Enhanced viewport: zoom out, overlays & tooltips (r53_27127)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Enhanced viewport: zoom out, overlays & tooltips (r53_27

Post by JGR »

I found a bug...
Looking at aqueduct bridge heads in viewport map mode triggers an assertion due to using GetWaterTileType (which is only valid on MP_WATER tiles) on the bridge head tiles, which are not of type MP_WATER.
A fix is attached below.

That aside, thanks for all your work on this patch :)
Attachments
enh-viewport-map-aqueduct-bridge-head-r53-bug-report.diff
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Enhanced viewport: zoom out, overlays & tooltips (r53_27127)

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I've found the same bug and fixed it in my version. I can otherwise not report any other bugs so far. Seems very stable and well performing.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The fix in my last post is incorrect, I forgot that I'd posted it in this thread when correcting it. Fixed fix attached below. The only other bugs that I'm aware of, are various rendering/redrawing issues with route markers/lines, and issues with viewport map mode, mainly involving bridges/tunnels. Fixes can be found here
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
debdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by debdog »

Ahoy guys!

I am sorry, am a bit lost in this thread. Mainly I am after the "Zoom out any viewport up to 128X" feature, although some other ones seem appealing, too. Which files do I have to fetch? Is the patch set linked at the initial post of this thread up to date? Or do I have to patch the patches?

If it should be up to date, I am sorry to report some of them don't apply to 1.7.0 source. I am happy to provide more info if required.

Also, I am a tad confused why such an useful feature never made it into ottd?

Thanks in advance for any reply!
Alex
debdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by debdog »

Ok, after reading a bit further into this thread I realised the patch set's .zip should be the latest state. So I've tried to fix the non-applying patches manually. Went well up to No. 20. Afterwards it got a tad more complicated. I've absolutely no experience with C, or any other programming language for that matter, so I've just guessed some stuff. Surprisingly it even compiled on the third attempt. However, the zoom's behaviour does not differ to the std. 1.7.0 version.

Well, 've tried. Not failing horribly is still a failure in this case.

Your patches really do make sense and I still can't wrap my head around why they, or at least some oft them, didn't made it into the OTTD release.

I hope you don't give up and try to keep the patches in sync with the release branch.

Thanks a lot for your effort, in any case!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The maximum zoom level is a setting in the "graphics" section.
Once you've applied the patch, you'll probably need to also change its value.

If you're having trouble with the posted patch set earlier in the thread, try the enhanced_viewport_overlay branch of the repo at https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... rt_overlay, this also fixes various bugs in the patch set in the first post, and is relative to a newer trunk revision.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
debdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by debdog »

JGR wrote:The maximum zoom level is a setting in the "graphics" section.
Once you've applied the patch, you'll probably need to also change its value.
Riiiiiiight, now that you mention it.... 've read it somewhere before but totally forgot about that.
Guess what!? My geusswork actually worked! I am so happy right now!

JGR wrote:If you're having trouble with the posted patch set earlier in the thread, try the enhanced_viewport_overlay branch of the repo at https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... rt_overlay, this also fixes various bugs in the patch set in the first post, and is relative to a newer trunk revision.
Will give it a shot, thanks A LOT, again!
debdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by debdog »

Time to upgrade to 1.8, though I have no clue what to do with the enhanced_viewport_overlay branch. I have tried to just compile from this branch and while the outcome is usable, it says version "norev000" and shows the splash screen of the 1.6 version. So I assume I have to _lay_ this branch _over_ the release/1.8 one, somehow?

A quick online search did not reveal anything useful to me, maybe I have a wrong understanding of what overlay actually means in git's context.

Any hint appreciated!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”