windows binaries. My distribution is a bundle that includes cirdan's source in a {src} folder as well as a working executable ready for use by players who are not able to do their own compilations.

NoRoadType is itself a fork, probably to develope the new specs required for its implementation, and is still a work in progress by andythenorth and his team. My own wish would be that they get it done to a point where cirdan would be able to incorporate it into NMF.

I assume you are asking with respect to your American Road Replacement Set?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
HackaLittleBit wrote: Normally on the first page the author of a patch gives instructions how to get his work.
He provides a pre-compiled windows binary and a link to a site where, if I looked hard enough, had instructions to compile a working copy of OpenTTD with his patch.

I need the .patch/.diff file itself, or I need a .patch/.diff of NotRoadTypes which only provides pre-compiled versions as well. Why do you have to make it so difficult to compile several patches into a custom build for personal use?
I hope cirdan does not mind my replying to your excellent question. I hope I get it right.

New Map Features (NMF) is no longer a patch. It is a fork off of OpenTTD that cirdan has hosted on his GitHub account. Cirdan has cleaned up (debugged) and modified much of the OTTD trunk code with the result that the current crop of patches do not work with NMF. He has merged several patches that fit his vision of the game as well as developing and adding several features of his own. The amazing thing is that he has been able to do all this while preserving NewGRF functionality.

JGR has been kind enough to take cirdan's latest source and merge a modified version of his tracerestrict patch.

TrueSatan compiles the Linux versions and I use MinGW to do the Windows binaries. My distribution is a bundle that includes cirdan's source in a {src} folder as well as a working executable ready for use by players who are not able to do their own compilations.

NoRoadType is itself a fork, probably to develope the new specs required for its implementation, and is still a work in progress by andythenorth and his team. My own wish would be that they get it done to a point where cirdan would be able to incorporate it into NMF.

I assume you are asking with respect to your American Road Replacement Set?
So making a custom build with both NMF and NRT is impossible? T_T

Also, ARRS was made by someone else. I was just trying to make a personal build, but the set I was trying to develop was the "Beautifully Awesome Roads Rails & Bridges" set (BARRB).
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:So making a custom build with both NMF and NRT is impossible? T_T
Not impossible. 8) Just not yet. If cirdan decides that it fits with his fork and it is stable (completed) then maybe ...
Also, ARRS was made by someone else. I was just trying to make a personal build, but the set I was trying to develop was the "Beautifully Awesome Roads Rails & Bridges" set (BARRB).
I like BARRB, especially since OzTrans' North American Roads is no longer available. :D
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:So making a custom build with both NMF and NRT is impossible? T_T
Not impossible. 8) Just not yet. If cirdan decides that it fits with his fork and it is stable (completed) then maybe ...
I like BARRB, especially since OzTrans' North American Roads is no longer available. :D
Thanks, but BARRB hasn't actually been made yet (and probably won't be), and I think you're confusing it with Andrew350's American Road Replacement Set? ARRS was basically a replacement for NA Roads, while BARRB was trying to create glitch-free graphics for all infrastructure.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:Thanks, but BARRB hasn't actually been made yet (and probably won't be), and I think you're confusing it with Andrew350's American Road Replacement Set? ARRS was basically a replacement for NA Roads, while BARRB was trying to create glitch-free graphics for all infrastructure.
Heh! I as well think that I am confusing it. I should have said that I like your concept.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

wallyweb wrote:
Seconded.

I'd also like to see some other patches incorporated too, especially Infrastructure sharing. Maybe JGR can incorporate his patchpack.

Just imagine. NMF, NRT & JGR PP. You could call it ATTD (advanced TTD) or UTTD (Ultimate TTD).

Sigh.... I can dream can't I?

