Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by weaselboy246 »

I've had a similar moment like that. One time I tried to destroy a building in a town, but wasn't allowed then the game crashed. Couldn't reproduce it so didn't report it before. That was on the latest.
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Yeahh, it's very weird when random crashes occur :shock:

It's very nice that you are planning to make support for memory expansion cards in the future Dominik :D
You are doing a very god job :D!
keep it up!
This is the best DS port in my opinion!
:D
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
Over 16000 levels to solve!!!!!
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

It's a very early development-version of the port so random crashes are likely to happen ;)
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Moonshell can play midi files and maybe it will be easier to make a midi lib for Open TTD DS with help of that source?!?! :)
The rythm is okej, but some instruments is out of pitch!
But it plays on several channels simultaneously!

Here's the link to the moonshell downloads: http://mdxonline.dyndns.org/archives/20 ... 1_dl.shtml
Attachments
moonshell171_sources.7z
Moonshell sources!
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

BastarB wrote:Moonshell can play midi files and maybe it will be easier to make a midi lib for Open TTD DS with help of that source?!?! :)
Thanks for the link. I did look through the source, but I can't find anything about midi playback in there. I *think* it is a plugin for Moonshell which provides the midi playback ability. But I can't find the source code of that plugin. Anyhow, moonshell uses the ARM9 to play midi files but what I need is a ARM7 player. For now I've given up on midi playback. I hope that someone with more experiece with PSG sounds will make a midi lib.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Okej Dominik, but I think that music isn't the most important thing in this kind of game! :)
But you have manage to get sound effects working? Right?
If I where an experienced programmer i would gladly help, but I have only learned some basics in Python
and I can't give any help! :(
It's really a shame that the DS doesn't have a working midi lib!
:( :(
I will take look to find out if it is a plugin in moonshell or whatever else it could be?!'

Edit: Attached an compressed file with what I think is the midiplugin used in Moonshell, I took the files from "moonshellpluginv51sdk" But I think you already checked it out?! :?
But as you said, it looks like it's
written for the Arm9 Processor :?
Attachments
Midiplugins.rar
This compressed file cointains all the plugins used in Moonshell I think?!
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Indiana
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Indiana »

Great work!
Thats genius to port OpenTTD to the DS.
I can't wait for the next update!
Have a N.I.C.E. day!
Indiana
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

dominik81 wrote:Thanks for the link. I did look through the source, but I can't find anything about midi playback in there.
opentyrian has builtin FM synthesizer used for midi playback, maybe you could take a look at it. http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Get your ears cleaned, because here it is! The sound release! This version comes mostly with sound effects and a few other fixes/features. As usual any bug reports are very welcome. Please also submit a savegame to reproduce the crash if possible.
The next version will be a major leap in playabilitd and focus on a GUI overhaul. So it might take some time till the next release.

Changelog for Alpha 5:
  • based on r12083
  • Major new feature: stereo sounds effects!
    Sounds require additional memory. Currently up to 200KB might be used for the sound samples. Therefore crashes due to memory shortage (especially on bigger maps) could be more frequent.
    Music is still not working due to the lack of a ARM7 midi library
  • sounds are also played for tiles on the border of the screen
  • config options and patch settings are now saved
  • more comprehensible error messages when files from the original game are missing
  • screenshots in BMP format are working (normal and giant)
    (the debug console won't be drawn onto a screenshot)
  • added a loading screen and a an exit screen
  • code cleanup to fit OpenTTD project structure
The download and a list of bugs which I'll keep updated is in the initial post.
- Korenn
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

OHH!!! Nice, a new release :D
Good work Dominik :D
This port is the best of the best for Nintendo DS!!!
I have not tried this release yet, but I will do it very very soon :D
woodbin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by woodbin »

Great work :] ! Do you think it will be possible to add music support ?( I Like TTD music a lot : :mrgreen:
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

woodbin wrote:Do you think it will be possible to add music support ?( I Like TTD music a lot : :mrgreen:
It's certainly possible. But not for me and not right now. I did spend about a week looking into writing a midi player, but I don't know enough about sound programming. Writing a midi lib would be a complete project on it's own and wouldn't leave me any time for the OpenTTD port. So unless someone else will write a midi player, we won't have music in OpennTTD DS for now. Another possibilty might be to convert the midi files into a different format. But the necessary infrastructure is not yet in DevkitPro (but it's scheduled for the next release.)
- Korenn
yellowstar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yellowstar »

I found a bug, with my DS-X.

This is the same bug as in the previous version, but this time it's A LOT worse. Previously, it would let it go and still load fine, but now it won't continue, stopping me from playing the game. :( (which I posted about on the gbadev topic)
There isn't any savegames on my card that I know of... I tried removing the .svn directory in the heightmaps directory, but that didn't help.

Code: Select all

Loading chunk MAPT

misc regarding memory

[Error:] Game Load Failed
Broken savegame - Invalid chunk size
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

ERROR REPORT!

This Error occured during a gameplay of OpenTTD DS the alpha 5 sound version!

I have made a savegame just before the error occurs!
I renamed it to "The Error.sav" the original name was "Wentfingpool Transport, 12th Jun 1950.sav".
It occurs when the bus (I just got one vehicle in this game) has left the busstation!
I got the same kind of error, which is a Guru meditiation error on a red screen with white text,
on the latest version of "DSOrganize" and that error occured when I was surfing the web in "DSOrganizes" web browser!
I don't know the cause of this kind of error!

Below: The error code!

