Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by weaselboy246 »

I think Ctrl would be good for Y. and Dynamite for X. And would it be possible to change R to close top window instead of all? That's all I have to say about buttons.
AlexFili
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexFili »

There's no need for only getting rid of the top most windows only, you can prevent a window from closing by clicking the 'pin' symbol. When its highlighted, the window wont close with R.

Bind dynamite to a button if you must, but I have a few better suggestions for button binds.

Ctrl+(for extra options)
Shift+(for evaluating price)
Pause(Start would be best for this)

Again, excellent work so far!
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

AlexFili wrote:- No Music or Sound as yet. I'm guessing you might need to convert the music to NDS format somehow?
Using libmpg should enable the playback of mp3 files, though the format TTD uses are midi and wave. And I haven't seen any good playback libs for those on the DS.

For the Quit feature you could make the DS turn automaticly off, or reboot using "soft reset". Though I don't know how to do that correctly ;)
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

And if you wanted to get illegal, could convert the MIDI to a Modular format using GM.dls for the soundfonts and use libmod. I think someone owns rights to GM.dls, even though it comes with every Windows installation.
AlexFili
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexFili »

What we are doing is already illegal, once by copying the transport tycoon data files, and once again for running homebrew apps. Using the midis would be best.
bobulator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobulator »

Still, it's only a stop-gap (can't wait for the opensource 8bpp set).

On that note, has anyone tested the 32bpp test tar files yet?

really want an r4ds...
Erm...
Thats It.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Nothing is illegal about running homebrew on your Nintendo DS! That's bulls***! Nintendo maybe doesn't like it, but there is no law against it. Even Amazon is selling cards like the R4DS. As for copying the TTD data files. I hope it is clear that you are only allowed to copy them to your DS if you legally own TTD. Which I hope all of you do. You can get TTD from Ebay real cheap.

That's all I'll have to say on this topic. I'll answer the other questions / suggestions later.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

Never said homebrew on DS is illegal, just probably don't have permissions to use the GM soundfonts. But since A LOT of other things about homebrew isn't about having permissions, using modular music might be a good idea for DS. Problem about MIDI is that it has all the notes but no sound without a controller with soundfonts (sound card, DirectX), but everything about modules (MOD, XM, S3M, IT) is self-contained.

EDIT: Example Module attached using GM soundfonts.

EDIT 2: found gmreadme.txt.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMREADME.TXT
Copyright (c) 1998-2000 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
------------

The GM.DLS file contains the Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set which is
protected under the following copyright:
Roland GS Sound Set/Microsoft (P) 1996 Roland Corporation U.S.
The Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set is licensed under Microsoft's
End User License Agreement for use with Microsoft operating
system products only. All other uses require a separate written
license from Roland.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
gm_tt00.zip
Title Theme
(346.46 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
sforget
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sforget »

AlexFili wrote:What we are doing is already illegal, once by copying the transport tycoon data files, and once again for running homebrew apps. Using the midis would be best.

Which part of that is illegal?

The only part that may be even remotely illegal is if you get your Data files from a source other than your very own copy of TTD. If you download TTD or get it from a friend than any use of the TTD files is illegal - whether for OpenTTD, or even just taking up HD space.
TT Player since 1994.
-| Home Page |- -| Save Server Passwords Patch |-
Image - Live ScreenShots
fryfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fryfrog »

AntBUK wrote:Ok, This is about the limit of my capabilities at the moment. You might want to add it to your openttd.cfg under NewGRF-static,
Example:

Code: Select all

[newgrf-static]
fat:\openttd\data\dstoolbar.grf
Saves having to add it in every time you load the game. You can also just put it under newgrf if you want it to display in the NewGRF window.

I've used all the icons I've been given except for the swap screens buttons as I don't know how to place them in a GRF file for later use. I also don't know how to replace the fast-forward button and the Tiki doesn't give much information about OpenTTD Buttons ;)

Edit: I should add that making it static seems to make it take a bit longer to load :)
Hi, I am new to OpenTTD and OpenTTD on the DS.

I've followed your guidelines and just cannot seem to replace the big, over-lapping tool bar with yours. The file is in /openttd/data, it shows up in the "newgrf" options and I can add it and such. In a game, I see it with a "green" icon. I've put it in both places in the .ini (newgrf and newgrf-static). What am I doing wrong?

