Improved trees patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Improved trees patch

Post by Wolf01 »

Hello friends, I made a new little patch
improved_trees.patch
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
This patch features the following things:
  • Improved grouping of trees with the "improved" algorithm selected, from 0=disabled, up to 32 tiles with steps of 4 (shorter steps didn't make enough variation)
  • Max tree height (+/-4 random to not have a straight line), also called baldy mountains
  • Evergreen line height (+/-4 random because I liked it)
All these settings are valid only for the automatic tile loop and map generation, no current settings for manual building.

The improved grouping scans for the nearest tree in the map and tries to plant the same type of tree, allowing to have groves of same tree type.
This setting could be heavy on low end machines, so don't put a high value if you take ages to generate a 256*256 map :P

The evergreen line height tries to plant sub arctic trees above that line, and temperate trees below.
This mean that in sub arctic maps you should keep this setting lower or equal of the line height, because temperate trees don't have snow graphics. The GUI should handle this, at least in the world generation.

The max tree height instead blocks the placement of trees above that height, allowing for clean mountain tops, better if used in combination with the "rocks on mountain tops patch" which I'll write in future ;)

And now... some pictures for entertainment

Gallery...
Attachments
Original algorithm
Original algorithm
original.png (419.76 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Improved with 16x setting
Improved with 16x setting
16.png (485.06 KiB) Viewed 202 times
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Improved trees patch

Post by luxtram »

I have not tried it, but from your pictures it looks pretty realistic. Well done!
Wolf01 wrote: "rocks on mountain tops patch" which I'll write in future ;)
Hmm, and glaciers...
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250

Return to “OpenTTD Development”