Really basic help needed (Compiling with Mingw)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Norfolkadam
Engineer
Engineer

Really basic help needed (Compiling with Mingw)

Post by Norfolkadam »

So I've got through all the instructions on the wiki page and I get to the final bit about how to compile OTTD and I'm just a little bit gormless about it. I've never really done anything that's involved compiling before.

Can someone just very basically tell me which sourcecode I need to download for the latest nightly version, what to write where it says ~/trunk and anything else I should know if I'm just following the instructions.

Thanks in advance. :oops:
Helmland - The English and Danish island in the North Sea
Norfolkadam
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Really basic help needed (Compiling with Mingw)

Post by Norfolkadam »

Ah dear. Worked it out all by myself. I'm such a dunce when it comes to these things.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Great you figured it out. It'd be really helpful for other people if you could clarify those bits on the wiki you didn't understand at first. It's a lot easier to do that when you just figured it out than when you already know how it works. That might seem contradictory, but if you've know for a long time how it works it's hard to spot those parts that are incomprehensible for new people.
Norfolkadam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Norfolkadam »

Yexo wrote:Great you figured it out. It'd be really helpful for other people if you could clarify those bits on the wiki you didn't understand at first. It's a lot easier to do that when you just figured it out than when you already know how it works. That might seem contradictory, but if you've know for a long time how it works it's hard to spot those parts that are incomprehensible for new people.
I'll probably do that if I get a chance tomorrow.

The main gap in the wiki is between setting up Mingw and then compiling the files. I'll make it so that it explains exactly what to download, what to extract, what root you need because "~/trunk" isn't really much use if you have no programming background. I actually typed in ~/trunk that an utter fool.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I have updated the last steps of the tutorial a bit and I think they are more understandable now (truth is they were not updated after a lot of changes in the rest of the tutorial). Any further clarifications or required additions to the tutorial will be welcome :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”