[patch] Clipboard (a/k/a "Copy and Paste")

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Clipboard (a/k/a "Copy and Paste")

Post by Gremnon »

Whos - assuming you are on a Windows based PC, please use the link in my signature marked THIS PAGE.
It is written in English, but whether through a translator or if you can understand it yourself, it will explain how to compile by yourself. You need only follow the directions it gives exactly as it gives them.

If you are not using Windows, and are instead using Linux or Mac OSX, there are similar pages on that site for them, which can be found using the search on the left bar of that site.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

THIS PAGE doesn't always fix everyone's problems, there are many OS specific problems that sometimes slow users down. And not all users actually are able to follow the guide step-by-step, not because they are whiny, but because that isn't the easiest guide to follow. Quoting from THIS PAGE itself:
THIS PAGE wrote:If you cannot compile, don't panic. Sometimes it may be due to coding errors.
I have also linked to every major OS's compiling tutorial in my sig. I trust that people will find it.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

True - but you also never know until you try. I've seen a lot of people who don't, or won't, try at all, and rely on other people to provide binaries because they're not willing to learn how to install a few small things, and type a few commands. Or, are terrified of using the command line. Or <insert excuse here>.
Which is why I prefer to link people to the pages explaining how to.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Well, leaving it in your sig (which is quite rudely said ;)) will be enough, I have followed your example and used this template for my sig (if you want the BBCode for it, just message me):
Compiling on Windows, MinGW | Compiling on Windows, MSVC++ 2008 | Compiling on Mac | Compiling on Linux
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

At the risk of continuing off topic even longer... I'll leave it as it is for now.
And I do know it's slightly on the rude side. I've gotten a bit annoyed at just how many users are too lazy to learn.

NOW!
With that OT-ness done...
Can I ask what the last revision of trunk this works with is?
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Copy and Paste doesn't have a latest trunk version, actually. The only 'latest' version there is, is the 0.7.3 version by Bilbo. This is the latest trunk build I could find.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Drat.
Oh well, I'll merely sit and watch for now then. I haven't got any patience at the moment for mucking around in patches.
Maybe another time.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

I suspect adf88 is still working hard on completely reworking the status/GUI/code for copy paste, but I don't know when a release is planned.
Whos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whos »

Gremnon wrote:many users are too lazy to learn
I'm not lazy! I not wish you: try to do something completely if you don't know about this and use the descriptions in a language if you understand him poorly ..
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Whos is trying, I only today got an error report of the process.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Whos, I'm sorry, I didn't actually mean you by that - but if you have a look on the forums, specifically in this section, there are a fair number of posts by members whinging they can't/won't learn.
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

I dont understand why this is not being worked more intensively on. I know The dev's says its unlikely to ever hit trunk! Which i dont understand, since its in allmost All the custom patch-packs... This shows to mé that there is the need and the interest for it! I just hope it wil stil get worked ón, keep it up!
TDH
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

You have to consider the fact that people do this voluntarily. They give up their free time for it.
Also, not all custom patch packs have it, IIRC, only a handful actually do - and mine won't support it lightly, and without a lot of changes.
Maybe people do want it - but if people want it, it takes but a few moments to learn how to compile it yourself, and from there, just a little work, and you can add your own patches to that as well.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Torben Paw wrote:The dev's says its unlikely to ever hit trunk! Which i dont understand, since its in allmost All the custom patch-packs..
You should read the original Copy & Paste thread. The developers have A LOT of really interesting things to say about the reason this patch isn't going into trunk. Basically, its extrememly buggy, hard to support, and finally, what's the point of OpenTTD if you are just going to be Copy & Pasting?
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

Wolf i know its hard and my post was meant as an encouragement (spelled?) no pun intended:-)

Petert I've read everything on templates/copy and paste both the arguments for it not to be included and the reasons for it to be in it! when u build big networks where u have perhaps 200 stations are exactly alike its pretty usefull! That is why i still hang by a build thats probably a year old i Can expanded my giant network! But im missing out on so many new features:-(

and its irritating changing between so many builds depending ón what u wanna play...
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Yes, but patches aren't always just to play with, they are made with a goal to get into trunk (usually, not always). That's why we have patchpacks. Here is a list of all known patchpacks: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45869
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

A little note, that will be announced in my own pack's thread later when I've finished experimenting. This patch will not, despite popular demand, be appearing in my pack.
You'll have to wait until I give a news update on my pack for the reasons.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Gremnon wrote:A little note, that will be announced in my own pack's thread later when I've finished experimenting. This patch will not, despite popular demand, be appearing in my pack.
You'll have to wait until I give a news update on my pack for the reasons.
Experimenting? So if it works, why not add it to your patch pack?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Firstly, my experimenting is basically one or two patches at the same time, never the complete pack. I test them to see what problems arise in using them together, and make predictions for when I move onto doing three or more at once.
Secondly... please read the news post I just made in my pack's thread.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

Damn, what a mess... Please don't make such big off-topics!

Anyway, I'm back :) I had a "little" brake in the clipboard patch but now I'm getting back to work.

You can download now a source code (first post).
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches

Return to “OpenTTD Development”