Guru Meditation Error!
data abort!

pc: FFFFFFFC addr: FFFFFFFC

r0: 00000002 r8 : 022C8D58
r1: 00000001 r9 : 00002535
r2: 02364A20 r10: 000129A0
r3: 000129A8 r11: 0B00297C
r4: 00000000 r12: 02197CA8
r5: 00000001 sp : 0AFFFFD0
r6: 00000001 lr : 02095467
r7: 00002535 pc : 00000004

0AFFFFD0: 00000000 00000000
0AFFFFD8: 00000000 00000000
0AFFFFE0: 00000000 00000000
0AFFFFE8: 00000000 00000000
0AFFFFF0: 00000000 00000000
0AFFFFF8: 00000000 00000000
0B000000: 00000002 00000002
0B000008: 00000002 00000000
0B000010: 021B0514 020954C7
0B000018: 022C8D58 022C8D58

I double checked the error code which I wrote down from my DS screen so it should be correct! =)

I attached the savegame for download and also my ttdconfig file!

I have tried to produce this error on two different linkers:
On my EZ flash 5 and on my old M3 Perfect adapter!
The error occur in both of them.

Have a nice day Dominik and thanks for a great port :) !!!´

yellowstar wrote:I found a bug, with my DS-X.

This is the same bug as in the previous version, but this time it's A LOT worse. Previously, it would let it go and still load fine, but now it won't continue, stopping me from playing the game. :( (which I posted about on the gbadev topic)
There isn't any savegames on my card that I know of... I tried removing the .svn directory in the heightmaps directory, but that didn't help.

Code: Select all

Loading chunk MAPT

misc regarding memory

[Error:] Game Load Failed
Broken savegame - Invalid chunk size
This error which yellowstar describes has not occured on my EZ flash 5 linker or my M3 Perfect!
Attachments
Error during OpenTTD DS play.JPG
Error during OpenTTD DS play.JPG (76.54 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
OPENTTD.CFG
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
The Error.sav
(167.36 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Ooo, loading title screen thing and a fade effect, nice :)

Identical error occurs on R4DS default loader.
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

I don't get any error on my R4.

Me = happy :lol:
NikiB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NikiB »

Hey :)

Ive got the browser-ram extension, so my question is if thats enough ram to play it fluently in more stable generations?
Or should I consider getting a new system with more ram?

Anyways: Great work, I didnt imagine that this is possible.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

yellowstar wrote:I found a bug, with my DS-X.

There isn't any savegames on my card that I know of...
The game is trying to load the title screen savegame, which is stored in data/opntitle.dat. But I'm puzzled why it works for everybody else but you. Please try both of the following:
1. Delete data/opntitle.dat. Now the game should load with a blank (only water) title screen.
2. Copy opntitle.dat again to your card. If it works the file on your card was simply broken.

I hope it's not a general issue with loading files from DS-X cards, since I can't test those.
BastarB wrote:This Error occured during a gameplay of OpenTTD DS the alpha 5 sound version!

I have made a savegame just before the error occurs!
I renamed it to "The Error.sav" the original name was "Wentfingpool Transport, 12th Jun 1950.sav".
It occurs when the bus (I just got one vehicle in this game) has left the busstation!
Thanks for the great error report! I was able to locate the problem and it is again a stack overflow with the pathfinder. This time it's with the original TTD pathfinder which uses too many recursions (up to 170 in your savegame). The new global pathfinder (NPF) seems to work fine. To fix your problem navigate to "Configure Patches -> Vehicles" and activate "New Global Pathfinder". In the future I will fully disable any other pathfinders. Let's hope that NPF works in all situations.
NikiB wrote:Ive got the browser-ram extension, so my question is if thats enough ram to play it fluently in more stable generations?
Or should I consider getting a new system with more ram?
The Opera extension has 8 MB of RAM while others like the EZ 3-in-1 have 16 MB. If you compare those to less than 2 MB which the port currently has then I think 8 MB should be more than enough. But I can't say for sure if 16 MB won't bring additional benefits. We'll have to wait until I get to the point to implement support for memory extensions.
- Korenn
NikiB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NikiB »

dominik81 wrote: The Opera extension has 8 MB of RAM while others like the EZ 3-in-1 have 16 MB. If you compare those to less than 2 MB which the port currently has then I think 8 MB should be more than enough. But I can't say for sure if 16 MB won't bring additional benefits. We'll have to wait until I get to the point to implement support for memory extensions.
Thanks.

Any idea when ram support will come? The 2 mb seem to be full very fast ;p
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

NikiB wrote:
dominik81 wrote: The Opera extension has 8 MB of RAM while others like the EZ 3-in-1 have 16 MB. If you compare those to less than 2 MB which the port currently has then I think 8 MB should be more than enough. But I can't say for sure if 16 MB won't bring additional benefits. We'll have to wait until I get to the point to implement support for memory extensions.
Thanks.

Any idea when ram support will come? The 2 mb seem to be full very fast ;p
NikiB! You can check the roadmap of this DS port which is available here: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Nintendo_DS#Roadmap
I think it will answer your question, but however we can't know how long it will take until we got support for extra ram(correct me if i'm wrong)! I think quality takes time, and Dominik has already done an excellent job on his port :D But of course it's never wrong to ask questions :wink: Have a nice day NikiB :)

And Dominik, it would be very kind of you if you can add the link too the Roadmap in the intial post :D

Nice to hear that the bug I discovered wasn't something too serious :wink: You also have a nice day Dominik :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”