S60v3 port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Re: S60v3 port

Post by wolf »

New build has been uploaded.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Nice work, I'll throw it on my phone and check it out.

Edit: This runs nicely, world generation has been flawless (and quicker than I initially expected!). Also, the right mouse button disabling the currently active tool issue I noticed seems to be gone.

Any chance we can start getting interface tweaks and support for the various extra keys phones have? The n95's media buttons on the left hand side of the slide would be very useful candidates to replace as the mouse buttons, fumbling with the dpad and left and right buttons when drawing at 320x240 in landscape is very very awkward :). The volume up and down buttons perhaps could be overtaken for map zoom in/out (perhaps more useful then having them behave as volume keys).

Network support would also be handy, I'm hoping to be able to (when I get my n810) use the n810 as the main viewport and controls, with the n95 as a seccond viewport for following certain details. I'd imagine it as being very useful for checking on the status of a running internet MP game aswell, during lunch break at work, or such.

Thanks again for all the work, this has made me very very glad I went with an S60v3 phone instead of all of those cheaper ones ;).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Aegir wrote:The n95's media buttons on the left hand side of the slide would be very useful candidates to replace as the mouse buttons
These buttons (and volume keys too) are handled completly different than the rest of keys, due to some idiotic symbian design decision. This makes using them a little hard, but I will look what can be done here.
fumbling with the dpad and left and right buttons when drawing at 320x240 in landscape is very very awkward :).
Try using the 1, 3, 7, 9 keys.
The volume up and down buttons perhaps could be overtaken for map zoom in/out (perhaps more useful then having them behave as volume keys).
That has been already done (but isn't released yet).
Network support would also be handy, I'm hoping to be able to (when I get my n810) use the n810 as the main viewport and controls, with the n95 as a seccond viewport for following certain details. I'd imagine it as being very useful for checking on the status of a running internet MP game aswell, during lunch break at work, or such.
Networking support is on the TODO list, but with fairly low priority.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Ahh, in landscape view on the N95, you have the media keys on the left, and the number pad is hidden behind the screen. But good to know these things are being worked on :).

I had a feeling the media buttons wouldn't be trivial to access, a lot of their functions seem the sort that would be hardcoded (In a manner of speaking) to set functions outside of the currently running app.

Map generation does indeed work fine, but I'm starting to run into an issue with newgrf loading that (And it doesn't reveal anything useful in openttd.txt) causes the game to crash. My guess is it's running out of memory. I generally load AV8, UKRS and it's addon, newships, and a test version of Pikkabirds' HOVS, but when trying to add things like landscape graphics replacers and station sets it crashes. It's a bit hard to do a .grf by .grf test to see which .grf or how many exactly load with OpenTTD's long loading times.

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

What do you think would be the best mapping of multimedia keys? Does N95 support only landscape 90 orientation (counter clockwise from portrait), or does it also support landscape 270 (clockwise from portrait)?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I've been pondering over that. Basicly, the n95 can behave like any ordinary slider, screen slides up, keypad underneath. But, you turn it 90 degrees anti-clockwise and slide the slider all the way to the right, and you have (from top to bottom), Next Track, Play/Pause, Stop, and Previous track. These buttons tend to work irrespective of what applications are open and control the music player.

As for what buttons to map them to? Bottom most button, previous track, should be left mouse button (matches the position the left select key is on the main buttons when it's turned 90 degrees to the right), and the next track should be right mouse button. Not an intuitive key layout, you wouldn't look at 'previous track' and think it's a mouse button, but its functional for playing two handed without tying your thumbs together in a knot. The two middle buttons could be perhaps mapped to something useful as well, I cannot think of anything off the top of my head.

We also have the C and pencil buttons on most new Nokia phones that could be mapped to something.

Also, one thing, as far as the UI is concerned that could be useful, is a hotkey to close the top most toolbar (say, rail building, or landscaping toolbar), and two buttons put asside for just selecting left and right on the top-most toolbar the active 'tool'. Pretty much anything you can think of to eliminate as much mouse movement as possible. Mouse is functional, but not too fun on a mobile phone :).

And yes, N95 only does landscape 320x240 when turned anti-clockwise, and the media keys part of the slider is revealed. It can be slid back under the screen so that neither the media keys or the number pad are exposed (That seems like a waste of perfectly useful keys, though), but then as soon as you slide the number pad out, you go back to 240x320 portrait mode.

