YAIM - (Yet Another) Infrastructure Maintenance Patch (V3.1)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: YAIM - (Yet Another) Infrastructure Maintenance Patch (V

Post by zooks »

Its under property maintenance
Cheers
charityalbumman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by charityalbumman »

zooks wrote:Its under property maintenance
Cheers
This doesn't go with the results I got ?( :oops: :cry:
Property Maintenance Costs = -£77,320 <<< Don't match look :shock:
My Infrastructure costs per year are:

Railway = -£19,284 (1,354)
Signals = -£2,340 (52)

Tramway = -£31,104 (1,418)

Station Tiles = -£26,028 (208)

TOTAL = -£78,756 <<< Don't match look :shock:
Please help me understand as the two numbers (total for infrastructure AND Property Maintenance Costs do not match).
Thanks for any help, Pete 8)
"Tea, coffee, meal and takeoff are all optional. Landing is mandatory!"
Click here to visit my Blog, Flight Sim and Train Sim web sites!
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

Yeah, I noticed that. The finances are over last years but the infrastructure costs are a projection of the next year..
So there can be a number of reasons why they don't match; you could have build more infrastructure, or it's inflation?
charityalbumman
Engineer
Engineer

zooks wrote:Yeah, I noticed that. The finances are over last years but the infrastructure costs are a projection of the next year..
So there can be a number of reasons why they don't match; you could have build more infrastructure, or it's inflation?
This explains this then as there are stations and some railway construction which was done in 1929. Thanks for this extra information. Love this as it does make it more challenging. 8)
Timberly
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Timberly »

Where do I download the patch? I can't see an added file or find it in the newGRF database? What am I doing wrong? Since I really would like to see progressive/non-linear costs added to this game ;).
charityalbumman
Engineer
Engineer

Timberly wrote:Where do I download the patch? I can't see an added file or find it in the newGRF database? What am I doing wrong? Since I really would like to see progressive/non-linear costs added to this game ;).
taken from the first post of this thread ... "To play, enable it in Advanced Settings | Economy. " 8)
Timberly
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Timberly »

charityalbumman wrote:
Timberly wrote:Where do I download the patch? I can't see an added file or find it in the newGRF database? What am I doing wrong? Since I really would like to see progressive/non-linear costs added to this game ;).
taken from the first post of this thread ... "To play, enable it in Advanced Settings | Economy. " 8)
Yeah oke, but I haven't downloaded anything whatsoever. You say it is now standard in openttd only have to enable it?
charityalbumman
Engineer
Engineer

Timberly wrote:
charityalbumman wrote:
Yeah oke, but I haven't downloaded anything whatsoever. You say it is now standard in openttd only have to enable it?
Yep. Simply just install the latest stable version and enable it in the advanced settings :)
Timberly
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Timberly »

Oh lol nice. Thanx!
charityalbumman
Engineer
Engineer

no problem :)
luizsilveira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by luizsilveira »

Hi there! My first post ever on these forums so please be gentle :) And sorry for necroing but I thought this was the most relevant place to post it.

I'm a long-time player (since TT, even pre-deluxe) but I had been away for a few years, maybe a bit over 5. And boy what a good surprise to come back! So much awesome stuff implemented. This community is so great I don't even have words.

Anyway: one of the great this is this! Proper infrastructure maintenance costs. I love it. :bow: Been playing with it on and running costs on high and it does make the game more interesting. One of the problems with this game is that you only need to strike a first profitable route and then money just snowballs in and it's never a problem any more. This certainly changes things a bit! And for the better! I like challenging games and am not fond of the idea of building increasingly huge networks forever where cost is never an issue any more.

First question: Is there a way to increase the maintenance costs more?

Now onto the actual content of the post: Helipad maintenance costs. Firstly, airports so far seem to me really quite expensive. That said, ok, I'm playing a small map so that certainly contributes to the problem.

But the thing is: an helipad counting as an airport for costs calculation is too harsh. Here's an example from my current game:

That "airport" is in fact an helidepot. I found the cost to be disproportional to the rest of my property and its costs. And it's also not proportional to the aircraft income. I have 12 of them, all running at a profit, all travelling full all times (the helidepot is cramming with passengers). Yet having 12 of them running around the clock amounts to 1/3 of the maintenance costs of a single helidepot...

Last disclaimer: I'm using the default aircraft speed of 1/4. I've heard that changing it could solve the problem and overcome the lack of profit but... I don't want to make aircraft OP in general either. In other words: I dislike games where you just set a tone of planes over a large distance and keep printing money. I just want a balanced setting if that makes sense? And if 1/4 is not the most balanced why is it the default?

tl;dr: I don't how the inner workings of how these costs are calculated but it seems to me that the costs of heliports and helidepots are way, way too high.

Thank you! So much!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is a(t least one) "base cost" NewGRF, which you can use to multiply the maintenance costs.

airport NewGRFs may additionally tweak the costs of heliports etc. (not entirely sure)
luizsilveira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by luizsilveira »

Thanks a lot for your reply Eddi!

I'll have a better look at "base cost". I thought it was only to tweak the cost of building things and not the cost of maintenance.

I did stumble upon a worse problem though: Every AI I had in the game went bankrupt after building an airport. They clearly don't take that cost into account. That was frustrating as I like to play with (preferably fierce) competition but every time they were doing pretty well they've built an airport and bam -- bankrupt a couple of years later. Happened to every single AI I tested.

So as a side question: Is there a way to disable maintenance costs for the AI? I looked for a setting and couldn't find it. It could be too much help for them, I don't know, but they seem to need a hand to keep up with us anyway.

----------------------------------------

As for Ferion, thanks for the suggestion! It does look interesting. Too interesting, in fact. So I won't try it for now as I can't have two time-sinking things at the same time or I'll ruin my life for good :mrgreen:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

No, AIs are treated like normal players.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
luizsilveira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by luizsilveira »

Alberth wrote:No, AIs are treated like normal players.
Thanks Alberth. Eh, rather unfortunate I guess? It'd be neat to be able to tweak different costs (especially maintenance and running costs) for the AI in comparison with the player. Or even the option to disable the maintenance costs for the AI altogether.

I've found how to tweak the airport one with the basecost NewGRF so thanks for that. As a relevant note, the Av8 newGRF does "solve" it too. The initial maintenance cost for an airport went from roughly £160,000/yr to £8,000/yr with the Av8 active. Quite a difference, huh! The default £160,000 seems to be too much indeed if you compare to the £100,000 default starting money, or with the £ planes can generate yearly -- especially early on. When I first posted I thought the problem was only with heliports but airports don't seem to be much better off in the vanilla.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”