multiple installs?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

multiple installs?

Post by jimbob »

I've finally got myself a linux machine and finding it much easier to build from source including some patch packs. However is there a way to install multiple versions of ottd?
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: multiple installs?

Post by planetmaker »

Don't install them in a classical sense. But simply get the zip for installation and unpack it in a separate folder. That way you can have as many installs as you can have folders.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Is that a flag in make? Will those install folders yield a proper install so it is registered as an application?
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

OTTD doesn't have a way to make builds that install as separate applications, that would be automatically picked up by a desktop environment, no.

All there is is the ability to run as a portable application, where the configuration data are located next to the binary, instead of in a homedir location. This is usually triggered by having an openttd.cfg file next to the main binary, it can be an empty file on the first start to bootstrap a portable install.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”