New map features

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New map features

Post by Supercheese »

Here's an updated win32 package. Same as before, applied the nma-r24984.diff and compiled without music support and increased Newgrf limit.
Attachments
openttd-newmapfeatures-r24984-win32.7z
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

cirdan wrote:
maquinista wrote:Maybe I have found a bug. I had this crash thrice, It's when the orange train tries to cross the signal.
Wow, I am getting more bug reports this week than in a whole year (which is fine: if there are bugs, I want them fixed).
maquinista wrote:I have four files (crash.dmp, crash.log, crash.png and crash.sav). If You want, I can post them here.
If you can reliably reproduce the crash, it would be best if you could post a savegame from before the crash.
I hope that this could be useful. This patch is very interesting, I have attached two examples of usage.

NOTE: the file is here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1066000
Attachments
AI built their tracks very near. A custom bridge head allow to avoid the sharp turn.
AI built their tracks very near. A custom bridge head allow to avoid the sharp turn.
Luwood Transport, 19º Abr 2022_b.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
The bridge now has a connection with two streets.
The bridge now has a connection with two streets.
Luwood Transport, 18º May 2022_b.png (21.61 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
Last edited by maquinista on 13 Feb 2013 03:12, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Supercheese wrote:Here's an updated win32 package. Same as before, applied the nma-r24984.diff and compiled without music support and increased Newgrf limit.
Thank you--your help is certainly allowing wider testing.
maquinista wrote:I have four files (crash.dmp, crash.log, crash.png and crash.sav). If You want, I can post them here.
Unfortunately, I have no way of uncompressing a .rar archive. Could you (or anybody else) post its contents in another format? Better yet, could you post a savegame from before the crash (it is easier to debug)?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I got an assert when trying to place tram tracks on a bridge, I took a screencap of the crash to illustrate.
I could also provide the savegame via PM, if needed, but the assert can easily be replicated simply by starting a new game, building a road bridge, and attempting to add tram tracks.
Attachments
Assert.png
Assert.png (74.31 KiB) Viewed 6906 times

cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Supercheese wrote:I got an assert when trying to place tram tracks on a bridge, I took a screencap of the crash to illustrate.
I could also provide the savegame via PM, if needed, but the assert can easily be replicated simply by starting a new game, building a road bridge, and attempting to add tram tracks.
Argh, yes, there was a stupid typo in the code that adds a roadtype to an existing bridge. That must have crept in with a recent rebase.

maquinista: I am having trouble finding all the newgrfs used in your savegame, and I cannot reproduce your bug on my own in a new game, so fixing it is going to take longer.
Attachments
nma-r24987.diff.gz
Simple diff
(299.04 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
nma-r24987.patch.gz
Branch (399 patches)
(641.1 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

cirdan wrote:
Supercheese wrote:Here's an updated win32 package. Same as before, applied the nma-r24984.diff and compiled without music support and increased Newgrf limit.
Thank you--your help is certainly allowing wider testing.
Unfortunately, I have no way of uncompressing a .rar archive. Could you (or anybody else) post its contents in another format? Better yet, could you post a savegame from before the crash (it is easier to debug)?
This is the same file in ZIP, also, I have attached two files which there aren't online (Bananas).
These files are under development, maybe the fail could be caused by a bug on SpainSet or Spaintracks (speedrails_OTTD.grf).
Attachments
fail.zip
File.
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
NewGRF_spainset.zip
GRF files offline.
(794.1 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

maquinista wrote:This is the same file in ZIP, also, I have attached two files which there aren't online (Bananas).
Thanks for the files; indeed, those were the GRFs I could not find. Now I can load your savegame... only to have OpenTTD complain that the savegame is broken because it references invalid PersistentStorage. Since I am pretty sure I did not touch anything related to PersistentStorage, I am at a loss about how the savegame got broken or what to do with it. The crash log is not of much help, either, because it has no debugging information, so I cannot recover the call stack.
maquinista wrote:These files are under development, maybe the fail could be caused by a bug on SpainSet or Spaintracks (speedrails_OTTD.grf).
Well, the log says something about a GRF error, but I think it is unlikely that this is the cause of the crash (the assertion you got means that the game attempted to update signals on a bridgehead from the wrong side).
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Updated binary, used nma-r24987.diff and same process as before.
Attachments
openttd-newmapfeatures-r24987-win32.7z
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 172 times

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I'm getting an assert as described in the screenshot.

Steps to reproduce:

-Load a grf that provides articulated road vehicles or trams
-Start a new game, build a road as in the screencap (abrupt end)
-Build any articulated RV/tram and when it reaches the end of the road the assert will trigger

I'm using the binary as posted in the preceding post.
Attachments
Assert.png
Assert.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 6558 times

cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Now, you are making me work hard. :-)

It was just another overzealous assert, or, rather, an assert in the wrong place (it should apply only to one branch of a conditional, not to both).

(Or we could rationalise it because having articulated road vehicles turn around in the open is a danger to road safety. :twisted:)

Fixed thusly.
Attachments
nma-r25034.diff.gz
Simple diff
(299.64 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
nma-r25034.patch.gz
Branch (399 patches)
(642.49 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Many thanks for the fix (and bump to higher revision) :D.

