Patch: Upgrade airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

xmirakulix
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Upgrade airports

Post by xmirakulix »

Updated the patch to apply against current trunk
Attachments
airport-upgrade_r22525.diff
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
xmirakulix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xmirakulix »

Updated to current trunk
Attachments
airport-upgrade_r22958.diff
(12.11 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
MAG101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MAG101 »

possible get this with along close airport in the trunk in time for openttd 1.2.0?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
MAG101 wrote:possible get this with along close airport in the trunk in time for openttd 1.2.0?
No, no new features were added when the first beta of the next stable version is released. You have to wait for adding it to trunk.

Tschö, Auge
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

incorrect, trunk will be 'mirrored' until 1.2 is branched off, i.e. with the first release candidate (1.2.0-RC1)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Kraks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kraks »

If
Lord Aro wrote:incorrect, trunk will be 'mirrored' until 1.2 is branched off, i.e. with the first release candidate (1.2.0-RC1)
Then
MAG101 wrote:possible get this with along close airport in the trunk in time for openttd 1.2.0?
:bow:
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

trunk is intended to be branched shortly. I doubt it. :L
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Kraks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kraks »

Ehh... One more year... :(
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

You are way too optimistic.

This patch is short and adds exactly one simple, useful, unobtrusive feature, and yet is already 4 years and 12000 revisions old. I do not think its chances of going into trunk will be higher in the next year.

The flyspray task for this patch can provide some insight into its history and my thoughts about it.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v7-r23992.diff
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

*reads*

So, basically, what's holding this up is a) a "close airport" patch that one developer doesn't think does enough for players, and b) the NewGRF Airports project which still hasn't taken off?

C'mon, devs! What's wrong with you?? :mrgreen:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

kamnet wrote:C'mon, devs! What's wrong with you?? :mrgreen:
a) is most certainly waiting on b) as well.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

FooBar wrote:
kamnet wrote:C'mon, devs! What's wrong with you?? :mrgreen:
a) is most certainly waiting on b) as well.
Yeah, that could be the case...

...if only this patch didn't predate the NewGRF airport spec by about two years.

Even if this were the case, I don't know if it makes sense to withhold a feature just because it is remotely related to some vague plans for the future. And, honestly, I think that the part of the NewGRF airport spec that deals with airport overbuilding will have limited used in practice except for very particular situations, so this patch would still be useful.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Rebased against current trunk. A recent commit has forced me to rewrite part of the patch, so use with care.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v7-r24355.diff
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
xmirakulix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xmirakulix »

Updated to current trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v7-r25234.diff
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

*bumps*

Six yeas, and still no inclusion, still new NewGRF Airports either. It's time to get this implemented, because it WILL be an improvement, and if NewGRF Airports does come along, then if that's an improvement we can implement that instead. This issue should be raised again, and if it's not accepted then it's just pure silliness on the dev's part.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Did you want to reply to richk's thread? This is about replacing an existing airport, which is already easier because of the already included close airport patch.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

bokkie wrote:Did you want to reply to richk's thread? This is about replacing an existing airport, which is already easier because of the already included close airport patch.
No, he almost certainly wants to reply to this one, which is made much more useful by the patch you mention (this needs the airport being overbuilt to be empty, which that patch makes possible). You might want to consider that they were written by the same author.
Just because one feature is introduced doesn't make all other similar features unnecessary.

I'd support Kamnet's opinion - there's no sign of NewGRF airports any time soon, and this patch's behaviour would work quite reasonably for complete ones anyway. If tile-based airport construction ever gets written, removing that behaviour would be trivial compared to rewriting everything else connected to airports. :P
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Now that the Close Airport button is implemented and working, I see no reason to delay the inclusion of this patch anymore.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

kamnet wrote:Six yeas, and still no inclusion, still new NewGRF Airports either. It's time to get this implemented, because it WILL be an improvement, and if NewGRF Airports does come along, then if that's an improvement we can implement that instead.
Note that this patch cannot possibly interfere with newgrf airports in any way, despite some people' insistence: This patch adds no new game state whatsoever so, if at any point in the distant future something related to newgrf airports does get implemented and happens to clash with airport overbuilding, then this patch can be reverted with no ill effects.
FLHerne wrote:
bokkie wrote:Did you want to reply to richk's thread? This is about replacing an existing airport, which is already easier because of the already included close airport patch.
No, he almost certainly wants to reply to this one, which is made much more useful by the patch you mention (this needs the airport being overbuilt to be empty, which that patch makes possible). You might want to consider that they were written by the same author.
Just because one feature is introduced doesn't make all other similar features unnecessary.
The best part of this story is that, before my patch to close airports got merged, airport overbuilding was not considered for inclusion because it was deemed useless without being able to close airports [1]; now that airports can be closed, it is felt that, as a consequence, there is less of a need for airport overbuilding [2].
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there's almost nothing more creative than devs finding reasons not to include patches :p

Return to “OpenTTD Development”