[Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock + binary 25 (r27452)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock (+ binary)

Post by Comm Cody »

Wasila, Could you post the binary to a different site? I really don't trust rapidshare.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Why don't you trust them?
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

departureboards has been updated - see the first post of the thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49956#p901728).

Showing the company name struck me as being rather pointless in a single player game (or one without industry sharing), so now you can choose whether to display vehicle name, company name, both or neither. The ability to show vehicle names was added because doing so was quite simple.

Enjoy! Feedback is appreciated :)
Last edited by hthhs on 13 Sep 2010 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

looks great so how i apply diff - cause i put the combined one but didn't show the options
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

http://wiki.openttd.org/compiling

or, download the binary that is somewhere in this topic
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

Lord Aro wrote:http://wiki.openttd.org/compiling

or, download the binary that is somewhere in this topic
thanks - i got figured out now :D

edit - i don't see any change - the departure board is blank just with text on top with link - no train or bus info on it so hoiw i need enable it?
(screenshot attached)
Attachments
Minstock Heath Transport, 12_54 Day 504.png
(156.29 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

edit - i don't see any change - the departure board is blank just with text on top with link - no train or bus info on it so hoiw i need enable it?
(screenshot attached
Hey,

are you sure that your vehicles have timetables?
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

wallclock has been updated - see the first post of the thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49956#p901728).

I have implemented bwong's request of being able to hide the day number.

I will try to make a windows binary and post it later today.

Enjoy! Feedback is appreciated :)

EDIT

Go to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49956&p=903274#p903274 for an up-to-date binary.
Attachments
openttd-departureboards0.8rc-wallclock0.3rc-r20762.zip
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
Last edited by hthhs on 13 Sep 2010 16:21, edited 2 times in total.
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Hey,

are you planning any further changes so far? Because I can't patch my cargodist-game every two days... It always takes me a while :lol:

And I think it would be nice to adjust the minutes / days relation in the settings (e.g. I would prefer 1 day = 3 min)

And again... .I really like your patch ... and the new possibility to show the train's name :)
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:
(screenshot attached
Hey,

i found out that i didn't set timetables so once that set its worked - but text on board was small so i wanted know if there big text to read?
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

departureboards has been updated - see the first post of the thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49956#p901728).
Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:Hey,

are you planning any further changes so far? Because I can't patch my cargodist-game every two days... It always takes me a while :lol:

And I think it would be nice to adjust the minutes / days relation in the settings (e.g. I would prefer 1 day = 3 min)

And again... .I really like your patch ... and the new possibility to show the train's name :)
Adjusting the number of minutes per original day would be nice, but probably a bit painful as using 1 minute per day allows me to leave most of the code alone, only interfering with the Set Date window for timetabling and intercepting calls to display dates. I'll have a look into it when I have some time but I can't promise to implement it.

Another thing I'll consider adding in the future is an alternative (i.e. allowing the player able to choose between it and the original) appearance for the departure boards, based on the ones depicted in http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/content/images/2007/11/16/paris_gallery_1_353x470.jpg and http://www.flickr.com/photos/moley75/2546023423/. If I do add this, it won't happen for a while as I'm quite busy with other things at the moment.

Read my reply to rsdworker too. Apart from all that, I don't currently plan on adding anything else to the patch.
rsdworker wrote:
Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:
(screenshot attached
Hey,

i found out that i didn't set timetables so once that set its worked - but text on board was small so i wanted know if there big text to read?
I'll look into adding a setting to make the text size larger.

EDIT

Binary:
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

THANK YOU! (I need to learn how to compile on my machine.>_<)
VVG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by VVG »

hthhs wrote: Adjusting the number of minutes per original day would be nice, but probably a bit painful as using 1 minute per day allows me to leave most of the code alone, only interfering with the Set Date window for timetabling and intercepting calls to display dates. I'll have a look into it when I have some time but I can't promise to implement it.
Variable minute's length has been done already. If you are going to make a minute's length variable, you might find this http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49799 helpful.
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

This looks intersting, too. I'll try to combine departure boards and virtual time.... That could be a milestone (for me) :)
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

thanks - its better now :)
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

One Question. Does this mess up vehicle invention date? Or the year you pick in the start new game menu?

EDIT And it does.
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:This looks intersting, too. I'll try to combine departure boards and virtual time.... That could be a milestone (for me) :)
wouldnt you need permission from them both...?
Check out some of my work
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

bwong wrote: wouldnt you need permission from them both...?
No, OpenTTD is liscenced under the GPL license. When you write a patch and post a binary. The code used to make the binary is also open source. See COPYING.txt
However it is nice to give credit where credit is due.

Also writing a patch for an open source project and then protecting your source does no make sense.
As an author, if you do not like the modifications that are done by someone else, don't use them in your "official" patch and make the modifier create his own thread if he is posting in your thread.

Yes, there are severs that do not provide source code but as they do not post binaries and clients join with vanilla OpenTTD they are not required to provide the source. (I speak for myself when I say I will not go near such a server.)

On topic,
hthhs,
When the departure tables are empty you have put a redirect to openttd.org. Lol, they are not there either, I checked. :mrgreen:
Would it not be better to give a more relevant message? eg. "The departure times are not calculated yet. Are you using timetables?" or something alike?
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

bwong wrote:
Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:This looks intersting, too. I'll try to combine departure boards and virtual time.... That could be a milestone (for me) :)
wouldnt you need permission from them both...?
Why? I didn't want to make a combined patch or post a binary... I only wanted to compile my own version with these patches... that's all
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

OH. :oops:
Check out some of my work

Return to “OpenTTD Development”