Patchpack: Hard Game pack 0.8

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ploes
President
President

Re: Patchpack: Hard Game pack 0.7

Post by Ploes »

Just downloaded 0.7.144 with Graphics... looks interesting :)

I'll report back once I've started playing.
mallardtheduck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mallardtheduck »

I think I just found a bug. Upon loading my game, all the vehicle incomes/running costs for the previous year are messed up. The total still seems right though. Screenshot attached. Note that I don't have any ships or aircraft in the game (yet).

EDIT: Actually, all the costs/income are wrong, it's just the total that's right.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.05 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Vaulter
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vaulter »

thanks all for reports.
last one is known bug :)
thanks anyway
mallardtheduck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mallardtheduck »

Has this bug been reported? It seems to happen when a train "breaks down" while slowing for a station, the speed limit doesn't get applied when it accelerates away again. Should I report it to Hirundo of IB?

Great patchpack though!
Attachments
speed bug.PNG
speed bug.PNG (22.68 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
praguzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by praguzz »

Is it just me or the font is too small?
I know this is a Hard Pack but don't make it a Hard to Read Pack :)

Great Patch BTW
Attachments
Bug.png
Can You Read it? :D
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Yes I can read it :)

It is likely a problem with the font settings in your openttd.cfg file.
The explanation how to change it is at http://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_troubleshoo ... ll_to_read

I hope that helps to fix your problem.
praguzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by praguzz »

Thx Alberth, I tried to change the font size a few days ago, but it's still looks too small, and I don't know what to do with small_font options so I just left it empty. I guess that is my problem, I don't change the ***_font :D . Thx :D
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

The stange font settings in this seem to be hardcoded somehow. This version seems to ignore my openttd.cfg font settings as they are fine for every other version of OTTD i have (possibly in the 100's now!)
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
lexjuh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lexjuh »

Hello, thanks for the Patchpack, I am really enjoying it! :D

But I wouldn't post if there aren't some small annoyances.

First would be the wrong/too fast animation of newgrf files in combination with true daylenth patch.

I am not a C programmer, but I'll try anyways.

The daylength patch author introduces _tick_skip_counter to insert some "dummy ticks" that lengthen the gameplay.

But in the file newgrf_animation_base.h the animations are only ........uhmm...........triggered by the original _tick_counter.

So I would guess the problem is somewhere there.

Second, I changed station_type.h to enlarge the coverage areas of stations (around line #77). That works and really makes gameplay more enjoyable with a coverage area of 5 to 6, especially on large maps. But it crashes if I load a saved game and delete/alter a station. The crash location is somewhere in the patch that shows station coverages with CTRL+click. Wild guess, station coverage or alteration of station catchment areas aren't saved. I'm trying to find the crash.log so if I find it I can post it. Had something to do with an assert. Though that patch isn't commented I can not find anything more usefull to say about the matter.

Third, the automatic timetable seperation does not work if there are waypoints in the order list. I am hoping you can implment a better solution, for instance the new timetables thingy http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63721 once it is mature enough.

Fourth, ATC speed control doesn't seem to work very well. It either does not work or does really strange things, like slowing down while it is the only train in the area.

//Edit
Fifth, the copy-paste grf does not work, no matter where I place it. It just does not show in the menus.

And some requests/suggestions,

I added the "close adjacent level crossing" patch to your code, http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=46091. Took me 30 minutes or so shifting the lines around+compiling and it works really good. You should consider putting it into the next version of your patch. No more building bridges like mad. I can't afford many bridges either way since I added a basecost grf and made the game harder.

I am still looking for something that I can use to easily alter/copy/share vehicle names around without having to backspace "Road Vehicle XX" and type them out every time. If it could get the name of a nearby sign or so........that would work wonders. Or some selectable premade name-schemes.....Or this is already a "hidden" feature somewhere?

Could you also tell me which version of cargo-distribution you implemented? I may want to play around with a newer version of it if there is one.

But thanks again, such a pack as yours revives my enjoyment of OpenTTD!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'll try to answer these as good as i can, without internal knowledge of (most) patches:

1) why do you think that is a problem? if animations are supposed to be "smooth" (like vehicle movement), then it is correct to not scale them by daylength

2) that is hard to debug if you don't provide your patch, and should probably be checked against the original patch, not a patchpack

3) yes, that is a known bug of that patch.

4) no idea

5) copypaste.grf is NOT a newgrf, it's a supplement of the base grf, and thus will never show up in the newgrf list. it will be automatically loaded if the copypaste patch is included in the patchpack.

