S60v3 port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

zacharyramone
Engineer
Engineer

Re: S60v3 port

Post by zacharyramone »

is there any way i can get this game without accsess to a computer?
N3G4T1v3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by N3G4T1v3 »

SO, I got OpenTTD to run on my nokia E63, but I'm having graphic glitches
On start up the screen flashes black a few times, then to show the loading bar, figured that is probably normal, not sure, but it doesn't matter much

The real problem is that when in the game or menu, the screen distorts every few seconds (I don't have a second phone or camera to take a picture to show you guys, so I'll attempt to explain, lol)
The image looks like it has torn in two, leaving blank lines between the displayed image where the other "half" was, but both these "halve" are displayed, so you see two of the same image on the screen, like the image has been duplicated, but share only the one set of pixels from the original image (if this makes any sense at all)
The image does return to normal, for a few seconds, and does it again, the game is unplayable like that

Also, I have no idea how to get the screen to scroll with the mouse pointer, it just goes off screen
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

N3G4T1v3 wrote:Also, I have no idea how to get the screen to scroll with the mouse pointer, it just goes off screen
In the advanced settings you can set that the window should pan when the mouse is at the edge. With that enabled, I can scroll left and right on my N8 without problems, but down is a bit of a pain and up doesn't seem to work at all.

On a sidenote: the port works on Symbian^3, even without installing the three libraries (it said those were incompatible, but it doesn't seem to need them either). Having that said, it's very difficult to control the game with these tiny buttons and my big fingers. Hooking a mouse to my phone made it a bit more playable, but then the screen is still very small. Now the N8 can be hooked to a tv, but then I might just as well boot up the computer and use that instead.

So in conclusion the Symbian port itself is a great achievement, but due to the nature of the game and the size of a phone it's hardly playable. Technically it works, but practically it's not workable.

Still, kudos to Wolf for making this possible in the first place.
For me I'm afraid it's nothing more than a reason to try using a mouse with my phone.
N3G4T1v3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by N3G4T1v3 »

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, I also discovered that holding the Right soft key and using the D-pad moves the map, rather handy

As for playability on a phone, I know what you mean, but it was more the attempt of trying to get it to work on my phone, and knowing that it is possible
It is really amazing that it is able to work on a phone, really impressed. Kudos to Wolf
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

N3G4T1v3 wrote:I also discovered that holding the Right soft key and using the D-pad moves the map, rather handy
That should make scrolling a lot easier. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, as the N8 doesn't have a d-pad. It has at most three reconfigurable buttons.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

FooBar wrote:On a sidenote: the port works on Symbian^3, even without installing the three libraries
These are preinstalled in S60v5 and later devices. Maybe even some S60v3 (that n-gage crap was using them).
So in conclusion the Symbian port itself is a great achievement, but due to the nature of the game and the size of a phone it's hardly playable. Technically it works, but practically it's not workable.
Yup.
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

alrighty! I can cofirm it working great on n8, no need for the libraries.
Is there any chance at all multitouch can be supported?
Pinch for zoom and two fingers for scroll? It whould make it totally playable. If not maybe the short camera botton can be used so that while pressed the touching pans the screen?
:P
MRC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MRC »

Hi Guys

I was enjoying an earlier version of this on my 5800 for a while with it working quite well apart from most of the AI's not working.

I had to format my SD card very recently and since then have tried to recover my installation of OpenTTD with varying levels of success.
When formatting and resetting my phone, it lost the installation of the program itself, but not the files which I was able to recover. That meant that I had to re-install from the .sisx.

I came back here to get the latest version (18404), duly installed and everything seemed to be working hunkey dorey until I noticed that none of the AI cars would ever be released from the depots- they'd be built and then they'd sit there until the maintenance costs bankrupted the AI. I then tried to access the online content server to update the AIs- it connects to the net and then throws me out saying "could not connect to content server". I then tried to manually download the AI updates and I placed the .tar files and the librarys in the correct folders but the game won't recognise them- they just don't appear in the list of available AIs.

