Android port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Android port

Post by pelya »

I was asked to compile OpenTTD with ChillCore patch pack - here it is - OpenTTD version is trunk at r21531. If you want to copy over your savegames - install any file manager from Market and move files between /sdcard/app-data/org.openttd.sdl and org.openttd.sdl.chillcore
ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ProDigit »

My review of openttd on an android phone is here

Mostly topics you already knew, like midi not working;
but also problems more common to people who have only a single tap touchscreen on their phones.

Though I just figured out that on a single tap screen, tap and hold for 1 sec will pan the screen, as well as allow one to select
Most options windows are slightly too large, while news ads fill 75% of the screen estate (fixable by setting all messages to summary, the window barely fits the screen.
Industry display chain is slightly too large to fit the screen.
It would be nice if the android porters / openttd programmers could set their resolution (windowed) to 480x320, and optimize it for this resolution.

SFX are working.

Game runs nice on a 320x480 pix screen, in landscape, but the trackball should be addressed to the mouse, while tap-dragging should be addressed to panning the map; because placing roads on this small screen via touchscreen is an art on itself!
regs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by regs »

looks like i'm doing something wrong, but i can't turn on big GUI. moving it to active then clicking apply and nothing happens.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The big GUI only appears when you are in-game, unfortunately it cannot modify the main menu GUI size. To modify the button size in the main menus you will need to alter the font size. You can do that by editing the openttd config file; that is normally located on the SD card under app-dataorg.openttd.sdl.openttdopenttd.cfg , look for small_size medium_size and large_size in the config file.
elquedro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elquedro »

I've got a Asus Transformer and this runs flawlessy on it! It sounds like it is the perfect game for me on the little tablet. However I am wondering if it is possible to only use a hardware mouse? I am unable to turn the mouse emulation totally off.

When using a hardware mouse and relative mouse movement on 'tablet' mode, then I do not have any mouse-overs so I am unable to see where I am going to place, for example, a railroad or trainstation.

Is it possible to rely on only a hardware mouse, like the PC version?
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Hmm... this has begun to dissappoint me with the newer versions...

1: What is the optimal settings (for mouse emulation) for a Droid X ( no track ball, no slide out keyboard)

2: I think you use to be able to play against people with the desktop version of the game.. right? But now with 1.1.3M or whatever it is, its impossible.

I used to have it working like a charm, i duno wtf i did ;/
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

a bit diggy but I'm using this on a cheapy Android tablet and it works great, but with rather crappy controls (no scrollwheel or hardware keyboard, only a 7" touchscreen). It has only Android 2.1 but it installed great. Only bad thing, it's only version 1.1.4 - any WIP on updating to 1.2.0? Not hurrying, only asking if the porter is still active.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Seems to be working on droid X.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Is this project still active? Does it correspond to this OpenTTD in the play store?

If so, I have recently tried it on my Iconia B1 tablet, with the (obsolete) Android 4.1.2, and I have some suggestions regarding GUI consistency, but I'm not sure if this is the right place for that. Is the developer still around?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Yes I'm still here, but I won't modify GUI, I'm only updating Android port with new OpenTTD versions, when they are released.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

pelya wrote:Yes I'm still here, but I won't modify GUI, I'm only updating Android port with new OpenTTD versions, when they are released.
I see, however, someone did modify the GUI. I'd really like to contact that person(s) because we have a lot to talk about.

So again, here I am asking who's responsible for the Android GUI modifications. Most probably the forum's OTTD developers will say "we have nothing to do with the Android port", and that would be a dead end which I prefer to avoid.

If someone knows who made/makes the GUI modifications that appear in the Android port, please reply here.

Here's a screenshot for those who are wondering why I'm so apalled with the Android port:

Some issues render the game unplayable, I only want to help in the process of fixing every single graphic issue, glitch or inconsistency to reach an minimum playability level. Thanks.
andedrunkard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andedrunkard »

i have a galaxy note, running the droid version. Its great, love it, but i get the same issues as above but more importantly my speed up button does nothing when i click it. Is this a limitation i have missed?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Yeah, all that bugs are because I've increased font size in Android port, but UI elements cannot rescale properly. Since phones are bigger now, I guess I'll decrease it back to the "stock" size.
I don't know about speedup button, I did not change it. Try removing BigGUI newgrf from settings, maybe BigGUI is at fault here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

It looks like someone (perhaps you) added a big-gui newgrf, giving you bigger graphical buttons etc. The font size doesn't look changed, so you get this nice combination of large and small things in the gui.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if the fast forward button does not appear to do anything, your computer is already at its limits.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

pelya wrote:Yeah, all that bugs are because I've increased font size in Android port, but UI elements cannot rescale properly. Since phones are bigger now, I guess I'll decrease it back to the "stock" size.
I don't know about speedup button, I did not change it. Try removing BigGUI newgrf from settings, maybe BigGUI is at fault here.
I see. You should definitely consider some GUI corrections according to the detected device's DPI.

For tablet devices, you should apply all the double size icons, buttons and larger text that you can. And vertically-align all text and sprites, always.

I bet the original game toolbar (640px total width) is perfectly feasible for tablets, and no one will argue that the original buttons are much better looking (sorry if I'm too honest here).

Using those huge toolbar icons with diminute menus is, to say the least,... absolutely pointless. In fact is the wrong way to go: I insist in using original size buttons, and use all means available to double-size the menus. Not increase font, just double size and vertically align menu items.

Tablets with 1280px width could show the original toolbar with double-sized icons. Due to those device's high DPI, pixelation could not even be noticed.

Notice that if all these issues are addressed, you could offer a paid/premium version, and make a lot of money from the play store, regardless of the fact that you are not the original developer. I would gadly pay at least 10 USD for a proper Android port. Currently, there are no DOS games properly ported to Android devices. I mean, not even a single one. You could set a precedent here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Andrex wrote:Not increase font, just double size and vertically align menu items.
the GUI scales with font size, can't have one without the other.
if you don't like the double size icons, edit openttd.cfg ([newgrf-static] section most likely)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Andrex wrote: you could offer a paid/premium version
That's not going to happen. You can buy the official Transport Tycoon for Android, it costs 7 bucks, and has much better UI.
I'll revert fonts size, but bigger buttons will stay (they work and are not ugly, why dumping them?).
Andrex wrote:Currently, there are no DOS games properly ported to Android devices. I mean, not even a single one. You could set a precedent here.
How about this, this, this, or this? Those are just the ports I've started, there's also this and this by other developers.
andedrunkard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andedrunkard »

... the official TTD on android doesn't have the best UI to be honest. they have made things very things are all over the place. Track placement is woeful and although the graphics may look a little cleaner (as its newer) try playing that for 4 hours straight, bet you get an hour in like i did before i craved to play OTTD, which i was then upto 4 hours solid play before i realised the time :)

re. The 'speed' button, i will try on my galaxy tonight to diable the GUI.grf, but did i read that others arent getting this problem at all?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

All the "speed" button does is try to use the available processing power to accelerate the game faster. If it doesn't appear to be faster, it is because your processor is doing other things. This is going to vary widely based on the way people use their devices.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”