"7)" i think there's a feature where you (ctrl+)clone a vehicle and it copies the name and increments the number
lexjuh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lexjuh »

Eddi wrote:i'll try to answer these as good as i can, without internal knowledge of (most) patches:

1) why do you think that is a problem? if animations are supposed to be "smooth" (like vehicle movement), then it is correct to not scale them by daylength
Because the code seems to do this:
Run _tick_skip_counter N number of times (N= daylenth factor)
At every _tick_skip_counter it runs what you see on the screen(vehicle movement+logic, some innate animations etc...)

Untill _tick_skip_counter = daylength factor
then run all/more gamecode logic such as the date incrementer once and external newgrf animations.
Reset _tick_skip_counter to 0 and repeat

So I suppose the animations for newgrf files are only run when _tick_skip_counter = daylength factor, and that means only once every so many times, dependent upon the daylength factor.

This is the relevant piece of the patch I belive:

Code: Select all

--- src/openttd.cpp	(revision 24094)
+++ src/openttd.cpp	(working copy)
@@ -1293,13 +1293,25 @@
 		 *  for multiplayer compatibility */
 		Backup<CompanyByte> cur_company(_current_company, OWNER_NONE, FILE_LINE);

-		AnimateAnimatedTiles();
-		IncreaseDate();
-		RunTileLoop();
-		CallVehicleTicks();
-		CallLandscapeTick();
-		ClearStorageChanges(true);
+		_tick_skip_counter++;

+		if (_tick_skip_counter < _settings_game.economy.day_length_factor)
+		{
+			AnimateAnimatedTiles();
+			CallVehicleTicks();
+			ClearStorageChanges(true);
+		}
+		else
+		{
+			_tick_skip_counter = 0;
+			AnimateAnimatedTiles();
+			IncreaseDate();
+			RunTileLoop();
+			CallVehicleTicks();
+			CallLandscapeTick();
+			ClearStorageChanges(true);
+		}
+
 		AI::GameLoop();
 		Game::GameLoop();
 		UpdateLandscapingLimits();
The behavior I described above is what can be seen if you change the daylength from 1 (standard, animations are as normal) to 2 (Runs animation, stops) to 8 (runs animation, stops very long).

The patch is found here BTW: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 00#p936279
2) that is hard to debug if you don't provide your patch, and should probably be checked against the original patch, not a patchpack
Yes I know and it seems to not be very reproducible. I started a new game since I ran into that bug and this new game does not crash, but the old savegame does. Though I updated some newgrf's in the meantime. So I can't pinpoint accurately anymore where, how and when the bug happens. And posting the savegame will not be very productive since I compile some newgrf files from the sources and write my own NML grf file here and there + the changes I add to the source.... I would call it a mess for anyone looking at it.

But calling it a "patch" is stretching the meaning of the word :)

It is only a change in the enumerator that stores the coverage area in tile units of stations in station_type.h line ~76.

Code: Select all

/** The different catchment areas used */
enum CatchmentArea {
	CA_NONE            =  0, ///< Catchment when the station has no facilities
	CA_BUS             =  3, ///< Catchment for bus stops with "modified catchment" enabled
	CA_TRUCK           =  3, ///< Catchment for truck stops with "modified catchment" enabled
	CA_TRAIN           =  4, ///< Catchment for train stations with "modified catchment" enabled
	CA_DOCK            =  5, ///< Catchment for docks with "modified catchment" enabled

CA_UNMODIFIED      =  4, ///< Catchment for all stations with "modified catchment" disabled

MAX_CATCHMENT      = 10, ///< Maximum catchment for airports with "modified catchment" enabled
};
I changed those to 5 for roadstops and 6 for stations/docks/airports. I find it way more enjoyabe this way without having to go mad on roadstops and giving vehicles orders, without making it too easy.
5) copypaste.grf is NOT a newgrf, it's a supplement of the base grf, and thus will never show up in the newgrf list. it will be automatically loaded if the copypaste patch is included in the patchpack.
Then I have to conlcude that it is not patched into the patchpack, or it has to go to a totally different location then stated in the opening post and all the other locations I tried.
"7)" i think there's a feature where you (ctrl+)clone a vehicle and it copies the name and increments the number
That indeed works and I use that a lot, but it is still tedious to remove every "Road Vehicle XX" and put in the name I want when I start a new "route". On a 2048x2048 map there are a lot of those. I for instance name my vehicles first after their home city(abbreviated), then if they are on a regional or localroute , what they transport and finally what kind of vehicle it is + number at the end.
For example:
City name is Buxton, it is a local transport (stays in the city), it transports passengers and it is a bus becomes:
BXN\LP.B#1 (BuXtoN\LocalPassenger.Bus#1)