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I wouldn't say it's impossible to merge the NotRoadTypes spec into Cirdan's NMF, but it will take a strong grasp of understanding OpenTTD's source code and programming in general, and in particular understanding how Cirdan has curated it into what he wants. I can certainly say it's not easy. You're dealing with code that has existed for over a quarter of a century, and all of it that we have today is not documented from original source, but started with a largely undocumented reverse-engineered product that we've had to make assumptions about. Some of it may not be entirely understood at all.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Keep in mind friends that all this is a wish on our part. Cirdan has yet to comment on the possibilities.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

TrueSatan wrote:And Cirdan, I wonder if you have something like the not road type in your mind as well. Looks interesting that feature.
I'm watching the NotRoadTypes topic, but I'm not entirely convinced about what it does, because it locks the implementation into two road sub-modes (road and tram), even if you can have 15 types of each. As such, and considering that I try very hard to keep backwards compatibility within my branch and with openttd, I'm going to take the conservative approach and not merge it unless openttd does, so as not to get stuck with it forever.
wallyweb wrote:I hope cirdan does not mind my replying to your excellent question.
Not at all, I would not have explained it better. Just a minor precision: my fork is hosted at repo.or.cz (not GitHub).
wallyweb wrote:
If NotRoadTypes ever makes it to openttd, then I'll merge it. One of the goals of my fork is to keep it as a superset of openttd (possibly with some lag).
Captain Rand wrote:I'd also like to see some other patches incorporated too, especially Infrastructure sharing.
I welcome suggestions, but keep in mind that another of my goals is to keep my branch stable. I'm not sure how mature the infrastructure sharing patch is, but I remember that it had issues (such as what to do with trains running on tracks of a company that goes bankrupt). I don't know if these issues have been solved.
Captain Rand wrote:Maybe JGR can incorporate his patchpack.
I seem to recall his saying that he once tried to merge some of his patches into my branch and got into a huge merge-conflict mess (which doesn't surprise me, as my branch has many, many changes under the hood that don't show up as new features). If anyone wants to try to port a patch from openttd to my branch, I'd be glad to help, as time permits.
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Hey Cirdan,

nice to read from you.
And yes I remember well that you said something like that, and I think
since you made your own approach on the map array it will
be kinda hard to impossible to get the whole not road type
into your branch. So I was thinking that NRT could be an inspiration.
Not sure how well it would work with the custom bridgehead
and currently one of my favourite features, the bridges over stations :)

Lets wait and see if the feature ever reaches the main trunk.
I have my doubts that it will be in there anytime soon.

Btw. any spoiler about some new feature on your mind?

Thanks again for all your effort on NMF :bow:
And yes you too JGR because the tracerestriction feature is
something I don't want to miss ever again.

Cheers and happy programming :D
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

cirdan wrote:I welcome suggestions, but keep in mind that another of my goals is to keep my branch stable. I'm not sure how mature the infrastructure sharing patch is, but I remember that it had issues (such as what to do with trains running on tracks of a company that goes bankrupt). I don't know if these issues have been solved.
I've removed (most of) the issues and some bugs in my branch of this.
Captain Rand wrote:Maybe JGR can incorporate his patchpack.
My patchpack as a whole is not mergeable with NMF, as there is significant overlap and conflicting changes, however individual features might be portable.
cirdan wrote:I seem to recall his saying that he once tried to merge some of his patches into my branch and got into a huge merge-conflict mess (which doesn't surprise me, as my branch has many, many changes under the hood that don't show up as new features). If anyone wants to try to port a patch from openttd to my branch, I'd be glad to help, as time permits.
I ran into these when porting some of the tracerestrict features (PBS entry signal conditional, through and long reserve), in the end I left them out. There were pathfinder changes which made merging them problematic.
I haven't really looked at porting any other features.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