Win32 binary attached using nma-r25034.diff and same procedure as the others.
Attachments
openttd-newmapfeatures-r25034-win32.7z
(4.19 MiB) Downloaded 148 times

shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

Another small cosmetic item; in-city custom bridgeheads do not generate 'sidewalk' tiles.
See image below.

You have my attention on this patch. Very well done.
Looking forward to custom tunnel entries too.
Attachments
bridgehead_nowalk.png
bridgehead_nowalk.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
To express moral judgments about good and evil, you must posit that good and evil exist
If good and evil exist, you must posit a moral law by which we can distinguish between good and evil
If a moral law exists, a moral law giver must exist.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

Just downloaded binary because I have no idea how to compile Openttd and it looks nice! I downloaded game from the 1.3.0-RC1 and when I opened it it seems to work nice, but all one way roads were gone and on their places there were normal roads. Is it possible to fix this or is it only because change from the stable to patched version.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Katve wrote:Just downloaded binary because I have no idea how to compile Openttd and it looks nice! I downloaded game from the 1.3.0-RC1 and when I opened it it seems to work nice, but all one way roads were gone and on their places there were normal roads. Is it possible to fix this or is it only because change from the stable to patched version.
If a savegame made with trunk (or, in this case, a release candidate) does not load properly, then that is a bug. The attached patch should fix this particular one (loading of one-way roads); thanks for the report.
shampie wrote:Another small cosmetic item; in-city custom bridgeheads do not generate 'sidewalk' tiles.
See image below.
Graphical glitches are currently very low priority for me. I hope you understand: I am still trying to iron bugs out (though I am a bit surprised that there are not many of them), and fixing those glitches would increase the size and maintenance burden of an already extremely deep development branch. On the other hand, this particular issue would likely be easy to solve, since the map array has enough spare bits in road bridgeheads to store pavement status.
shampie wrote:You have my attention on this patch. Very well done.
Looking forward to custom tunnel entries too.
I am afraid I do not have any immediate plans to add custom tunnelheads. They were accounted for in the map array design, but they break the "single tile surface" assumption in the code; that is, that (ground) vehicles on a tile always lie on a certain plane such that their height is always a function of their (x,y) position (bridge and tunnel middle parts do not count, since they are not really part of the tile). Implementing custom tunnelheads would therefore imply even greater changes to tile track status callbacks, pathfinding, signal handling, etc. and these subsystems are far from simple.

Moreover, I am hesitant to add new features to this branch without a clear idea of what I am going to do with it in the long term. I posted this patch here for review and testing, and I have received invaluable help with that, but I also did it to get an idea about its chances of trunk inclusion, and I do not think there are many. So, while I am still keeping the patch up to date with respect to trunk, and fixing bugs, I do not intend to add new features unless I really feel it is worth the effort.
Attachments
nma-r25048.diff.gz
Simple diff
(296.89 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
nma-r25048.patch.gz
Branch (399 patches)
(642.77 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

New binary using nma-r25048.diff + increased grf limit.

Note some changes regarding cargo subtype refits in trunk (http://binaries.openttd.org/binaries/ni ... ngelog.txt).
Attachments
openttd-newmapfeatures-r25048-win32.7z
(4.2 MiB) Downloaded 154 times

shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

Oops..

Assertion failed.
See below image.
When trying to remove the railroad section indicated in the screen shot with the 'red' tracks the error pops up.
Enjoy!
Attachments
assertion.png
assertion.png (228.06 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
To express moral judgments about good and evil, you must posit that good and evil exist
If good and evil exist, you must posit a moral law by which we can distinguish between good and evil
If a moral law exists, a moral law giver must exist.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

shampie wrote:Oops..

Assertion failed.
See below image.
When trying to remove the railroad section indicated in the screen shot with the 'red' tracks the error pops up.
Enjoy!
Well, a worthy bug at last, and not just a typo or a wrong assertion. :-)

The problem here is that attempting to remove a stretch of rail that includes both endpoints of a bridge will try the removal twice in the test run, leading to mismatching costs in the test and exec runs. Trunk does not have this problem because the rail removal tool just ignores bridges there, but that is out of the question for custom bridgeheads.

Here is a new version of the patch.
Attachments
nma-r25056.diff.gz
Simple diff
(297.07 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
nma-r25056.patch.gz
Branch (399 patches)
(643.03 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

New binary, as usual.
Attachments
openttd-newmapfeatures-r25056-win32.7z
(4.2 MiB) Downloaded 161 times

dan137
Engineer
Engineer

Re: New map features - Tunnel heads on flat tiles

Post by dan137 »

Great job! I hope it gets into trunk sometime soon.
One thing about tunnels I think should be very useful and relatively easy to implement (just guessing, I'm not an experienced coder myself) is having sloped tunnel entrances on flat tiles, just as bridge heads can be on flat tiles. Is there some subtlety that makes this particularly hard to implement?
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Code-wise, I do not think there is anything that would impede implementing that, although it would have an impact (finding tunnel exits would be less efficient, for instance).

On the other hand, you can already build a tunnel as in the attached screenshot, which more or less achieves what you want.
Attachments
tunnel-entrance.png
tunnel-entrance.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 5827 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”