Zimeon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zimeon »

Wow, this is the second coolest thing found yet! After open ttd ofcourse :p It would be nice to get only one install package for this as i was unable to get this thing working with my E90. Would be cool to try this thing out with 800x352resolution :D Or perhaps i just couldn't understand how to install this baby. Ow well, still hope you get the time to develope this :D
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

New build has been uploaded. Changes:
- Updated to revision 12272.
- "Accept call" button will no longer enable virtual SDL mouse.
- Always use native screen resolution ("-r ...x..." is no longer needed).
- Volume up/down keys act as zoom out/in.
- Icon added.

The multimedia keys on N95 are not accessible to applications, so there probably never be support for them.
t0mcioo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by t0mcioo »

wolf,
this app can help You make screenshoots on s60v3: http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/28313/

Anyway - good project - I'll test it in few days when i'll have more time.
~/ ):( gallery
"...sometimes the sound of goodbye is louder than any drum beat..."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

wolf wrote:The multimedia keys on N95 are not accessible to applications, so there probably never be support for them.
That's a pity, thanks for looking into it, though :).

And cheers for the new build, downloading right now ;).

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

t0mcioo wrote:this app can help You make screenshoots on s60v3: http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/28313/
For screenshots I use this application: http://www.antonypranata.com/screenshot. However, for the OpenTTD "screenshots" I prefer photos, as they are proof that it's really working on the device ;)

I have also attached screenshot of the newest feature.
Attachments
PNG support
PNG support
png.png (50.06 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

This has got to be one of the coolest things ever, if I could only get it to work on my N95 8 Gb! When I start it up I get the parameter prompt but any text I input is invisible, and when I think I have the resolution command in the program returns back to the applications menu. Any
suggestions?

ETA, I did get this to run, but now I can't scroll across the screen to see all the menus and buttons, the resolution is too high and the screen does not slew with the cursor, so the cursor will just disappear if I scroll it off the screen. Strange.

Also, how does one apply the various patches?
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Passing resolution is no longer needed, as it is now autodetected by game. Returning to menu immediately after the parameters prompt may be caused either by passing wrong parameters (game will show help (to the console, so nothing will be visible) and exit) or by missing game data files.

The screen is just what is visible, so no panning. You can however move the cursor off screen and try to press buttons that are hidden.

I don't know what do you mean by applying patches. If you want to update build to the newest one just redownload sisx file and reinstall it on the phone. If you want to apply patches available here on the forums, you need to have sources, patch them and make a build yourself, which requires a little knowledge about symbian build system.
Zimeon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zimeon »

Finally got it working =] Had some trouble reading the first post it seams :D Anyways the game works great on my E90! Now i know what do do while at work ;) Below are a few pictures of the game on the phone. Still i got a few questions.

1) Is the pointer supposed to go outside the screen?`Mean as i put it to scroll at the edges of the screen but it does go outside it so the scroll doesn't work at the side of screen unless i point it exactly at the end.

2) How does one apply the patches you've created? Didn't really figure that one out :D

Keep up the good work sofar! :bow:

http://www.emurre.com/Kuva004.jpg
http://www.emurre.com/Kuva005.jpg :D
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Zimeon wrote:Finally got it working =]1) Is the pointer supposed to go outside the screen?`Mean as i put it to scroll at the edges of the screen but it does go outside it so the scroll doesn't work at the side of screen unless i point it exactly at the end.
Yes, that's as it supposed to be. This is to overcome the problem with big windows not fitting on the 320x240 display. You can scroll the map by pressing 7 or 9 and using directional keys.
2) How does one apply the patches you've created? Didn't really figure that one out :D
Preferably you should use git-am command, but I don't suppose many people would know how to use it, so you can still use the old fashioned way. In openttd source root directory (the one with bin, docs, media, os, project, src directories) do

Code: Select all

patch -p1 < filename.patch
for all patches provided. I don't suppose it will work for 0045-Encapsulated-svg-icon-into-mif-file-mifconv-opent.patch, which seems to be binary patch specific to git. You can however easily recreate the file it adds by using

Code: Select all

mifconv openttd.mif openttd.s60.svg
command.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

wolf wrote: The screen is just what is visible, so no panning. You can however move the cursor off screen and try to press buttons that are hidden.
That seems very peculiar, how for instance do I then select the many other options that are not inside the screen area? Here's what I get:

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

koalorka wrote:That seems very peculiar, how for instance do I then select the many other options that are not inside the screen area?
The game options window can be moved by grabbing its bar. Some other windows cannot be moved and you have to aim blindly at the not visible buttons.
koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

Any fix to this problem in the future? It's just very awkward and limited not being able to pan around.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Only if GUI is fixed so it would fit in such small resolutions.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”