Android port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Android port

Post by pelya »

OpenTTD reached 5000 downloads in 11 days after initial release, this game surely is popular ;)
NekoMaster wrote:Might I suggest a reworking of the GUI's so that more screen space can be devoted to playing rather then GUI. For the main toolbar at the top why not try making it so that it can be reduced to a small button to the left or right (or center) with a [<], [>] or a [\/] button to summon the bar when needed but can be configured to auto hide when you choose to build something or open a new window (company window, vehicle lists, etc)

Also, if a scaling alg. can be implimented maybe we could shrink the size of some graphical buttons or make a newgrf that includes smaller graphics (or a combination of both if people want to play with newgrfs that add stations, waypoints, etc)

I may not have an android (both types :p) but I'd love to see a port to it for if I ever do get an android
You obviously need to test it on a real device. There's no such thing as a big GUI for Android, make a button that will occupy half-screen and you'll make everyone happy, make it smaller and you'll get complaints.
Button for hiding toolbar is a nice idea, but it's a task for main OpenTTD developer team, and they already got one Android-related bug.
werwolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by werwolf »

Nice download count!

How about AI?

And how can you set multiplayer name permanently? I cant set name, and thus even if I join a game server doesnt let me play....

Thanks
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

I've got no android (yet) and so I cannot test anything, but would you really want to try playing with an AI? AI's can be rather CPU intense thus battery consuming!
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

@pelya:
- someone reported no support for 1024x600 resolution (Galaxy Tab I think), I got on my Nexus One resolutions up to 800x480 so cannot test it
- I got 2 folders with OTTD content:
/sdcard/openttd
/sdcard/app-data/org.openttd.sdl
cannot figure out which one is correct, which one gets downloaded stuff and which one I can delete and will not be recreated
(there's also /sdcard/app-data/org.openttd.sdl/.openttd)

Would be nice to review how to install it manually, someone having problem installing it manually ... and I just got confused what to put and where :P
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:@pelya:
- someone reported no support for 1024x600 resolution (Galaxy Tab I think), I got on my Nexus One resolutions up to 800x480 so cannot test it
Have no idea - SDL should add device native resolution to resolutions list.
SHADOW-XIII wrote: /sdcard/app-data/org.openttd.sdl
This one is correct, you may remove another one.
SHADOW-XIII wrote: (there's also /sdcard/app-data/org.openttd.sdl/.openttd)
This one is used to save your config files and downloaded content.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Just a note about a setting you should take note of:
Left click scrolling (i.e. drag the map with the left mouse button); this could (optionally) remove the need for the on-screen D-pad.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Expect raise in downloads. I've put info before on xda-developers forum before but apparently someone just made a news out of it. :mrgreen:
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Expect raise in downloads. I've put info before on xda-developers forum before but apparently someone just made a news out of it. :mrgreen:
Currently OpenTTD has 6816 downloads according to the Market developer web interface. Free Heroes 2 is more popular - 7294 downloads, despite that I've released it a week later.
User comments on Market are stupid and hilarious, as usual.

AI not working bug:
I did not play the OpenTTD game itself (just launched few times to check it works), so I don't know how to test or fix AI - please give me some instructions how to enable AI in a Linux OpenTTD build, what you expect it to do and what it actually does on Android.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Reports of Samsung Galaxy S I9000 under Froyo (Spike Speedy Edition 3.0) and SE x10i.
They apparently downloaded everything but SDL is still trying to download something, any idea?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... stcount=22
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Running great on Droid 2 global
:bow:
The big gui looks great!
The network support also works, hosted from pc; joined on droid.Thinking of starting daily server for droids.

However how do you use shift/control?
And where can you find your screenshot on your sd card?

Is this the same project available on the android marketplace? -yes

Posted from Droid 2 global. :mrgreen:

Edit: I will work on getting screenshots for this thread.
Last edited by Zhall on 15 Dec 2010 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

screenshots end up in /app-data/org.openttd.sdl/.openttd/

I hope its the same on your device!
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Here are a few screen shots i took on my Droid 2 global phone.