TrueSatan wrote:Btw. any spoiler about some new feature on your mind?
I have a large backlog of these, as long as they are only in my mind. I keep a list of features, suggestions, ideas and generally anything that I think it would be nice to have, and it gets new items faster than I can deal with them...
JGR wrote:
cirdan wrote:I'm not sure how mature the infrastructure sharing patch is, but I remember that it had issues (such as what to do with trains running on tracks of a company that goes bankrupt). I don't know if these issues have been solved.
I've removed (most of) the issues and some bugs in my branch of this.
Thanks for the information. I'll try to take a look.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

I have ported JGR's infrastructure sharing patch to my branch, for those interested; check the attached diff. While porting was fairly straightforward, as the code was very clear, there is always the possibility that I mismerged something or there was a conflict that did not show up, so use with care. I have done some basic testing myself, but not too much.

Savegames made with this patch will not load in my unpatched branch, although the other way around should work fine. I intend to keep it like this as this patch is rebased against my moving branch. This also means that there is new saveload code in the patch, and we already had a nasty bug with this some time ago, so be extra careful at first and check that your savegames work until we can be confident that everything is running smoothly.

The patch should apply cleanly against the current tip of my master branch. Please note that the patch is huge, because it also contains a lot of unrelated changes that have gone into my local branch over the last two months and will eventually be pushed to my public branch. This does not mean that I plan to merge infrastructure sharing into my main branch. Rather, I am thinking of keeping some sort of experimental side branch with features that are floating around and would be nice to have but still have unresolved issues (in the case of infrastructure sharing, payment of routes with transfers). Additionally, this side branch could serve as a staging area for patches that I do intend to merge eventually, but not everything in this branch will make it to the master branch.

As always, any feedback is welcome.
Attachments
infrashare.diff
(863.9 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Thanks Cirdan, I will compile a version this weekend.
Nothing I need, because I mainly play without competitors.

As promised here is the infrastructure Ubuntu 14.04 64bit version.
Attachments
openttd-custom-g174edb7aM-UNIX.tar.xz
Infrastructur based on Cirdan NMF g174edb7a
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:I have ported JGR's infrastructure sharing patch to my branch, for those interested; check the attached diff. While porting was fairly straightforward, as the code was very clear, there is always the possibility that I mismerged something or there was a conflict that did not show up, so use with care. I have done some basic testing myself, but not too much.
wallyweb's compiler MinGW wrote:C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/fttd/src/bootstrap_gui.cpp:19:18: fatal error: font.h: No such file or directory
#include "font.h"
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Sorry about that. The diff I posted is a git diff with rename detection, which is what git generates by default, but not every patch program out there can handle such a diff. The new diff below should work.
Attachments
infrashare.diff
(878.76 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:The new diff below should work.
:bow:
Here is the unguaranteed Windows 32bit binary:
OpenTTD-NMF_infrashare-g174edb7aM-Win32.7z
(5.49 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
The JGR tracerestrict version will be added shortly.

Enjoy. :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

wallyweb wrote:The JGR tracerestrict version will be added shortly.
... or maybe not ...
wallyweb's compiler MinGW wrote:[SRC] Compiling misc_gui.cpp
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Adminguy/___0compiler/OpenTTD-patches-3837e961/src/misc_gui.cpp: In member function 'virtual void LandInfoWindow::OnInit()':
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Adminguy/___0compiler/OpenTTD-patches-3837e961/src/misc_gui.cpp:182:27: error: invalid types 'uint64 {aka long long unsigned int}[int]' for array subscript
SetDParam(0, td.dparam[0]);
^
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Adminguy/___0compiler/OpenTTD-patches-3837e961/src/misc_gui.cpp:183:27: error: invalid types 'uint64 {aka long long unsigned int}[int]' for array subscript
SetDParam(1, td.dparam[1]);
^
make[1]: *** [misc_gui.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/Adminguy/___0compiler/OpenTTD-patches-3837e961/objs/release'
make: *** [all] Error 1
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

wallyweb wrote:
wallyweb wrote:The JGR tracerestrict version will be added shortly.
... or maybe not ...
I'll try to look into this.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”