So ideally would be if I could put up and configure a naming-scheme. But I would already be really happy if I could remove "Road Vehicle XX" in one go from the edit box with a hotkey or something. Furthermore copying the name from an existing vehicle to another existing vehicle and increment the vehicle number by 1. Because with cargo-distribution and setting up new routes there may be overcapacity on some routes. Would be nice if I could set some of those vehicles up on a new or existing route and copy the proper names belonging to that route to them. AFAIK, right now I have to manually change them. Or sell them, but since I made it a bit harder for myself that is economically not really feasible.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

in newer trunk there is a "clear edit box" button, and ctrl+backspace deletes a whole word. this patchpack is probably not new enough to include that.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Hi there,

I have a small bug using your patchpack: some buses are struct at the entry of some bus stations ?( (see screenie)
Black & Co., 04_02_1976.png
(95.76 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Black & Co., 05_02_1976.png
(108.79 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
I tried reversing them, stoping/starting them, deleting the station, well i kind of tried everything but the bus stay there and won t move !

Now the probable cause is : I was using street traffic AI, but this AI brought such a mess on the road network but worst also on my cargodist link (infrasharing was on, and the AI's vehicules went inside all my bays wich triggered new links for cargodist !).... seeing this i waited for the AI to go bankrupt to continue my game. No crash happened when the AI went bankrupt, but i suspect that some AI's vehicules were iside my bays at the moment of bankrupting, wich i guess now make thinks my busses that the bays are busy(AI's vehicule probably never went out, and was just deleted inside the bay....)....

I only show two bays with that problem, but i think i ve seen 3 bayd in this situation on my game (seems like it happened only to bays where there is/were only one bay to choose for stopping. and not to the go through station)

I attached savegame if you want to have a look to the bug. (also maybe if you want to try to reproduce it i can send you the savegame a couple month before the AI go bankrupt).

If you need any newgrf, pm me

Edit : to find the locked bus look for bus number : 367,292,105,58,71,235,(or look for bus list, per profit... they are the one loosing most money)
Attachments
Black & Co., 02_02_1976.sav
(371.43 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Where can i find a working download bundle 0.7.144?
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

jor[D]1 wrote:Where can i find a working download bundle 0.7.144?
on the page before on this thread, there is a fresh link posted by vaulter and some older ones
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Thank you Roma, haven't had time to experiment with this pack, is it a good replacement for chill's PP?
Am I correct Highlevels and undersea tunnel are not in?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

jor[D]1 wrote:Thank you Roma, haven't had time to experiment with this pack, is it a good replacement for chill's PP?
Am I correct Highlevels and undersea tunnel are not in?
Hi Jor, This is definetily a very good replacement, especially for the ones who like to play with the latest newgrfs.

You are also right about the missing patch, but there is additionnal ones that you won t find in CPP and they bring lots of extra value to the game such as :
- historic of vehicules
- grass growing on old tracks
- the daylenght differs from CPP, this time if you make daylenght longer, the production is not increased accordingly, wich IMHO makes players able to build very cute little train networks, without needing to double or quad track all the way. This also makes road vehicules much more attractive.(Of course you can also increase the passenger/mail production in a separate settings if you are looking to make heavily used networks.)
- the cargodist version is a bit newer too
- there is also many small patches that add great features like "see catchment area of existing station", or " one that allow an order like " load until an other vehicule arrive in the station"(and other variant of that)

You ll probably find more than this as those are the ones i m sure i haven t seen in CPP. Overall it s a great patchpack and i thanks Vaulters and All PAtchers involved. (it s not as stable as CPP though, make savegames happens weekly is a good safety mesure against some crash that can happen on some game...)
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Just stated to mess around with it, trying the features. The better daylenght sounds good, have to try it, no more messing with cheat to turn back dates.
Only DB XL is somehow not working...:cry: Hope dutchtrains2 can replace it for me.
It does work, but accidentally had set it to artic climate.

Edit: Would it be possible to raise the maximum GRF amount? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... =0#p894743
I think it's relatively easy to include it?
dbkblk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dbkblk »

Hi !

Multiupload link is offline and i cannot access to any download link using rusfolder.com. Can anyone make a mirror please ?

Thanks,
Kraks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kraks »

Return to “OpenTTD Development”