The first one is the fruits of my 4 hours of labor, most of that was spent figuring out how to work this port and avoiding being seen by teachers. (lol)

The second is an error when i went to load a save which used newgrfs, primarily ones that have to do with new industries and trains, which i did not download onto my phone prior to loading.

Third is a stress test of a PC save that i loaded up, Android was able to handle 221 extremely long (lag inducing) trains on a large map, quite impressive, with only a 10-15 drop in fps.

I would like to start reporting technical info/fps, but i cant figure out how to access the console.

Also, tried uploading images from Droid 2 Global, and uploader would not complete the task.

Considering making another openttd 101 video, which explains the best settings for playing on the android platform, trying to figure it out myself first and get drocap to work.
Attachments
Woo ooh 4 hours of greasy screen
Woo ooh 4 hours of greasy screen
Ronningville Transport, 16th Jan 1956.png (88.13 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Error... Im sure this can be fixed by simply downloading the newgrfs before loading.
Error... Im sure this can be fixed by simply downloading the newgrfs before loading.
Co Op Transport, 25th Feb 2014.png (14.32 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
221 trains, 100 train length, not bad for 1.2 ghz processor
221 trains, 100 train length, not bad for 1.2 ghz processor
United Star, 6th Aug 19941.png (84.35 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

pelya: you fckn kiddin me!
Amazing ports man, first OTTD, then Heroes 2 now GemRB!!!!!!!!!
That's freaking Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment on my android! WTF!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

OpenTTD have reached 10000 downloads today, that's good.
I don't have much free time lately to work on the port, but I expect to at least implement zoom in/out with two fingers next week.

Also, someone plz tell me how to enable AI in the OpenTTD PC version, I'm totally nub in the game.
SHADOW-XIII wrote:pelya: you fckn kiddin me!
Amazing ports man, first OTTD, then Heroes 2 now GemRB!!!!!!!!!
That's freaking Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment on my android! WTF!
I did not port GemRB, the guy that is working on this port asked me to publish it to Market, so I'm just a mere publisher.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

i believe this should probably help...
http://wiki.openttd.org/AI_settings
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQn-uHI1P94

I do beleive this will change the game massively once its complete...

The game as in porting.. and not openttd or your other ports :D
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Updated OpenTTD - added zooming with two-finger pinch-zoom, and enabled left click scrolling (it overrides defaults, you cannot disable it, hehe). Also there are keycodes returned for rotate two-finger gestures, you can reassign them from SDL menu to something useful (you cannot rotate map in OpenTTD, can you?).
Still not tried to fix no AI bug.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

pelya wrote:Updated OpenTTD - added zooming with two-finger pinch-zoom, and enabled left click scrolling (it overrides defaults, you cannot disable it, hehe). Also there are keycodes returned for rotate two-finger gestures, you can reassign them from SDL menu to something useful (you cannot rotate map in OpenTTD, can you?).
Still not tried to fix no AI bug.
Nope, no rotation on the map :p
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Is this supposed to be playable with a touchscreen-only device? I tried but it doesn't work properly - touchscreen only worked in a certain region of the screen, not at the border(?), which made it impossible to close some windows I opened in the main menu. I didn't even manage to start a game :(

I have a 480x320 display. Here are the full specs of the device I used: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_chic_e720-3494.php

edit: NVM, solved that using the "calibrate touchscreen" option.
However the buttons are really hard to hit, and the text in the main menu is illegible :(
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Roujin wrote:Is this supposed to be playable with a touchscreen-only device? I tried but it doesn't work properly - touchscreen only worked in a certain region of the screen, not at the border(?), which made it impossible to close some windows I opened in the main menu. I didn't even manage to start a game :(

I have a 480x320 display. Here are the full specs of the device I used: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_chic_e720-3494.php

edit: NVM, solved that using the "calibrate touchscreen" option.
However the buttons are really hard to hit, and the text in the main menu is illegible :(
for the text problem you could try editing the config if there is one and change the text (small, medium, and large) to a different font or a different size

Also, you do know theres a grf that makes buttons and the gui bigger for touch screens and high res monitors?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”