Also... it seems to me that the status line should be on the top screen normally and the menu bar on the bottom. One could simply keep them swapped at all times, but... that means scrolling around is weird.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

fryfrog wrote: I've followed your guidelines and just cannot seem to replace the big, over-lapping tool bar with yours. The file is in /openttd/data, it shows up in the "newgrf" options and I can add it and such. In a game, I see it with a "green" icon. I've put it in both places in the .ini (newgrf and newgrf-static). What am I doing wrong?
My GRF does not actually change the toolbar itself, only the graphics. to my knowledge changing the toolbar requires changing the code (correct me if I'm wrong DaleStan/Devs) and is in preperation for when Dominik81 does modify the code for the toolbar.
dominik81 wrote:Nothing is illegal about running homebrew on your Nintendo DS!
He knows ;) He's from the DCEmu Forums which seem to scour the net for homebrew releases :D
dominik81 wrote:Even Amazon is selling cards like the R4DS.
That's where I got mine from :)
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
fryfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fryfrog »

Ah, so for now I am simply stuck with the big hard to use tool bar. Glad I am not stoopid :)
AlexFili
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexFili »

Ah, sorry for being a bit forward on the illegality issue.
I indeed own Transport Tycoon & World Builder, Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Transport Tycoon PS1.
But at the same time, you never know wether someone indeed has the game, or whether they just got the files from a friend.

Well, as far as I can see, the DS version works perfectly, with maybe a few problems;

- Can't adjust snow line height on 'new game' window.
- Cannot increase year on 'new game' window.
- Memory issue (but theres not a lot you can do about that).

Also, I'm not sure if the bug is in the OpenTTD PC version as well, but when I load the managers face, his hair is the wrong color.
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

Maybe it's nice to add stylus-powered scrolling to the game?
Like this patch does for the left mouse-button: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35987
RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

Hehe so nice, one more reason to considering getting an Nintendo Ds :) would be nice to be able to play when you arent at home :D
Feel free to join my server on 90.185.50.242. its coop, meaning 1 company to dominate the whole map :) its more random and not as pro as the Openttd Coop guys.
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Guys, I'd just like to say that you are all awesome and I love you :)

DS OTTD has been something I've longed for ever since I got my homebrew DS device thingy :)
bobulator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobulator »

What about Wi-Fi multiplayer?
Erm...
Thats It.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

At a guess that's a LONG way off...

I think most of the network code would need rewriting and dswifilib or whatever its called would need putting in.
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

BastarB wrote:I just wonder if you know how much slower a memory expansion card (like the EZ-flash 3-1) is compared to the internal ram in the DS? Is it huge? :shock:
4x slower sounds about right. I'll have to see if it is feasible with OpenTTD. One thing that will definitely improve with a Slot2 memory card is the lag while scrolling and when the map is zoomed out. Those problems are due to the fact that the sprites have too be loaded from the SD card, which is horribly slow.
XoIN wrote:Quit game crashes the game, Exit game just freezes it(maybe turn into shutdown ds?).
Should be fixed for the next version. Please tell me again if it's not.
BastarB wrote:But if when I tried to buy ships, the game just freezed! Not because of the buy action itself, but when a ship docked at a dock! Correct me if i'm wrong!
I wasn't able to reproduce this. Please send me a savegame that crashes and your openttd.cfg file.
elf_sander wrote:Using libmpg should enable the playback of mp3 files, though the format TTD uses are midi and wave. And I haven't seen any good playback libs for those on the DS.
I have a roadmap for the Nintendo DS port. You can check it out in the Wiki.
As you can see, the next version will mostly add sound and music. I have sound effects running already, but music is a bit of a problem. As you pointed out correctly, there is no suitable midi lib for the DS. So what I'm doing right now is writing my own ARM7 midi player using PSG sounds. And that takes quite some time as I have no experience with sound programming at all. If I'm lucky, a midi lib will be written by someone else before mine is done. Converting the midi files into a more suitable format is not an option imo.
bobulator wrote:On that note, has anyone tested the 32bpp test tar files yet?
The DS port is compiled without the 32bpp blitter.
AlexFili wrote:- Can't adjust snow line height on 'new game' window.
- Cannot increase year on 'new game' window.
Those issues are scheduled to be solved in Alpha 6, the GUI-related release.
elf_sander wrote:Maybe it's nice to add stylus-powered scrolling to the game?
Like this patch does for the left mouse-button: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35987
Yes, that's a neat idea. If it doesn't get added to trunk, I'll add it to the DS port.
bobulator wrote:What about Wi-Fi multiplayer?
If (big, big if) it is possible, it is still a long ways off. It's on my roadmap for Alpha 9. But I can't say if it will work at all yet, so don't get your hopes up on this.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

dominik81 wrote:
BastarB wrote:But if when I tried to buy ships, the game just freezed! Not because of the buy action itself, but when a ship docked at a dock! Correct me if i'm wrong!
I wasn't able to reproduce this. Please send me a savegame that crashes and your openttd.cfg file.

It's very weird, because I tried to reproduce this bug yesterday and I didn't success :o !
I used the same savegame in which the crash occured the first time!
Maybe it just was a coincidence that the game crashed exactly when the ship docked at the dock, I don't know!?!?
however it crashed two times in a row!
But yesterday it never crashed :o

Sorry, next time I will be more careful before I post bugs!

If the savegame can be to any help I will post it in a later reply! but right now I don't have
the possibility to post it!

Have a nice day Dominik!

This game brings magic to the Nintendo DS!!! :D :D
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
Over 16000 levels to solve!!!!!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”