Signals in tunnels and on bridges V3.02 r24031

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

eastpath
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Signals in tunnels and on bridges V3.02 r24031

Post by eastpath »

I got your great patch compiled and running on a Raspberry Pi http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1029917
Living proof that you're never too old to play!
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Hello,
I've added the patch manually to the r24418 and Compiled get an error in the rail_cmd.cpp, has anyone experience with this error:

This patch would be very interesting for the subway.
Attachments
signalfehler.jpg
signalfehler.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 7490 times
MfG Streckenläufer
OpenTTD V1.7.1, r27930 - Trafficlight - Bridge/tunnel Signals - Watertunnel - HousePlacing - SeaplaneAirport - Clipboard - Win7 64bit - MinGW/msys
!Sorry for my google English translator!
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

get the part at r24434 simply not up and running shows ever, and Draw bool error at compile time. Does this experience. I suspect that a double bool = variable is present.
MfG Streckenläufer
OpenTTD V1.7.1, r27930 - Trafficlight - Bridge/tunnel Signals - Watertunnel - HousePlacing - SeaplaneAirport - Clipboard - Win7 64bit - MinGW/msys
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The error means that you use a "cost" variable, which does not exist.

Quite likely, the variable existed in the program when the patch was written, and that part of the code has been changed between then and now. SVN can tell you what changed in the file. You have to change the patch as well.
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Thanks, I'll continue trying.
MfG Streckenläufer
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Because the patch is (while convenient - I always play with it) something of a hack, and has some irritating bugs. Trunk would need at least a more polished version of the current idea, or ideally a way to actually place signals in tunnels, rather than simulate them in a way that causes various problems.

EDIT: I believe one of the posts above may have been edited, this one no longer makes any sense :? .
Last edited by FLHerne on 27 Jul 2012 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

FLHerne, I totally agree!
MfG Streckenläufer
wjhulzebosch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wjhulzebosch »

I had an idea about signals in tunnels etc. and i was wondering if it could be done.

Instead of rewriting OTTD entirely to allow for signals in tunnels and on bridges, couldn't we write something that lets the trains decide wether to go on or to stop? We have path signals; they see if a block until the next signal is free. Couldn't we just change this in "check if the next tile is free"? That way, we wouldn't even need signals anymore, maybe just to create one-way tracks...

Maybe a stupid idea, but if this could be done, a whole lot of problems would be solved and i would need a lot less signals :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what you describe is the behaviour of road vehicles.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

wjhulzebosch wrote:I had an idea about signals in tunnels etc. and i was wondering if it could be done.

Instead of rewriting OTTD entirely to allow for signals in tunnels and on bridges, couldn't we write something that lets the trains decide wether to go on or to stop? We have path signals; they see if a block until the next signal is free. Couldn't we just change this in "check if the next tile is free"? That way, we wouldn't even need signals anymore, maybe just to create one-way tracks...

Maybe a stupid idea, but if this could be done, a whole lot of problems would be solved and i would need a lot less signals :)
While in-cab signalling and automatic train control systems have existed since the early 1900s, there is no unified standard, nor do all trains companies use them even today. Track-side signalling is still required on the majority of railroad systems.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I don't think he wanted to know if it was possible in real life (ie. realistic), but rather in the game.

Indeed, it is possible, and probably rather simple (since, as Eddi just stated, it is pretty much how road vehicles work). However, where is the fun in that ? Plus, if you had to change all tracks to one-way tracks, there would probably be some problems at junctions, and I don't know how you would display it in the game.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Hello,

I tried to insert (by hand) in the signaltunnel_V3.02_r24031.patch to r24521.
Get an error message when you compile but as indicated in the picture.

Can someone do something with it and tell me which this "signale_side" is linked?
Attachments
fehler_1.jpg
fehler_1.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
fehler_2.jpg
fehler_2.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
MfG Streckenläufer
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

as far as i can see, it has been renamed to "train_signal_side" (see src/table/settings.ini)
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

WOW Eddi, if I would not have you, it works, thank you
Last edited by Streckenläufer on 15 Sep 2012 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
MfG Streckenläufer
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Would it be possible to post that new version?
Maybe donate it to the original author via PM so (s)he can doublecheck it and then release it?
Because I really like to use this patch in a newer version of OpenTTD (everything newer from r24402) as that has some bugfixes for some GRF's I made.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Hello

I have entered all patches by hand, usually vote no longer the line numbers or variables have changed (see above for Eddi)

Now, I'm going the signaltunnel.patch in the r24524 a bank setting. Problems really only the language file (String1) (string2) if I this comment from the english.txt remove and compiling then it goes again, otherwise I get a language error as often described.
I also get error when I insert the text in the german.txt. Here, the STR_ STRINGS cause me problems. Is a lot of Fummel work.
MfG Streckenläufer
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Hello

tried the signaltunnel_V3.02_r24031.patch in the r24530M to insert.
Works so far, very good, get when opening from OpenTTD this message in the main window (see annex 1)

When I click Advanced settings > design > signals click, is a crash with the error section 2 (see annex 2).

Maybe someone on this error has a tip! what strings could be meant?
Attachments
Anzeige_1.jpg
Anzeige_1.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
signalfehler_1.jpg
signalfehler_1.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
MfG Streckenläufer
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

The extra descriptions in the advanced settings window (that appear at the bottom when clicking a setting to highlight it) were added in a revision after the patch, if I'm not mistaken. You'll probably need to add the description if it's missing from the advanced setting(s) introduced by this patch.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

Hello
It was as always the strings in the German language file and a + in the settings.gui, running again in the r24532
MfG Streckenläufer
FaantBoy501
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FaantBoy501 »

Hello All,

I also have been trying to apply this Signal in Tunnel patch, but with little succes. Am not an expert at this, sadly, but I managed to use TortoiseSVN 1.7.9 and OpenTTD Trunk R24534.
When I try to apply the patch itself, it gives me around 5 faulty messages. But I really don't have a clue how to solve this. Maybe someone can help me out with this. Thx in advance.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”