Is there any way of checking the settings for connecting to the content server as that would be first prize? I'm running the phone with no firewalls, no proxies, nothing like that- just a direct connection to the net (though it takes a few seconds to connect to 3.5g when a program tries to access the net).

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks Wolf and anyone else involved- this port has brought me many hours of entertainment when things have been slow at work!
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

r18404 is old. Most current AIs are written for a newer version of the API, which means they don't work in an old version like that any more.
MRC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MRC »

Mkay, so if I go for an older version of the AI it should work to just slot it in the folder then.
Will give it a try!

Doesn't address the content server, but that's possibly something on my side somehow...

Shot for the reply
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I can confirm that the content server works with the r18404 on the Nokia N8.
If you can't get a list of things to download, you might want to check the internet connectivity on your device. If you have trouble installing downloaded content, then check if you can save files yourself in that particular folder: if you aren't allowed to save anything there, OpenTTD surely can't either.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

MRC wrote:I then tried to access the online content server to update the AIs- it connects to the net and then throws me out saying "could not connect to content server".
This is due to the way networking is implemented on Symbian (that is, the way BSD sockets are implemented). System code is buggy, doesn't follow spec, and you don't get fixes, because Nokia doesn't give a s*** about that. Content server should be generally working (ie. depends on the sun flares and moon phase, see above), if that old S60 version is still supported by the server.
MRC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MRC »

Hmmm, the N8 isn't S60 5th? I thought it was using another OS.
I've tried via my dsl at home (over wifi on my phone) and 3g with no luck at all so not sure what's up.

That said, I've managed to get a few ai's installed, but it's just a mission to figure out what libraries (and versions of the libraries) they need if you're doing it manually.

Might also have something to do with the wonky ISPs we have here in SA. They aren't all too competent and sometimes block unknown ports for kicks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

No, the N8 is Symbian^3, but it runs most S60 5th programs.

Maybe the easiest solution is to get r18404 on your computer as well. Then use that to download what you want to use on your phone. After that, just copy the content_download directory from your computer to your phone and you're good to go.
MRC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MRC »

This man has a good plan!
Seeing as I'm having issues getting these dependencies sorted out, your method seems to be the most straightforward and idiot-proof.

Though this idiot would appear to be fairly good at destroying the plans.
I've had a look through the archive of nightly builds and there's 18400 and 18411 but no 18404 :/
http://gb.binaries.openttd.org/binaries ... index.html

Am I simply looking in the wrong location?
And installing that is simply ca case of 7zip it to get the files and hopefully there should be an .exe which runs?
I'll be running it in Win7 so i'm unfamiliar with linux commands etc.

Your help is much appreciated, thanks
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Both of those versions are close enough, try either of them. And yes, simply extract the zip file and run the enclosed exe.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The only caveat is that only the last ~3 months of nightlies contain prebuilt binaries, the older ones only have the sources which you would need to compile.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I still have a r17146 sitting around. That's less close, but with a bit of luck also close enough.

Before starting this old revision on your computer, I recommend creating an empty openttd.cfg file in the directory where openttd.exe sits. That way everything you do with this old revision is kept separate from your current openttd installation. That gives you a clean content_download that you can copy to your phone.
Attachments
openttd-trunk-r17146-windows-win32.zip
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
MRC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MRC »

Thanks guys, your assistance with this is greatly appreciated!

I'll give that version a go when I get home- managed to get some of the AIs working through trial-and-error with the various versions going by the date that the updates were posted on the forum but some of them don't give any errors but do strange things like buy busses and then never release them from the depot or build everything it needs for a road network and then just sits back and doesn't populate it.Quite interesting to tr figure out what the issues are!

I ended up just copying all libraries over as that made it easier to not have to figure out what was or wasn't working with what. Makes the loading time a bit longer on the phone though :/
tsgulen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tsgulen »

Hi guys,

I'm also a fan of TTD, I used to play it on my 486 PC.
As far as I understand, OpenTTD can work on Nokia N8 (Symbian^3), I want to use it on my phone, but I'm not familiar with "compiling" and other programming stuff.
can anyone share the SISX file for Nokia N8? I'll be very appreciated.
Thanks,

Return to “OpenTTD Development”